1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

retrofit audio controls to steering wheel

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by calebdnehus, May 19, 2013.

1. May 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM
    calebdnehus

calebdnehus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '98 Prerunner V6--2004 Tacoma facelift
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    Has anyone ever thought about trying to retrofit some audio controls into the 1st gen Tacoma? I've been trying to see if anyone had made a post about this and I can't come across one. I think it would be interesting and might be possible with some models of aftermarket radios. Just trying to see what the experts on this kind of thing have to say

2. May 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    Two problems you are face with in this i can think of..

One a steering wheel that has the controls...

Two you will have to find a clock spring so your wires dont get messed up as you turn the wheel..

It can be done but might not be worth the price of it in the long run.. You might get lucky with a 4runner steering wheel and clock spring. Some where along the way you will be doing some machining i bet.

Just get a remote control for it and be happy..

3. May 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    Yeah, I figured it would be a challenge. I have a remote for my touch screen head unit that communicates with the radio via inferred beam. I was trying to think of a way to mount the remote so it could still communicate with the radio but I haven't been able to find it yet

4. May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top