Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

transmisson cooler trd?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
4421.frank is on a distinguished road
4421.frank's Tacoma Gallery
transmisson cooler trd?

What would be the pro's of having the auto trans cooler installed on my supercharged 02 taco?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It will keep your tranny cooler, thus prolonging its lifespan.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
yep........what 4x4 said....................but honestly, you can go get a b&m tranny cooler from autozone for alot cheaper than the trd one.......and they are relatively the same. they wanted $300 something for the trd one at the dealership.......and i can get a b&m one for around $50 at autozone or oreilly's. just a heads up.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, as you are supercharged, you might want to look into the Level Ten valve body upgrade.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Level Ten valve body upgrade.

Level Ten valve body upgrade., whats that?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4421.frank View Post
Level Ten valve body upgrade., whats that?
heavier duty valve body for you transmission that the stock valve body.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Level Ten valve body upgrade.

what does that do performance wise?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #8

here ya go..................check this out......

http://www.levelten.com/hydrosystem_import.htm
Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
NewEnglander
krlang is on a distinguished road

krlang's Tacoma Gallery
I was told by a guy from a tranny shop to get a cooler and bypass the cooler in the Radiator. Apparently, the original cooler can rot out and put coolant in the transmission, you wouldnt see it until it is too late. He said it was common in Toyota's.
I bought my cooler on Amazon for $50, the same one in the TRD kit without the $250 worth of brackets, and ran hard lines through the radiator support.

I did a fluid change about 3 weeks ago, 30k and everything looked good.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by krlang View Post
and ran hard lines through the radiator support.
hardlines...excellent idea. I've wanted to put a cooler on mine for a while but was always a tad worried about the hoses.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlang View Post
I was told by a guy from a tranny shop to get a cooler and bypass the cooler in the Radiator. Apparently, the original cooler can rot out and put coolant in the transmission, you wouldnt see it until it is too late. He said it was common in Toyota's.
I have NEVER heard of that happening on a Toyota. The chances of the cooler lines rotting out in the raiator are very slim.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
In New England they use so much salt on the roads I'd worry about the radiator rotting away from the OUTSIDE first!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
In New England they use so much salt on the roads I'd worry about the radiator rotting away from the OUTSIDE first!
x2. And considering most modern radiators are plastic, and the aluminum parts are coated with a protectant, it takes a while.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have NEVER heard of that happening on a Toyota. The chances of the cooler lines rotting out in the raiator are very slim.
Wow, never. A more common problem with the radiators in the 4Runners with the 5VZ engine also been reported in the Tacoma's. There are multiple instances of strawberry milkshakes with these radiators. Personally I am going to do it just to save the potential headache of it happening.

Example 1.

Example 2.

Example 3.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #15

Wow! Interesting. I have heard of it now.