Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New to the "Lift Kit" World

Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
New to the "Lift Kit" World

I finally have the truck I've always wanted... 2001 3.4L TRD DC 2WD

I've always like the look of trucks that have a slight lift (3") and that's what I want to get for my Tacoma, about a 3 inch lift.

Since im new to all this lift stuff, I'm trying to do my homework and research as much as I can. Here's what I have so far...

I can either go with a lift kit that's either a 2.5" or 3"? or

I can go with the Donahoe Coilovers in the front and Bilstein 5100 and new leafs in the Rear?

My main question is if I go with the Donahoes and Bilsteins w/ leafs do I need anything else done to the Stock Tacoma? Or is that all I need, just the front Coilovers and rear shock w/ leafs? In my mind I'm thinking how can only Coilovers in the front hold all that weight to Lift the truck 2-2.5" and hold it for years to come? Does there have to be anything else supporting the front that I need to add?

Here's a simpler way of asking my question... Is adding the Donahoe Coilovers to the front axel and Bilstein 5100's w/ 8 pack leafs to the rear a Lift Kit within its self? If it is will my Taco be level?

Thanks for all help!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
the front coilover is what holds the weight of the front of the truck, and the leafs hold the rear up (and to the axle)

you'll be fine with that setup, though you might want to look into longer brake lines in the rear and make sure that the 5100's are extended to handle the lift
what leaf pack are you looking at?

there's always more you can do, it depends on your budget
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As for leaf packs I'm looking at All Pro, Icon, or Donahoe (if they have them). If Deaver still makes them then that's also an option. For the size I was thinking an 8-10 leaf pack. I would think that's plenty to get the height I want. Could that be too much spring? Which brand or size would u recommend?

When you say there's more I could do... In what terms? Like I said I'm new so please throw some knowledge at me!

Thanks!

As for $, I have saved enough so I'm looking for quality, reliability, durability. I don't want to Half-ass it and buy something that only lasts a year or two. I don't do much off roading. It's mainly for height and smooth ride.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
Here's a simpler way of asking my question... Is adding the Donahoe Coilovers to the front axel and Bilstein 5100's w/ 8 pack leafs to the rear a Lift Kit within its self? If it is will my Taco be level?
I would call that a "performance suspension kit"...
Not a race suspension tho' (reserved for LT)
lift is simply a by product of adding those components.

* A 1st gen Tacoma 4X should not exceed more then 2.5" (2.75" max)
of suspension lift over the factory ride height.
Some folk push to 3" (pre runners no problem)
But 4X's will likely have issues down the road
with cv boots, steering components/linkage and premature driveline wear/failures.
Tho' all consumable's... premature component wear sucks IMO

Because the front will be fully adjustable... (Icon's)
This allows you to compensate for ride height/level
both front to rear and left to right.

I have the same set up...
except I had Joel @ Deaver alter my production 8lf paks
and build custom 9lf paks outta them.

The 8lf production paks were fine originally...
but after 4-5 years of wheeling them hard...
plus dragging a trailer around some
...was time for a rebuild.

During rebuild... Joel @ Deaver engineered the paks
so that they would minimize the infamous axle wrap issue. (helped a bunch)
And while the lf paks were being rebuilt...
had Joel put about 1/2" more arch to the driver's side spring pak.

This assists the truck with sitting level left/right,
without having to compensate the driver's side coil-over pre-load differently
then the passenger side pre-load to level the truck.
(reason: extra weight on the drvr's side, driver, battery and fuel tank)

^ this cannot be ordered with the production 8lf paks...
as those come generic and with equal arch to both L/R paks.
It would require ordering a custom lf pak... or having the 8lf paks reconstructed.

If you already own the 8lf paks...
Deaver used to charge about $200. to rebuild those to your specifications.
(^ mine were retail prod. 8lf paks originally, then converted to Cust. 9lf paks)

Quote:
When you say there's more I could do... In what terms? Like I said I'm new so please throw some knowledge at me!
Besides extending the length of the Rr. brake line...
Even more critical is adjusting the Rr. brake proportioning valve/rod end.
Yeah that little rod thinga-ma-jiggy that goes from the top of the axle
over to the driver's side frame.
On the axle... the rod mount will need be raised the same amount of lift
that the new lf springs offer.

* It's simply a piece of flat stock with some holes drilled in it...
to allow for valve's rod to be raised off the axle housing higher.
^ this will keep your rear brakes working properly.

Retuning to the subject of the Rr. brake line...
I still have the original... The limiting factor will be the Rr. shock travel lengths.
If the '52 and '53 series 5125's are used.
They have a travel range of 8" and 8.5" respectively. (staggered oem shock mounts)
If using these 5125's... you will not have to add the extended brake line.
But it will definitely make it easier if you have to drop the axle to work on that.

Quote:
As for $, I have saved enough so I'm looking for quality, reliability, durability. I don't want to Half-ass it and buy something that only lasts a year or two. I don't do much off roading. It's mainly for height and smooth ride.
You could spend thousands of dollars on suspension stuff.
It all depends on how you plan to use it...

There is Mid Travel suspension systems, Long Travel suspension systems
and even a front solid axle conversion (leaf sprung or linked w CO's)

All of this cost lots of money... especially if you pay others to do the install.
Doing it yourself saves a bunch.

So how many thousands do you have for your budget ?
What type of off road function do you wish to be capable of ?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

Thanks So Much TacoDell! Good to get info from someone who has the same setup I want. About how much am I looking at spending if I order everything online and install my self. Again, that's the...
-Donahoe Coilovers in front (I've heard it's ICON now?)
-9 pack leaf springs in rear
-Bilstein 5125's in rear

I have about 3k that I've saved, but I also want to buy 255/85/16 or 255/80/17. Prob BFG muds. So some of that needs to be saved for the tires only. I'm hoping I can do both the susspinsion I want and the BFG tires I want on 3K.

Let me know what you think. I've talked to some custom truck stores around austin and I hope their prices are HIGH. Because they quoted me $2000 for the setup I'm looking for but it was all ICON brand. Came with Coilovers in front, ICON shocks in back and AAL's for the spring. My stock leaf pack spring is shot, completely flat. So I think AAL's on my spring is just like putting a bandaid on it. I wanna get a new set.

That's so much for the help!