Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SuperCharger Questions and Problems

Old 05-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
headbasha is on a distinguished road
headbasha's Tacoma Gallery
SuperCharger Questions and Problems

Hello,

I just bought my first 2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road SR5 4x4 Double cab. It has 125k miles, It has the gen 2 Supercharger.

Its not running right at all, i have it at my local mechanic and he is working on it. We are replacing plugs, boots for now. I have some pictures that needs diagnosed by some toyo techs who has a S/C and modded it. This S/C looks like its been modded at one time and then taken off. Not sure what is going on. Can anyone explain what is going on? The truck runs fine till you hit boost levels or around 2500 RPM it starts stuttering and just acting lazy. Its also only making around 3 lb of boost.

Mechanic said it looks like it has a 7th injector but its not hooked to anything. There are additional wires that go down and into the fire wall and into the glove box. I havent taken it apart yet to see what they go to.
Attached Thumbnails
SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5047.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5051.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5052.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5053.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5054.jpg  

Old 05-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Find out where and what the wires go to for that injector, then replace your fuel filter unless it was just done? maybe have him do a fuel pump test? find the vacuum diagram for the Supercharger and make sure it is right and the Check valve is installed and working (its on the instructions) maybe also have him do a compression test and see how the motor is doing.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
I looked up a install guide to the URD 7th injector kit and started a reverse break down of it and pulled out the glove box and found out it is a TRD 7th Injector Kit.

Everything looks intact and still hooked up once i pulled up their install guide. I still dont know why my truck is not running properly though.

Any Ideas? I guess time will tell after i get the IK22 plugs and boots in.
Attached Thumbnails
SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5059.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5060.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5061.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Could be the spark plugs. If the gap is too big (from improper gapping or over wear), the boost can "blow out" the spark, causing a miss fire. Also sounds like there may be a sensor issue (MAF and O2 sensors should be checked).
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Take it off and sell it to me
Old 05-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
What is the gap in the plug suppose to be? Ive searched around and its saying anywhere from 32 to 42. Im using the IK22 like i said earlier.

Here are some of the pics, flew out sat morning at 4am to houston, tx, drove back to Alabama and got home at 10pm. 18hr journey over 1200 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5037.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-img_5044.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-p1.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-p6.jpg   SuperCharger Questions and Problems-p4.jpg  

Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
DAMOS is on a distinguished road

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
no cel?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbasha View Post
What is the gap in the plug suppose to be? Ive searched around and its saying anywhere from 32 to 42. Im using the IK22 like i said earlier.

Here are some of the pics, flew out sat morning at 4am to houston, tx, drove back to Alabama and got home at 10pm. 18hr journey over 1200 miles.
I think its .040-.044. Pull one out and post a picture.

You should be using a dual prong spark plug too. It wont make a difference really, but the single prong will wear out too fast (the Tacoma sparks twice every 4 strokes).
Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Wait for it...

Just a thought, someone had a similar issue and couldnt figure it out for a while. Turned out to be a clogged cat converter.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
Are you putting in the 91 or higher fuel?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Ok, here goes and update.

Just did a top end service, tune up, clean. New ik22 plugs, new ngk wire set, new fuel filter, new plug boots. The miss is gone. But now its shooting cat conv pieces out the tail pipe. It is also only making 2lb boost and is very slow.

It's at the exhaust shop now removing the cats, it had 2.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Just a thought, someone had a similar issue and couldnt figure it out for a while. Turned out to be a clogged cat converter.

This ^^
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
That was me...I had lack of power...not lack of boost. I was actually over boosting with clogged cats.

Quote:
Ok, here goes and update.

Just did a top end service, tune up, clean. New ik22 plugs, new ngk wire set, new fuel filter, new plug boots. The miss is gone. But now its shooting cat conv pieces out the tail pipe. It is also only making 2lb boost and is very slow.

It's at the exhaust shop now removing the cats, it had 2.
If the cats were clogged if the supercharger was doing it's job, you'd be making MORE boost, not less. The back pressure would build up and back into the manifold. At least that's exactly what happened when my cats were clogged. On a good day I boost around 8, with clogged cats I was over 11.

Start your IK22 gap at .043 and tune to your liking

Only 2 lbs of boost sounds like a different problem. Could be any number of issues. Anything from simple shit like just a crack in the vacuum line to the boost gauge (also happened to me). Belt could be slipping (check for belt dust around the snout and pulley. Can't tell if you have the dynamic or manual belt tensioner, but loose belt can cause lack of boost. The s/c actuator or vacuum line to the actuator could have a hole in the diaphragm causing it to not shut the actuator under boost. Worst case it could be the rotor inside the supercharger. Gonna cost you about $1000 for a full s/c rebuild including new rotor.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Sounds like a massive vacuum leak to me somewhere.
A pinhole vacuum leak could be enough to prevent the actuator from closing and sending the boost down the intake.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
I've relayed the info, I really hope it is the vacuum issue. If it is the supercharger then who rebuilds them? What kind of turn around time is a rebuild? Is there anything else that can be done to the sc besides rebuilding it?

If it is a vacuum issue. What kind of maintenance should be done to the sc. I've read a few different things about it should be maintenance free for 100k miles and other people say service nose cone at 60k.

I wanted to upgrade the trd 7th injector to the URD and add the 2.2 pulley but now the whole damn system has me concerned. If the supercharger did go bad and needs rebuild what did it do to the rest of the engine.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
chvymechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
chvymechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chvymechanic
I just had mine rebuilt at Stiegmeier, $695. Excellent service and beyond excellent customer service.

http://www.stiegemeier.com/rebuild.html
Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
I've relayed the info, I really hope it is the vacuum issue. If it is the supercharger then who rebuilds them? What kind of turn around time is a rebuild? Is there anything else that can be done to the sc besides rebuilding it?

If it is a vacuum issue. What kind of maintenance should be done to the sc. I've read a few different things about it should be maintenance free for 100k miles and other people say service nose cone at 60k.

I wanted to upgrade the trd 7th injector to the URD and add the 2.2 pulley but now the whole damn system has me concerned. If the supercharger did go bad and needs rebuild what did it do to the rest of the engine.

If you're not comfortable doing the s/c work, Magnuson can do anything and everything for it. They actually manufacture the s/c for TRD. When I had mine rebuilt it was back in my hands in about 2.5 weeks from the time I dropped it off at UPS.

As far as s/c maintenance, it depends on how far you want to take it. You can do as little as replace the oil, to seals, to bearings, and including the nose cone as you mentioned. There's only 1 vacuum hose on the supercharger, and it goes directly to the actuator so that's simple. Visibly you can open the actuator to see if there's a hole in the actuator diaphragm. The actuator itself is only around 40 bucks.

Supercharger/rotor can go bad for any number of reasons, mostly because of sand/dirt/salt particles entering into the intake. Open air filters such as K&N are the number one cause. If you run an aftermarket intake, make sure you run a prefilter screen over the filter.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
chvymechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
chvymechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chvymechanic
I had to buy the actuator for my supercharger and bought it from Magnuson and I was told on ttora that it would be around $40. I guess that's what they use to charge, I paid $70. Just an FYI/update.