1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad timing belt or water pump?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mainmoe02, May 15, 2013.

1. May 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Hey guys so I have a weird rumbling noise comming from somewhere near the fan, radiator, or inside where the timing belt is. My 2001 3.4L TRD started driving slightly different today. I kinda scensed a loss of power, kinda felt like it took more work for the engine to get the tires moving. Anyway I do have really old and cracked drive belts that go around the PS pump, one goes around the Alternator, and the other goes around the AC compressor. I can't tell if the rumbling noise is comming from the radiator, the fan, the belts, or the timing belt and water pump area.

My main question is does anyone know what are some symptoms of a bad timing belt or water pump? Like I said I noticed a slight loss of power today, also when I was driving home I noticed it started to idle a little more rough. Not seriously vibrating the truck, but more than usual. Also can still hear that rumbling sound I can hear it best when my ear is close to the radiator I between the fan and the engine. I do know that it's not comming from the engine.

2. May 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    A bad timing belt makes no noise it just breaks. When you replace the bad drive belts. do them one at a time and listen when the belt is off try the next one and so on. If the noise is still there it's some thing under the cover pump or idlers.

3. May 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    The radiator fan is mounted on an idler pulley that's bolted to the engine. This is not inside the timing belt cover, but it's a big metal piece in the front of the engine. If the water pump or one of the idlers is starting to jam up it can make the idle jump once in a while.

Get a really long screwdriver or piece of wood and hold one end on the idler and the other end on your ear with the motor running. You will look ridiculous, but it will help you find the noise. Also, you can get a mechanic's stethoscope to locate the source of noise. It's good for checking to see if injectors are working too.

Products Discussed in

To Top