Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake Fluid? Castrol LMA synthetic okay to use?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
stinkyspice has a spectacular aura aboutstinkyspice has a spectacular aura about
stinkyspice's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Fluid? Castrol LMA synthetic okay to use?

ive recently got the wheelers ss brake lines all around was planning on changing them all this week. was wandering about the fluid i have a huge ass bottle of castrol lma synthetic brake fluid sitting in the garaged. is it alright to use this fluid in the tacoma. its a 03 DC. is it alright to just mix with the fluid in there when im bleeding the brakes? sorry if a dumb question lol. dont know much about bleeding brakes....

thanks for any help
Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
I would stick to conventional brake fluid.. Synthetic fluid doesn't absorb water like regular does, therefore when moisture enters the system it will sit in the lines and cause corrosion. The conventional fluid would absorb the moisture, then after its shot you flush it out and everything's awesome. My vote says get some conventional and do a brake flush front and back
Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
swdockter is on a distinguished road

swdockter's Tacoma Gallery
If you go to dot 5 (silicone), you have to complexly flush your brake lines and calipers...ever little bit of dot 3/4 fluid has to be cleaned out. It's a big hassle to do it right.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Dismembered
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
If it's a sealed bottle, I'd go for it. Since it absorbs less moisture, you won't have to flush/bleed as often. Just make sure to bleed all the old out.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
stinkyspice has a spectacular aura aboutstinkyspice has a spectacular aura about
thats where im confused it doesnt say dot 5 anywhere.. just says synthetic. unless synthetic is dot 5?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
swdockter is on a distinguished road

swdockter's Tacoma Gallery
Dot 5 is silicone...should be purple in color to. That is how they indicate the difference. It is NOT compatible with Dot 3 or 4.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Dismembered
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
DOT 4:http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify....ic-brake-fluid
Old 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Cool thanks for the help would. I found some more info saying that the castrol lma is in its own class it's not a dot 5.1 nor a 4 but is comparable with dot 3 and 4.
Here is the link to the article if anybody is interested.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/brakefluid.html
Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
what size flare nut wrenches would i need is it a 10mm and a 17 mm? its an 03 double cab