1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

97 tacoma loss of power

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beaver trapper, May 17, 2013.

1. May 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    beaver trapper

beaver trapper [OP] Active Member

Member:
    arkansas
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    97 4x4 4 cylinder manual trans. 177,000 miles. recently i have a loss of power. changed fuel and air filter, ran a can of sea foam in it, no change. if its in nuetral and floor it it just sputters, going up hill it is horrible, the motor revs up to 55 or 60 mph but it cant go, got to let off gas and gear way down. it does have an exhaust leak on the right side of the motor. could that make it lose that much power? need ideas before i take it to a mechanic.
    any ideas appreciated greatly

2. May 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Stephen1231

Stephen1231 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Mobile Al
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5spd
    Engine freshly rebuilt due to blown head gasket, built my own CAI, EGR delete from LCEngineering, Billstein 5125's in the back with GM leafs, I can't stand paying for something that I can make in my garage so I built my own spacers for the front and tweaked them for 3" of lift.
    I had a tahoe that had the same problems, and I had a friend put a fuel pressure gauge on it and when put under a load it lost all fuel pressure. So I had the fuel pump replaced and problems solved.

3. May 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    I had a similar problem and it turned out to be an ignitor.

4. May 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    rmtofast

rmtofast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    greencastle pa
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma ext cab on 33s
    3 inch body lift 2 inch suspension, 33 inch cooper discovery st maxx on classic locks ..sliders elocked bumper..
    Mass airflow sensor is dirty or bad, I just replaced everything on my truck for similar problems and even cleaned the maf sensor myself shop called and said maf was dirty they actually had to take a swab with cleaner to take the film off runs 100% now

5. May 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    rmtofast

rmtofast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    greencastle pa
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma ext cab on 33s
    3 inch body lift 2 inch suspension, 33 inch cooper discovery st maxx on classic locks ..sliders elocked bumper..
    I never thought in a million years that was my problem , when I reved it , all it would do is bogg down and almost act like a missfire, under full throttle it would fall on its face and have no power, it ran like total shit

6. May 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    It could be a number of things. What you mainly want to do is replace or identify issues with anything that has to do with the ignition of the fuel; MAF sensor, throttle body, cylinders (possible carbon build up although you said you've already done a seafoam cleanse), fuel pump, fuel filter (you say you've also replaced) etc. "Power loss" could mean anything really

Products Discussed in

To Top