Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

how much horse power stock?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
how much horse power stock?

what kinda horse power did the 2.7 ltr engine come with stock? what r some cheaper things to do, to get a bit more out of it? also, what would be the best headers for these engines? thanks!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
chamuco12 is on a distinguished road

chamuco12's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2.7 4x4 and they seem to have decent power stock. I have a k&n intake kit, flowmaster exhaust and this morning i am about to install some doug thorley headers on the puppy...ill let u know if it feels any different afterwards...oh and i already purchased an electric radiator fan for it its on back order...the less belt drag on the engine the better...any little bit helps. (the manufacturer also says it will help on fuel efficiensy as well). up to 10%. not much but enough to convice me....i am currently buying this stuff from advancedspecialties.com check em out for more info
Old 02-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #3

im not exactly sure what the horsepower on your engine is...i have a 2.7 as well. I love it. the only mods so far are a k&n intake kit, flowmaster exhaust"custom made" to sit snug up against the body instead of hanging about six inches below the body(stock). also im about to do my first header install on this puppy...ill let youknow how it goes...
Old 02-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #4

if you can let them know that chamuco refered you there...thanx
Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
The 'official' (factory spec) 1999 3RZ ratings were as follows:

HP (SAE Net): 150 HP @ 4800 RPM
Torque: 177 lb.-ft. @ 4000 RPM
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My 2000 2.7 (same as yours) dynoed at 105 h.p. to the tires. North West Off Road makes an AWSOME header (Try-Y) that really wakes up the engine. Also, Alpine makes a bolt on supercharger for that motor. I installed the Alpine supercharger, NWOR headers, and an exhaust, and I dynoed 168 h.p. before any real tuning. Best things I did for that engine.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
^ Forced Induction FTMFW!!!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
^ Forced Induction FTMFW!!!!!
X2!!!
I never ran my truck on the dyno after I had it tuned, but with 105 octain, my buddy ( road racer) couldnt shift out of first before the engine hit the limiter! That little truck could burn 32's thru second gear, and I could get a 60 mph chirp in 3rd!
My favorite pic at Joshua Tree, CA. Second gear 5000 rpm maybe going 10 mph:
Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Hahahaha thats awesome!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Hahahaha thats awesome!
Thanks! You can see my tracks in the snd from the first run I did, and this dude came up to me wanting me to do it again so he could take a pic. SO, I had to do it again.

Only thing that sucked, was I had my window down, so I got about 80# of sand on my lap.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia View Post
The 'official' (factory spec) 1999 3RZ ratings were as follows:

HP (SAE Net): 150 HP @ 4800 RPM
Torque: 177 lb.-ft. @ 4000 RPM
cool man, i appreciate the help. i was just interested in knowing what they were stock!

im interested in getting a header, not exactly sure what to get, or when ill be able to get 1!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamuco12 View Post
im not exactly sure what the horsepower on your engine is...i have a 2.7 as well. I love it. the only mods so far are a k&n intake kit, flowmaster exhaust"custom made" to sit snug up against the body instead of hanging about six inches below the body(stock). also im about to do my first header install on this puppy...ill let youknow how it goes...

yeah man, let me know on the header install. i will check out that web site, & be sure to mention u! thanks man.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsalmostfree View Post
yeah man, let me know on the header install. i will check out that web site, & be sure to mention u! thanks man.
Header install is pretty easy. The ONLY snag you will have is the EGR collector (not sure exactly what its called) is on the rear of the engine. I had to use my Wifes (Girlfriend at the time) little mirror to see behind the engine so I could disconnect the bolt. I would like to recomend the NWOR Try Y header for your truck, as the gains were very impressive. It felt like I was in 4th gear when I was actually in 5th.
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/triheaders.html

If you deside on a header, be sure to buy the OEM Toyota gaskets. Even if the header manufacture says "No gaskets required" its BS. You need the gaskets. And some Copper RTV.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Header install is pretty easy. The ONLY snag you will have is the EGR collector (not sure exactly what its called) is on the rear of the engine. I had to use my Wifes (Girlfriend at the time) little mirror to see behind the engine so I could disconnect the bolt. I would like to recomend the NWOR Try Y header for your truck, as the gains were very impressive. It felt like I was in 4th gear when I was actually in 5th.
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/triheaders.html

If you deside on a header, be sure to buy the OEM Toyota gaskets. Even if the header manufacture says "No gaskets required" its BS. You need the gaskets. And some Copper RTV.

cool, thanks for the help. im not getting a header yet, but im going to check that egr collector out!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #15

my question is ....do you need the EGR or whats it for?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It recycles exhaust gases. Completely useless and gets your intake manifold SOOOOOO dirty, its sickening. I eliminated mine and soddered a 10k resistor in the EGR plug.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Quote:
It recycles exhaust gases. Completely useless and gets your intake manifold SOOOOOO dirty, its sickening. I eliminated mine and soddered a 10k resistor in the EGR plug.

What Dually said, but I kept mine for emission reasons. Didnt notice any loss of power.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #18
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yeh, if we had emissions testing it wouldnt have been removed, but the turbo mani has no flanges to bolt it too. If you dont have to, dont remove it.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #19

my headers dont have anywhere to connect it to..so what...how is it eliminated. this is frustrating..and its supposed to be an easy install.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #20

Quote:
my headers dont have anywhere to connect it to..so what...how is it eliminated. this is frustrating..and its supposed to be an easy install.
What headers do you have?