Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Tacoma reliability - better info (first gen)

Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
mkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to behold
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Tacoma reliability - better info (first gen)

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've had good participation by Tacoma owners, with over 500 signed up. But I just noticed that I've only been posting in the second-gen forum, so earlier years aren't as well represented. Hopefully we can fix this. (The survey goes back 15 model years, so currently 1998 and up.)

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Tacoma, for free. I'll share results for the Tacoma in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

http://www.truedelta.com/join
Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
mkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to behold
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
We have updated our reliability stats for the Tacoma based on owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2003: 16

2002: 34

2001: 58

Small and even all sample sizes in all cases. All are low (highly reliable).

We'll have further updates later this month and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

Toyota Tacoma reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
Sorry for any lack of popcorn-worthy entertainment in Taco reliability stats. These trucks don't seem to need fixing often.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
lets just say as compared to what? A chevy s-10 or a ford ranger????????
Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
We don't have any stats for the S-10. We have some stats for the Ranger based on small sample sizes--with more variation from year to year than I'd like to see probably for this reason:

2004: 66, moderate

2003: no repairs reported, 13 trucks

2002: 53, low

2001: 110, high

2000: 15, low

1999: 64, low

Again, both these numbers and those for the Tacoma aren't precise, because of the small sample sizes. But overall the Taco's numbers tend to be lower (which is better).
Old 05-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
TeleBlaster is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
TeleBlaster's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 2004 Taco v6 TRD w/ 151k miles. I'm experiencing my first problem. Someone on the forum suggested a problem with the wheel bearing.

I've checked the YouTube videos on the repair. Too ambitious for me. I'm going to take it in, next week.

But, man, 9 years and 151k miles before the first repair? Freakin' awesome!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
I certainly wouldn't be concerned about a wheel bearing at that mileage.