Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Broken Bolts

Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Shawster is on a distinguished road
Shawster's Tacoma Gallery
Broken Bolts

Hey guys,

First time posting as I've been away from the Tacoma world for awhile. Previous trucks were a new 91 Extra cab, new 2005 TRD Sport and my daily driver is a 2008 Highlander Sport. Don't laugh the Highlander is a surprisingly great commuter vehicle with tons of power and comfort. Recently picked up a 2003 Xtra Cab V6 4WD to play with. Truck has 220,000 KM and originally came from British Columbia. Truck is solid but needs a few things that I'm beginning to tackle. What surprises me is considering the truck has no real rust, and the frame is solid, I'm breaking bolts like crazy.

Took out the interior seats to give it a good cleaning, broke the passenger left front bolt. Of course that one is captured and good luck drilling it out. My fix for that was to weld in a stud and and have just use a nut - the way it should've been designed in the first place. Next was to change out the tailgate cables and take the gate off to clean it up. Broke one of the bolts holding the strap and then broke a bolt holding the gate in. This truck is kicking my ass for bolt extraction.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
Your breaking them to easily, do you turn green when your angry
(hulk like) lol
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Ray Beeze is on a distinguished road
Name: Ray
Location: Conveniently located between Graceland and The Smoky Mountains
Ray Beeze's Tacoma Gallery
Galvanic rust, maybe? Two unlike metals contacting each other will have some electrolytic corrosion and salt air only exacerbates it.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Beeze View Post
Galvanic rust, maybe? Two unlike metals contacting each other will have some electrolytic corrosion and salt air only exacerbates it.
Damn that salty exacerbator!

This does make sense tho...
Old 05-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Shawster is on a distinguished road
Shawster's Tacoma Gallery
bolts

Just using a ratchet. I like the metal explanation. Salt is nasty stuff. End up having to cut the tailgate bolts off. Surprised on how easy it was to cut. My tap and die set is going to get a workout.