Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What Year is Your 1st Gen?

View Poll Results: What year is your 1st gen?
1995.5 34 6.90%
1996 37 7.51%
1997 20 4.06%
1998 38 7.71%
1999 45 9.13%
2000 39 7.91%
2001 77 15.62%
2002 67 13.59%
2003 77 15.62%
2004 84 17.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #41
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
That's what she said
Heeeeeyyyyyyyy-----00000000
Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #42
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah... so sleeper it's stock

No aftermarket bumper for me. Would love a plate bumper because they look badass and would destroy anything in its way, but it makes no sense for me... especially since it's a daily driver and I'm trying to keep weight down for fuel economy sake.
You could always make a tube bumper. Mine was $250 in materials and weighs under 50 lbs without the winch. I understand what your saying, though
Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #43
Matt Starr is on a distinguished road
Matt Starr's Tacoma Gallery
'03
x1,000,000
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #44
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yeah. 2003's represent! Should be able to vote twice because I've got a 96 in the driveway as well
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #45
Trusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant future

Name: Tony
Trusso24's Tacoma Gallery
99 ftw
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #46
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
Hell yeah. 2003's represent! Should be able to vote twice because I've got a 96 in the driveway as well
You can select multiple years
Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #47
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can select multiple years
Wish I had realized before I voted... :/
Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #48
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
x4
X5
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #50
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 97. I like the differences of the other trucks through the 1st generation, but hey, I got my 96 for a hell of a deal, and I wouldn't change a thing at this point. One thing I read that I wanted to mention, if you have a 1998 or newer, with the different style headlights, you cant just change out the grille and headlights to make it look like the 95-96, and 97 4x4. (the 97 2wd has the same style headlights and grille as the 98) The radiator core support is different as well, to allow for the different type of headlight. So you would also have to change it out as well. I don't remember the guy here on TW who did it, but he wanted to do this as well. He had a donor truck, or something similar, and changed out all of the parts. he had a REALLY good write up about it all.

Those who are not familiar with the 97 don't know that the 97 was the first "transition" year where if you had a 2wd the front end looks like the newer style with the composite headlights, but the 4wd models still retained the sealed beam headlights and grille of the 95-96 model.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #51
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I love my 97. I like the differences of the other trucks through the 1st generation, but hey, I got my 96 for a hell of a deal, and I wouldn't change a thing at this point. One thing I read that I wanted to mention, if you have a 1998 or newer, with the different style headlights, you cant just change out the grille and headlights to make it look like the 95-96, and 97 4x4. (the 97 2wd has the same style headlights and grille as the 98) The radiator core support is different as well, to allow for the different type of headlight. So you would also have to change it out as well. I don't remember the guy here on TW who did it, but he wanted to do this as well. He had a donor truck, or something similar, and changed out all of the parts. he had a REALLY good write up about it all.

Those who are not familiar with the 97 don't know that the 97 was the first "transition" year where if you had a 2wd the front end looks like the newer style with the composite headlights, but the 4wd models still retained the sealed beam headlights and grille of the 95-96 model.
STLHarry and Virginabound both did it.

STHarry put a 95-97 grille/etc on his 01-04 (somewhat intensive)

VB put a 95-97 grille/etc on his 98-00 and had to drill one hole in order to mount the driver headlight properly.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #52
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm curious how VB got everything to properly line up and all for the grille and headlights since there is such a big difference. I will have to go see if I can find his thread for that.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #53

Quote:
I'm curious how VB got everything to properly line up and all for the grille and headlights since there is such a big difference. I will have to go see if I can find his thread for that.
Here's the thread where he was first doing it.

Seems like his pics are missing though
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #54
ASE Master Tech

I just did some looking up on a few of the threads myself. Seems like a reverse switchover is pretty direct. The ones I had seen were those who wanted to take the older models (all 95-2wd 97) and put the newer style grille and lights. I can't find the specific thread, but there were some major hurdles the guy ran into. Perhaps retrofitting one way works easier than the other way? Not sure.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #55

Quote:
I just did some looking up on a few of the threads myself. Seems like a reverse switchover is pretty direct. The ones I had seen were those who wanted to take the older models (all 95-2wd 97) and put the newer style grille and lights. I can't find the specific thread, but there were some major hurdles the guy ran into. Perhaps retrofitting one way works easier than the other way? Not sure.
Yeah, you're probably thinking of STLHarry's swap.

Converting from/to 95-97 to/from 01-04 is a lot more intensive and requires more parts for the swap.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #56
Backwoods legit, don't take no shit!
BackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to all

Firefighter: Stokes Vol. Fire Department, Station 23
Name: Paul
BackwoodsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta 01 but come on guys all first gens are better than second gens
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #58
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone's posting a year....but no PICS!?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #59
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
2003. The best year for the 1st gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJYota View Post
x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
It is! They knew the 04 was the last year of that body style, so they didn't put as much effort and finesse into them.

Hence 03 was the best year model.
Bullshit. You poor fuckers all have ABS. 01 FTMFW.

Edit: and a pic
Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #60
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
Name: Jon
bpkrules's Tacoma Gallery
04 is best because its newer.