Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Check Engine Light

Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
hodgey is on a distinguished road
hodgey's Tacoma Gallery
Check Engine Light

So my cel came on about a month ago. The charcoal canister was replaced. A day went by and it came back on. I have been researching the codes it is throwing. PO 441, 442,446. I am confused where to go from here. Vsv??? some input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
polack is on a distinguished road
polack's Tacoma Gallery
I posted about this same topic here. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...coming-up.html

Maybe it will help you narrow down your problem.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
The tough thing about those codes is that there are *I THINK* 3 maybe 4 vacuum switch valves throughout the vacuum system. They all look really similar. There's one right next to the canister, should have a blue sticker on it if it's original, and then there's another under the intake manifold. For me, replacing the one under the intake mani took care of the 0441 code. You can pull the VSVs off and usually if they're still good you can actuate the valve with air pressure from your mouth. If you need to replace one, just find the right part and do it yourself, they just plug and play.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem last Fall. If you test each VS valve with a multimeter for continuity, it will point to the defective one. In my 04, there are 2 under the hood by the battery and one underneath by the charcoal canister, which is a bitch to get to. Mine, of course, was that one. The valve was stuck on it.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
hodgey is on a distinguished road
hodgey's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replies. I am gonna check out the vsvs with my meter.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
JMayotte is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
JMayotte's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to JMayotte
Quote:
Originally Posted by polack View Post
I posted about this same topic here. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...coming-up.html

Maybe it will help you narrow down your problem.
Checked out your post, good info. My light came on while doing some very dusty off roading recently. Have yet to inspect since reading. But my thought is, those of us that live in states with emissions inspections regulations, find a good smog shop and see if they'll hook you up and do some diagnosing. I work on smog machines here in soCal and therefore plan on doing so. They have a smoke tester (evap tester) for older cars and can do a smoke test for much less than a dealer. And typically they have OBD-II scanners extremely handy. Also, they can check your gas cap to see how well it holds pressure..or not.

Hope this helps a little, I'll repost about my findings.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
professional trousersnake charmer
RJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
RJ MacReady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMayotte View Post
Checked out your post, good info. My light came on while doing some very dusty off roading recently. Have yet to inspect since reading. But my thought is, those of us that live in states with emissions inspections regulations, find a good smog shop and see if they'll hook you up and do some diagnosing. I work on smog machines here in soCal and therefore plan on doing so. They have a smoke tester (evap tester) for older cars and can do a smoke test for much less than a dealer. And typically they have OBD-II scanners extremely handy. Also, they can check your gas cap to see how well it holds pressure..or not.

Hope this helps a little, I'll repost about my findings.
thanks for the info. we all can use more smog techs here in SoCal
Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
JMayotte is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
JMayotte's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to JMayotte
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ MacReady View Post
thanks for the info. we all can use more smog techs here in SoCal
Not quite a smog tech. Just service their machines. Need no mechanical/automotive experience for that :-)