1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer light issues, need some serious advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Rhino, May 21, 2013.

1. May 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    Rhino

Rhino [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    Ok so my truck came with the factory towing package which quit working last week, so i began to trace all the wires and check all the fuses, all were good, i even replaced the good ones with new ones hoping it would work, still nothing, this pissed me off so i went today and bought a new hopkins kit for my truck, plugged it up grounded it straight to the frame, and it still doesnt work, i have a tail light bar that goes under the tailgate and 3 LEDS on the driver side will light up, nothing else, when i plug a trailer into it nothing works, the trailer works on 3 different vehicles so i know it isnt the trailer Does anyone know what this could be? i'm about ready to burn my truck down

2. May 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    Bully93

Bully93 Member

Member:
    South MS.
    Vehicle:
    02 Doublecab TRD 4x4
    My trailer lights wouldnt work either on my 02 doublecab, (factory towing package). There is a junction box(?) on the back cab wall behind the carpet that has some fuses in it. Mine were blown. that was it. Dont know if you've checked this or not but hope it might help you out. Someone showed me it was there i didnt have a clue.

3. May 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    Rhino

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    yeah i checked those fuses, and today i bought a test light, hooked the ground on it up to the ground on the plug, and i have power to all 3 wires on the factory plug and hopkins plug

4. May 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Think it may have something to do with the LED tail light bar since it isn't working right? I'd try disconnecting it and then try the trailer harness again.

5. May 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    TejasYOTA

TejasYOTA Countinuous improvement

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Country of TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    "WOOKIE" 01 Tacoma DC TRD Limited 4WD
    Check the TTORA Garage Section....
    Check the relay... I had an aftermarket version and in the end... I had to get a new relay.

6. May 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    What is this "trailer light bar" under the tailgate? Post some pics. It is kind of hard to understand your description of your system. Give us a desciption of your system starting from the battery and working back.

Are any of the fuses you checked outside of the cab? I once had some aux reverse lights go out, and the inline fuse inside the tailight housing of the bed was fine, but the blades on the fuse had a little corrosion, I sanded that off, and gooped them with die-electric grease, and it was fine. Of course, I did not have power downstream of that fuse, so it was pretty easy to islolate.

7. May 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    He's talking about one of the LED bars that's between the tailgate and the bumper that alot of the Chevy guys run. When they hit the brakes the LED bar lights up kinda like a 4th brake light.

8. May 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    I don't have the factory tow system...
    and not even sure how that ties into the vehicles e-system.
    So my sharing may be moot.

I think my aftermarket brake light controller is made by Valley Ind.
    So I have no idea if it is comparative to the factory tow e-package
    hook up.

But thought I'd comment on what could be of generic issue.

---------------

I once has some issue with the plug that connected into the tail light plug.
    and the trailer and vehicle tail lights were either dead of acting fubar.

Would seem that that some of the connector plug's pins were not making good contact...
    If I remember correctly, the connections were either intermittent or simply non-functional.

Pulled those apart and checked every pin to be sure they were seated in the plug they reside in.
    Found some slight corrosion at the pins and some dirt in the plug.
    Cleaned up... put some die-electric grease on the pins...
    and haven't had any issue since.

It's possible you have catastrophic failure of the controller...
    as maybe that has become fubar'd because of a short or something.

I'd double check any plug/pin connection
    and be sure those have a proper/clean connection.

9. May 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    Rhino

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    ok so it turned out my led bar was just burnt up (i took it apart today), while at work today a customer brought in a trailer for us to re wire, i decided to seize the opportunity and convince my boss to let me plug it in to my truck when we finished, the trailer worked fine on both the factory plug and the hopkins plug, so i'll just take the hopkins one back to auto zone, i have no idea why it wouldnt work with our trailer at home, my dad must have redneckified it when he wired it so it would work on any vehicle but mine, needless to say, the problem seems to be fixed, thanks for your input folks i really appreciate it

10. May 23, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    CBR1000RR

CBR1000RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD DoubleCab
    Toytec ultimate lift kit
    Try checking grounds....if fuses are good then start with grounds and relays. If that doesn't work it's probably something with the trailer...

Products Discussed in

To Top