Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buying a 1st gen, good price? 80kmi on a 2000 TRD

Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
MrDunev is on a distinguished road
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a 1st gen, good price? 80kmi on a 2000 TRD

It looks SUPER clean from the pictures, and is about 300miles away.

It is a 2000, with 80-85k miles. TRD Xtracab

The guy who is selling it seems extremely genuine, not like a car salesman. He showed me the carfax, it had 1-owner apart from him (dealer). It had a minor accident he said in 2008, where they front right fender was replaced, and the front headlight was too. He told me it looks like it was purely cosmetic and that there isn't any frame damage.

Is $10,500 a good price for it? Not sure how accurate KBB is. I have to fly out and drive it back. I am 95% sure I am going to pull the trigger, but I just wanted to hear feedback from the experts first.

Thanks, let me know quickly. I am heading to my credit union later to get a small loan.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
What's the kbb say on what it is worth, always try to haggle a little. I mean you are flying there for it
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Probably about close..not a smoking deal or anything.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
KBB says 13.8k from a dealer. in Excellent condition

and 11.4k for VERY GOOD condition from a private party (he is a dealer)

http://www.kbb.com/toyota/tacoma-xtr...icetype=retail
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Talk slow, shoot fast.
DirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
DirtyDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
85k miles on a 1st gen?! Get it!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure the frame isn't rusted from the inside out? The frame could look ok but hit it with a hammer and it could crumble like peanut brittle. Was this truck purchased new in Cali?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
It's a 4x2 not looking for 4x4.

It's an Arizona car
Old 05-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
And I just found another 2000 TRD with 49k mi for 13.5k
Old 05-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDunev View Post
And I just found another 2000 TRD with 49k mi for 13.5k
That's even better. 4x4? Only reason I ask is because I made a mistake on a 2wd before. But all depend what you do with it
Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytacoma1 View Post
That's even better. 4x4? Only reason I ask is because I made a mistake on a 2wd before. But all depend what you do with it
Only thing is it doesn't look to be in as good condition IMHO, fortunately the car dealership with the 49k one is next to my credit union.

So I'll stop by there on the way, and see if I like it. It's a 4x2 as well. I'm not an offroad guy. I mostly plan on using it to tow motorcycles, and to take my kayak to the ocean. Maybe the occasional camping trip, but nothing serious.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
I decided to pull the trigger on the one with 49k. Black. Very sexy, a couple small dents but i don't care.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Talk slow, shoot fast.
DirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm jealous dude. My 2000 has 229k. You wouldn't know it until you looked at the odo though. Keep it well maintained and it'll run forever. If you have the locker, air down and you'll be surprised how much that 4x2 will do. Definitely seems to be suited perfectly for your needs. Congrats man! Now as they told me, "Mod the bish!" Haha
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Talk slow, shoot fast.

Oh and post pics haha
Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDTaco View Post
I'm jealous dude. My 2000 has 229k. You wouldn't know it until you looked at the odo though. Keep it well maintained and it'll run forever. If you have the locker, air down and you'll be surprised how much that 4x2 will do. Definitely seems to be suited perfectly for your needs. Congrats man! Now as they told me, "Mod the bish!" Haha

Sorry for my ignorance, but whats the locker? I am pretty new to tacoma's obviously
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
Talk slow, shoot fast.

It locks the differential in the back.. With an open differential the back wheels can turn at different speeds. It helps turning on roads and stuff, because in a sharp turn obviously the outside wheel is gonna have to turn faster to keep up than the inside wheel. It keeps the tores from wearing out as quickly on the road. However, offroad, just one wheel spinning isn't what you want lol. If you're climbing rocks with sometimes a tire or two off the ground or in mud, you want both tires spinning. With an open diff, the tire with traction won't spin and the one without traction will just sit there spinning. With the locker, the power is distributed evenly to both the wheels so they're both pushing. My truck is the base 4x4 without the locker and sometimes it will rooster tail in mud on just one side, or in really wet grass it will spin on just one side. Having the locker just really helps with traction a lot. You'll love it. Hope that helps.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I decided to pull the trigger on the one with 49k. Black. Very sexy, a couple small dents but i don't care.
Congrats and post some pics of it!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDTaco View Post
Yes it has the RR diff lock button, but what do you mean by "air down" sorry again for my ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytacoma1 View Post
Congrats and post some pics of it!
There are a couple conditions before I buy it. So we'll see. There is a vibration at exactly 65mph, but when you slow down or speed up it disappears. And the air-conditioning is cold, but again has a small vibration when on full blast, and the guy says there is a piece of paper stuck inside

And I ended up knowing one of the guys at the dealership through mutual friends, which was pretty cool.

Trust me as soon as I bring it home I will take lot's of pictures.

I got the price down to about 13k as well. So I'm pretty happy.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
Talk slow, shoot fast.

Quote:
Yes it has the RR diff lock button, but what do you mean by "air down" sorry again for my ignorance.
No problem man! Feel free to ask questions. Nobody on this site knew everything when they started, you gotta start somewhere! By airing down, I meant let some air out of your tires. It helps get a wider footprint and get better traction. Also some all terrain and most mud terrain tires have tread on the sidewall so that will come into play too when you're aired down.