1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cab replacement compatability 2003 into 1995?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HOD, May 20, 2013.

1. May 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    HOD

HOD [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco
    Are the cabs from a 1995 and a 2003 bolt-in interchangeable? Just the sheet metal cab shell, not the front clip. Both are extra cab shells.

My truck, Paco the Taco, currently has an unwanted low rider style chopped top modificatiom due to a large tree. I've tried a high lift jack, a come -a-long, a porta-power, a forklift, and a sledge. But I don't think the pretzel'd A piller sheet metal is ever going to hold a windshield again. Even if it did, a gallon of silicone wouldn't make it water tight. I've found a 1995 cab. Both those years are 1st gens, but are they bolt in interchangeable?

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. May 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding your description, but the Cab is the ENTIRE front clip. You cannot separate the front of the truck from the cab. It is one whole unit.

3. May 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    HOD

HOD [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco
    Good point, sorry for using imprecise terminology. I'd like to replace the big, irreducible one piece cab (shell) sheet metal part.

But, the grill and associated front end pieces differ between the early and late first generation tacos. If I use a 1995 cab, will all of the peripheral 2003 parts bolt to it? Grill, bumper, radiator, front outer fenders, etc?

And, I guess I should ask if the interior bolts in also.

4. May 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I would so yes. A lot of parts swap anyway but I am not 100 percent. Bump

5. May 21, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Me and A friend of mine have actually looked at this because his Tacoma had been rolled and the cab was damaged. If you want to have an interesting truck, you could look at doing a full swap, and have the frame and body of a 2003, but the cab/front clip of a 1995! Not exactly a stellar combo though.

As for doing a swap over, there are enough differences between the cab units that you will be looking at some MAJOR work. The cab itself will bolt on, but the front core supports are different (That is the part that the radiator and headlights attach to, and it is spot welded. It CAN be changed, but will take a bit of skilled body work) and the interior of course is totally different. It will take some work, but the job can be done. Again, just a whole bunch of work will be needed. Lucky you for finding a cab anyway! My buddy's 95 needs a cab swap, and we can't locate one ANYWHERE. All the junk yards are refusing to sell the cabs due to the VIN plate is on the cab, and they are saying that without a clear title, they won't sell the cabs off the trucks. Sad because there would be a decent market I think for them.

6. May 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    HOD

HOD [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco
    That's disappointing to hear that the 03 and 95 would be so different. It hardly seems appealing to do that much work just to swap on a different (and older, at that) generation of front parts. At that point it might be preferable, and cheaper, to graft on a new roof.

I haven't heard of junk yards being unwilling to sell cabs. It would already be a legal problem for them to possess vehicles without legitimate titles or provenance. At that point, why not just pop off the VIN plate and sell an un-VIN'd cab?

7. May 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    When a salvage yard takes in a vehicle, it is required to take in the title and then submit that title to the state's DMV for branding. Once that is done a title cannot be reissued for said vehicle. Some states will not allow the base body to be sold after that, as the data plate is affixed to that body piece. This is not the case everywhere, just in certain states.

8. May 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    Stephen1231

Stephen1231 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Mobile Al
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5spd
    Engine freshly rebuilt due to blown head gasket, built my own CAI, EGR delete from LCEngineering, Billstein 5125's in the back with GM leafs, I can't stand paying for something that I can make in my garage so I built my own spacers for the front and tweaked them for 3" of lift.
    I just swapped my 95 cab for a 98 cab, I had no trouble except for the core support which Harbor Freight sales a spot weld remover drill bit ($4) which made it incredibly easy, my fenders bolted right up to the 98 cab and inner fender supports. As for switching the core supports I bolted the cab to the frame and then bolted the core support to the frame and used jacks and come-alongs to line up everything and welded it together with a mig welder. The interior was a bitch but everything had to be gutted and all my 95 parts bolted right in the 98 cab and even though very different styles it all swapped over without modifications.

9. May 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Where did you get the cab from? Never have any luck finding an extracab 1st gen in the 95-99 year range anywhere in Alabama.

10. May 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    Stephen1231

Stephen1231 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Mobile Al
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5spd
    Engine freshly rebuilt due to blown head gasket, built my own CAI, EGR delete from LCEngineering, Billstein 5125's in the back with GM leafs, I can't stand paying for something that I can make in my garage so I built my own spacers for the front and tweaked them for 3" of lift.
    A small you pull it yard in Mobile. There is also a salvage yard in Pensacola Fl. that always has tacoma cabs, they are a lil pricey but usually have really good stuff. I can find their name and number again if you want it.

11. May 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I'd love to give the number to my buddy who is looking for a possible cab.

Products Discussed in

To Top