1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear brake help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 4banger4x4, May 15, 2013.

1. May 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    4banger4x4

4banger4x4 [OP] Probably should'nt have done that.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    So I swapped in my 4.56s today and in doing so I pulled the axle shafts out 3" on each side and when I put them back in and noticed that now my pads were rubbing on the drums. Thinking it was the ebrake I adjusted accordingly and they were still rubbing so bad I had to pry the drums off. When I got the drums off I adjusted the pads to the point that they weren't rubbing anymore. But when I went out and drove my truck it feels like the brakes are way out of whack. I just don't understand any of this because I didn't touch the brakes at all during the gear instal. Any thoughts?

2. May 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    No one?

3. May 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    There are adjusters on the back plate for the rear drum/ axle. Look on the inner side of the plate and there should be a little slot window. This covers the ratcheting adjuster mechanism. You adjust this by using a screwdriver to catch the teeth of the ratcheting mechanism and turning it until you get the right tension. You are going to need to loosen this. To do that you'll need two screwdrivers (one to pull the "catch" for the mechanism back, the other to turn it) Another way to do it is to pull the drums off to access the mechanism directly. Then you just loosen it waay up, reinstall the drum, then tighten to the proper setting.

I realize that my description sucks, but your Chiltons manual will have pictures and instructions to describe the process. Feel free to ask specific questions and I'll try to do a better job of describing the process as you need.

4. May 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    I already did this, my issue is that I dont know why i have to do this when i didnt touch the drums when i pulled the axles. and now because i have adjusted them my pedal has a completely different feel now and my stopping power is so much less

5. May 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    follow previous instructions AND then bleed the brakes...

6. May 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    That was going to be my next plan of attack. I hope it works cause i really dont want to do the disc conversion if I dont have to right now

7. May 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    I have been thinking pretty hard about doing a rear brake to disc. Last one i looked at Downey off road was in business,( tell you how long ago this was)..

I do believe someone had a slick idea for the parking brake it was mounted at the rear of the transfer case. It was cool looked at it was only for 2004 and above so i never looked at them again..

Me personally if i can find a kit that uses TOYOTA calipers and not GM ones i would jump on it....

8. May 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    someone on ttora is selling the TG kit brand new for a steal so thats why im considering it. and ALL-pro has the Tcase mounted parking brake. Looks bitchin!

why no GM calipers for you?

Products Discussed in

To Top