1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

E Locker issue! Not engaging correctly.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by IDtrucks, May 19, 2013.

1. May 19, 2013 at 3:05 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    So I got my third re geared and into the new axle and the axle under the truck and everything together snug as a bug in a rug. Just as a side note I just drove 270 miles home after we got this done so the re gear and diff are dandy.

K so the issue. After the truck came off the lift I went to test it and no matter which position I had the locker switch in the tires would stay locked, now take note I wired and installed my own completely separate e locker circuit, but it seemingly worked fine when the third was out of the housing. The motor itself was working because every time I hit the button we could hear the actuator working.

So we pulled the truck back in and took out the motor and slid the locker slide gear with a screw driver to unlock it and we could spin the tires in open diff mode. We then put the locker motor back in with the locker gear slid a bit differently and when I hit the switch it would slide the locker to engage but it was like it would just barely catch because we could hear the diff ratcheting trying to engage but it couldn't, because our guess is the collar did not slide enough.

Also odd was that when I had the button depressed it disengaged the locker, and when the button was in the "off position" the locker tried to engage. Admittedly when I tested the wiring before installing I was not sure if being in or out was locked or unlocked, i just saw it move and assumed it was right. So with that, could there be a difference in how the motor works in "reverse" and "engage" mode? Like if the motor is being told to reverse when it should be locking is it spinning more or less than the locked command?

Tomorrow i am going to test my buddy's motor in my diff to see if the motor or the wiring is the issue. We have eliminated the gears inside the diff as the issue because we were able to slide them into locked and unlocked pretty easily with a screw driver, so if there was a binding issue that could not have happened.

Other info:

Wiring diagram

[​IMG]

Testing outside the third:

Out:
    [​IMG]

In:

[​IMG]

2. May 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    TonyTacoBC

TonyTacoBC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    Sounds to me like either you got the wiring wrong or you're not installing the actuator correctly. Double check both of those areas and make sure they're done correctly and you shouldn't have any more problems. Plus, NEVER apply full twelve volts current to the actuator motor without involving the limit switches in the circuit. The absence of the limit switches will cause the actuator to jam or potentially even stripping the plastic gears inside. I know this first-hand :).

3. May 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Interesting..

Seems this would be first think id try Mark. Might have to get a transformer.

How much is needed? 9v probably?

4. May 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    TonyTacoBC

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    When the actuator is in the vehicle and wired correctly then it is using twelve volts. When it's out of the vehicle and you want to test that it works without wiring in the limit switches then a D-size battery works fine.

5. May 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    oh i see what your saying..

intersting tho. Does it damage the motor at all?

6. May 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    TonyTacoBC

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    I don't think it'll damage the motor. Just the mechanical components of the actuator.

7. May 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    so how does one test it with a d battery?

8. May 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    TonyTacoBC

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    Take the two wires that power the motor and connect them to your battery. Switch polarity to run the motor in reverse. The motor will rotate very slowly because it's only 1.5 volts. The low voltage means nothing can be damaged.

9. May 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    It has never been tested without having it connected to the wiring diagram I posted above.

How did you power it? I ran a fuse tap to my 15a 4wd fuse in the cab and ran the power line off that.

10. May 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    TonyTacoBC

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    In the cab I wired it up to the harness that can be found under the carpet under the driver's side seat. I had the factory ecu module and button and they were both plug and play. The light in my gage cluster was already there. I used this wiring diagram.
    http://imgur.com/AZCdM1X

11. May 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    sweet thanks....
    i have a spare that i have never tested....

12. May 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Here is the install for the actuator. It might be of some help. Everything must be in the "lock" position for removal/install.

I use 2 D batteries in series for 3V, works fine and will overcome any "crusty" old grease. Step "G", page SA-198, is important (as is all the other stuff).

The first page picks up a tad before the actual actuator install part. Hope it helps.

DIFFLOCK1_zps99ed0daf_1e611964888397be916a03e027f2a1e287a119df.jpg

DIFFLOCK2_zps0931f2d4_d0dd0b46f8d902eb962e2f6c00b9902fe964c192.jpg

13. May 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    That's an awesome diagram! Saved for sure!

Got it figured out. Herp derp wiring issue. Had some wires on the relay mixed up. Works perfectly now!

14. May 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Great, a locker that locks (and unlocks) is a truly wonderful thing.

15. May 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    TonyTacoBC

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Reg cab 4cyl 4x4
    tires
    Booyah! Good to hear! Your truck has now reached a higher level of awesomeness!

16. May 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    haha ya, that was the kicker right there! It wouldn't unlock itself! Not good!

It is truly wonderful. I got the biggest sense of joy when I saw those back tires slipping and binding when we were testing it! Something that truck has never done! A locker truly is magical lol!
    :headbang: Dam right! Moab is gonna kick ass now!

17. May 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    xcmtb83

xcmtb83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    I am glad to see my relay diagram is getting around! :headbang: Of course thanks to D.F. too.

18. May 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    oh that was your diagram. Thanks a ton for making it! So glad I found it and it showed it was an easy solution to still use the factory switch. SO many props for it man!

19. May 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    xcmtb83

xcmtb83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Yeah, I posted that up over at YT. My next adventure will be wiring up an E-Locker into my 3rd gen 4Runner. This time I am going to try to duplicate the bulb flash when the locker is between states. My first thought was a cheap thermal flasher but I don't really want the annoying turn signal sound they generate. The next step would be an electric version at about $30. Kind of a lot of $ just to have a bulb flash but I have wasted more on even dumber things. :)

20. Apr 28, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    Mooseditty17

Mooseditty17 Seasoned Rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR : M+W Nexus Tuned
    Tune: Nexus +P Add ons: +3" custom suspension 295/70/18 Yokohama M/T Tires KMC XD Grenade OR wheels KN intake Blackhawk MBRP Exhaust TJM Rock Crawler Bumper Lighting (+10 H.P.)
    Have any of you guys messed with a 3rd gen locker at all? I so badly want a locker anytime mod for it. 1st gen was EASY AF. Ground the gray wire.... Today's trucks are WAY more complex, but you fellas seem rather savy with this sorta thing. Figured it's worth asking....

Products Discussed in

To Top