Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A340F Trans, transfer case questions.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Stuck CAPS is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
Stuck CAPS's Tacoma Gallery
A340F Trans, transfer case questions.

I have an '04 4Runner, and I'm planning a 4WD IFS conversion. I have an A340E at the moment, and plan on converting it to an A340F through the change of output shaft and oil pan. I know that first gen Tacomas have a manual T-case, but I'm wondering this. Is it full time or part time 4WD? Is it just a hi-lo rail, or both 2-4 and hi-lo, and if full-time 4WD, nothing connected to the 2-4 rail? Would there be any other option for a twin-stick T-case that would fit the A340F?

Thanks,
Alex.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Tacoma 4WD, with manual hubs (not ADD). Its part-time 4WD.
The TC lever works just like my old 84 4Runner. From 2wd, it moves rear-ward to 4wd. Then over to the rite a bit, and up to 'neutral', then further up to low-range.

Does this answer your question?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Stuck CAPS is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
Stuck CAPS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
I have a Tacoma 4WD, with manual hubs (not ADD). Its part-time 4WD.
The TC lever works just like my old 84 4Runner. From 2wd, it moves rear-ward to 4wd. Then over to the rite a bit, and up to 'neutral', then further up to low-range.

Does this answer your question?
That does, indeed! Now I'll just need to pick one up and see if I can make a twinstick out of it. Would I be able to use it with ADD, however? Thanks for the quick response!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if a twin-stick would work with ADD or not. You'll have to find that out from the vendor. Why would you get a potentially troublesome ADD system anyway? Lots of guys with ADD go to a lot of expense and work to convert to manual hubs.

I have no experience with ADD, but know that the CV's and differentials are different (not interchangeable) for ADD vs manual hub trucks. Not certain if the TC is different, but I suspect it is, since the front driveshaft is always rotating, even in 2WD.

I installed a twin-stick into my old 4Runner and would NOT do it again. It did not work, out of the box. The vendor neglected to include a necessary spacer, which was sent to me when I complained about it. Also, it did not include a 2-hole boot that worked for my TC, so it was noisy. Only advantage was to be able to go into low-range without going into 4WD. Handy, but rarely used it.