Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best Radiator Fluid???

Old 05-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Best Radiator Fluid???

I've heard lots of people say that its best to use the "red" coolant that you would buy from the dealership. From my experience I would say not to. But that's only my opinion. Here's why...

I was changing the T-belt the other day and realized my water pump was corroded with what looked like a red substance that dyed the metal around the pulley ASWELL. First thought was did the red engine coolant eat through the metal of the water pump? After doing some research and talking to a couple mechanics, they confirmed what I was thinking. Basically what I was told is that after long use of that red Toyota coolant it corrodes metals other than the engine block. The block is strong enough to withstand the red coolant. But with the metal that is on the OEM water pump isn't. Eventually it will start to corrode and cause problems unless caught early. Mind you this is the first time I've changed the water pump and its a 2001. So about 12-13 years of using the Red coolant from Toyota will start to corrode some metals that it comes in contact with. I also heard the "pink" coolant that's out there will do the same.

All the is from my own experience and research. It's only my .02

If anyone else has had this problem with the use of Red coolant let us know.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I saw no such corrosion in my 2003 when I pulled the pump. Sounds like your water pump was leaking a little bit. Not necessarily from the coolant.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
completely false, no toyota coolant corrodes any part of a toyota cooling system
any more than any other coolant. if you get a drop of oil in the system seals
will be affected (such as blown gaskets and oil gets in there, or ATF)

corrosion happens over time due to a combination of electro-chemical processes
(pitting, leaching, galvanic corrosion...all about electrical potential between metals)
and motion of the coolant, or lack thereof, and becomes greater at lower velocities
(you let it sit still for a month it will corrode more than if left running)

acids and oils will always get into the cooling system,
that is why coolant needs to be changed on a regular basis

change and flush the coolant at recommended intervals, and use what toyota specifies
and if that is not available, then use 'prestone 50-50 all vehicle all types'.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
I've heard lots of people say that its best to use the "red" coolant that you would buy from the dealership. From my experience I would say not to. But that's only my opinion. Here's why...

I was changing the T-belt the other day and realized my water pump was corroded with what looked like a red substance that dyed the metal around the pulley ASWELL. First thought was did the red engine coolant eat through the metal of the water pump? After doing some research and talking to a couple mechanics, they confirmed what I was thinking. Basically what I was told is that after long use of that red Toyota coolant it corrodes metals other than the engine block.
^ I'd find new mechanic's

The water pump on 1st gen commonly leak...
starts with a small seep... crusts up...
but will eventually blow.

Has nothing to do with the coolant.
It's the cheap paper gasket that was used.

Newly designed water pump gaskets are metal I think.
Suppose to last longer.

Some folk just rtv the pump... call it good.

I've been using the factory coolant since my junk was new...
water pump leaked at around 90K. (was replaced)

My current water pump is still holding it's seal after 140K

-------------------------

btw... the only difference between pink and red is...

Red is concentrate (requiring dilution)

Pink is a pre-mix
Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Tonysarus is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
Tonysarus's Tacoma Gallery
how about propylene gylcol

can anyone confirm if propylene glycol can be used undilluted for better heat exchange protection. this is the "Pet safe" green stuff. I saw a thread years ago that recommended it undiluted. but even if its so, is it ok for Toyotas?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I would say if you got 12-13 years on your original water pump than you did well. However I would definately get a new mechanic. Here is what Toyota has said about their own Red coolant that I posted in another thread.

"Toyota recommends Genuine Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant (factory red fluid) as the first choice when maintaining your vehicle. Toyota coolant was developed to meet the specific requirements of our engines and provides maximum protection without the use of harmful silicates. Silicates, a main ingredient in the vast majority of antifreeze coolants, can actually damage the water pump seal, causing leakage. Our coolant is a high-performance, non-silicate coolant that provides better protection for metals without deterioration of the water pump seal."
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
The old green coolants had silicates (abrasives) added to help keep the iron block, heads and water pump free of rust. This is not good for softer aluminum like the tacoma's water pump.

I think the Toyota engineers were skilled enough to figure out what coolant will work, and that's what I would use. Other coolant might work ok, but who knows. It doesn't seem like it's worth trying to save $10 on coolant to trust the word of the auto parts store clerk.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I used "Zerex Asian Vehicle" stuff from O'reilly... I don't remember why but I did research it at the time and it was correct for me
Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post

I was changing the T-belt the other day and realized my water pump was corroded with what looked like a red substance that dyed the metal around the pulley ASWELL. First thought was did the red engine coolant eat through the metal of the water pump? After doing some research and talking to a couple mechanics, they confirmed what I was thinking. Basically what I was told is that after long use of that red Toyota coolant it corrodes metals other than the engine block. The block is strong enough to withstand the red coolant. But with the metal that is on the OEM water pump isn't. Eventually it will start to corrode and cause problems unless caught early. Mind you this is the first time I've changed the water pump and its a 2001. So about 12-13 years of using the Red coolant from Toyota will start to corrode some metals that it comes in contact with. I also heard the "pink" coolant that's out there will do the same.

All the is from my own experience and research. It's only my .02

If anyone else has had this problem with the use of Red coolant let us know.

Thanks!
Your mechanics a full of chit. Any coolant can cause issues if its not changed every once in a while. I go no more than 60K on my changes and I use red. The other day I changed out my factory thermostat since I hit 150K. Absolutely no corrosion or residue in the radiator or housing.

If you use anything else other than what the manufacture recommends your going to have issues down the road.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysarus View Post
can anyone confirm if propylene glycol can be used undilluted for better heat exchange protection. this is the "Pet safe" green stuff. I saw a thread years ago that recommended it undiluted. but even if its so, is it ok for Toyotas?
Get the red and be done. Actually pure water is a better heat transfer but you need the lubercating properties to keep corrosion and other harmful particals away. Once winter time comes you'll be screwed if you don't have coolant.