Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grille Swap: 80's Pickup/4runner to a 96 Tacoma?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Grille Swap: 80's Pickup/4runner to a 96 Tacoma?

Got a question for you guys- does anyone know if a grille off of an 80's Toyota Pickup/4runner would fit my 96 Taco, or would I be better off getting one custom made? I just like these old-school grilles far better than what my Taco currently has, and if I can do a grille swap, I definitely will.
This is the kind of grille in question: (On an 88 4runner, just a pic I pulled off the internet to use in this thread to show y'all which grille, since there were several out.)

Has anyone here tried to do this before? What did you have to do to make this work? Thanks for reading, and sorry if this thread is a repeat- I saw one for a newer Hilux (overseas) to Taco swap, and one with a late-model Hilux to a Taco around my year, but none like this.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
veg hed is on a distinguished road
Army: Red Leg
veg hed's Tacoma Gallery
I like the old school look of the 80's (and round headlights of the late 70's) but it might be harder than you think. The lights on the side of the 80s grills are more square and won't fit in the curved lights of a 96. If you leave you current lights in and just do the grill the lines of the old grill and new style lights might not line up. I guess your best bet would be to go to a junkyard and find a half decent 80's grill and try to fanangle it on somehow...If it looks good go for it. If not just put your current grill back on and hang the old school one in the garage for decor.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about- how it fits the lights, and also whether the general dimensions are the same. I never see them in junk yards, but I could probably find one online.
I like the looks of the first gen Tacos, but I'm really in love with the 80's Hiluxes.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing is that I think the grill would be more narrow.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
I know it works the other way around...I think they make a kit, obviously it's not stock. Our friend bought this one from All-Pro (it's the same red one on the banner on their website). I think it's off in like New Zealand or something now...

Old 06-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Nope it's a 4Runner with a Tacoma front clip.

I guess what happened was they were wheeling and some guys truck popped out of gear and knocked the 4runner off a hill which it then rolled down. So he got a whole new look for it.

I had a better picture of it somewhere but don't know where it went.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
No. I doubt it. Have owned both..still have access to both..not. Plus you have to swap hoods and fenders which would be weird.

But it is possible if you have time and really want to make it all fit. Not gonna bolt up tho.
Damn... does anyone know then if somebody makes a grille for a 1st gen that looks like a hilux grille but carries the same dimensions as a 1st gen? (if that makes any sense... couldn't think of how to phrase that.)
Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
Here's the picture I was looking for BTW

Looks kinda weird since the lines aren't the same , but that's just my opinion
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTHe FioLOxX View Post
Looks kinda weird since the lines aren't the same , but that's just my opinion
Yeah, I agree. It's kinda odd, but I sorta like it.