1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my frame bent? Warning Graphic Images

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by xcmtb83, May 24, 2013.

1. May 25, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Without pictures of the frame it is impossible to tell if it is bent. I wouldn't make any decisions on the truck til you know for sure. The cab doesn't look that bad, but check the mounts and with all the rusty frame buybacks you could probably find a replacement box.

2. May 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I would be surprised if there isn't at least some frame damage. But if you just want to make a wheeler out of it who cares if the frame is slightly tweaked? As long as it goes reasonably straight down the road it would be fine for that use. Bummer it was a V6 reg cab too. I had one of those pre-kid and loved it.

3. May 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    Take it to a frame shop or a shop that does frame work. A frame can be bent whether you can visually see it or not. You can get frame alignment specs just like you would with a front end aligment. I got rear ended at a stop sign in My 06 Tacoma which had a 3 inch lift and a 2" aal in the back with 33's (pretty tall rear end for a car to go under). To make a long story short a guy wasn't paying attention and ran his chevy lumina up under the rear end of my truck. You could visually tell the axle was out of alignment but everything else looked good. I was able to drive my truck home and although it really wasn't a signifigant impact the frame was pretty twisted. Good Luck-Jared.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  4. May 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    NSDON

NSDON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    NS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD 4X4 Step Side
    How much to buy it? Post that- if its low enough, buy it, if you can part it out for enough to cover the cost. Once you have it, you can check out what it needs to fix it, then fix it o scrap it.

An insurance job would be $5-10,000 to fix that? I'd say it would cost $3-5,000 to fix it plus paint if you did the work yourself. Box, front fender, rear end, driveshaft, exhaust, etc.

Or find another one.

Don

5. May 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM
    Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma sr5
    Man I feel your pain. A guy hit me at 45 plus miles an hour and I was at a full stop at a light. Mine was not quite as bad but it was a small blazer is the vehicle that hit me I have a 2002 tacoma xtra cab and most of the energy got absorbed on the drivers side. When I showed pics of the damage to people it didn't look that bad but the bumper was even with the tail gate and the side buckled to the point it stuck out past the side mirror. It had 2mm of frame damage which the body shop popped back into place. They fixed all the damage which came out to 10k. My understanding on frame damage is measured in millimeters. If it gets up to 7mm and up that's considered major damage. Hope that helps but without taking it in to a body shop it's hard to tell. My bed bolts were halfway ripped out also.

6. May 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    An easy way to tell if it's bent that I was taught by a crusty old mechanic is look at the rust. I'm assuming your frame at least some surface rust on it. The rust will look flaky in areas where the metal was in tension. From the pictures, I'd look right under where the tree hit your bed. That impact would've caused a folding motion around the tree, putting the bottom of the frame in tension. Any slight bend here would've fractured the rust and you'd be able to tell pretty quickly if it's tweaked.

Again, though, pics of the frame would help

7. May 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Pull the bed (whats left of it) and snap some pics.

I dont think its bent...

You probably wont be able to restore it to its original beauty without spending LOTS of money....but you can flat bed or tube bed it and make it into a badass trail rig.

8. May 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    Dilly04Taco

Dilly04Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Blue Ridge sc
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner ext cab
    Leveling kit Rims tires
    Ahh alittle wax and buff and it'll be good as new!

9. May 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    xcmtb83

xcmtb83 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    The current insurance offer is $5,750 and I get to keep the truck. I told him I would take no less than $6,000 so he is looking some more things over. They claim the truck has a $2,275 salvage value, in other words that is what it would be worth to a collision repair facility or a yard that parts vehicles out. The $2,275 seems kind of inflated to mitigate their costs if you ask me but I have been wrong before. Thoughts?

Also, thanks to all that have chimed in with their $0.02.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  10. Jun 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    xcmtb83

xcmtb83 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Update - On Friday I went to look at my truck to get a better idea what I am up against for frame damage. I took more pictures to show you all which will hopefully help with your opinions.

Findings:
    I was happy to see that it is only the bed/frame mounting tabs that are bent. This is why the tailgate is at such an angle (top of gate towards cab).

The brackets that bolt the bumper to the frame started to buckle as you can see in the pics. The arc from bending appears to all be on the bracket and not the frame.

You can see the bottom of the shackle swung forward pretty violently in its arc and is now stuck there because the leaf spring is so bent. The leaf spring actually dented the frame a small bit as it swung up into it.

I like to think the receiver hitch may have added some strength to the rear of the frame.

Thoughts are always welcome!

[​IMG]
    Untitled by xcmtb83, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jun 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    somethinboutayota

somethinboutayota Dorthy left Kansas for a reason

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Dodge City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Go to get alignment- replace whole front end
    Debadged and painted, plasti-dip bumper , Sock monkey decals, tool box, K&N cold air intake, flag holder/fishing pole holder, Satoshi, magnaflow 40 series, spidertrax wheel spacers, map lights, led reverse lights, led dash assembly lights, roof top LED bar
    Frame looks pretty good except for that rust!:eek:

12. Jun 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    wouldn't touch it.

if it's not bent (probably is), it'll fail the hammer test because of that rust.

13. Jun 3, 2013 at 4:08 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

X2, I would not take a chance on it, looks like the rusting process is in full force and it won't take long for it to start falling apart....

Products Discussed in

To Top