Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What direction with new suspension

Old 05-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
What direction with new suspension

I'm still rolling around on stock suspension with well over 100k miles. I've been holding out on spending too much on the truck with thoughts of moving to a 2nd gen, but I'm thinking I might keep it and make it a good expedition type vehicle that sees mostly DD'ing with the occasional trip through some off road terrain.

I'd like a suspension that'll ride nice and smooth on the road, but also work well off road when the time comes. Not really looking for a big lift. I assume my truck is sitting lower then stock with the older suspension, so I'd like to get something that'd at max give 2" of lift. Just bought new 31's and don't really want to go bigger, plus I like my mpg's. Would like a kit that is going to last a good bit of time without tons of maintenance.

Truck is a 98, access, 4x4, manual hubs with the 2.7.

With that whole essay said, would something like an OME with 880s or 881s be best? What about a King coil over? I know the King is a much better system, but thinking it would it be overkill for my application?

For the back I'm thinking an AAL would be best, unless someone can point me towards a leaf pack that doesn't lift the rear some ridiculous amount.

Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
For what you want the OME kit sounds good... I would get a new leaf pack or make your own OMD leafs. The aal won't help to much with 100k+ mile leaf pack...
Old 05-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My worries with the OME kit is that it'll lift the truck to high

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...s-ome-kit.html

The thread above the guy has 31's and it appears his truck sits pretty high. He got 883s though I believe. Would 881s not sit as high?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a picture of my 97 with the ome 883s.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
No 881s are perfect for the wheelers 5 pack. Look up MTgirls truck or Socars truck. They have it and 31s look perfect. Only about 1" lift.
No way really? I thought on Toytec's website it said 2-2.5" of lift for the 881s

And I also thought the wheelers 5 pack and Dakars give the same height, no?

Fack Monte... you're mindfuhking me with all of this... thought I had it dialed in with the full OME suspension (881s)
Old 05-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdj1 View Post
Here is a picture of my 97 with the ome 883s.
What size tires?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
No way really? I thought on Toytec's website it said 2-2.5" of lift for the 881s

And I also thought the wheelers 5 pack and Dakars give the same height, no?

Fack Monte... you're mindfuhking me with all of this... thought I had it dialed in with the full OME suspension (881s)
Think they start at like 2.5 settle down a bit to I guess 1.75-2..but the rear is 1"ish. But since you have to lift the front more then the rear to make it sit level that's what I was referring to to keep it simple...haha

881s and 5packs are damn near perfect for each other.

Dakars are supposed to give 2-2.5" rear lift. The Alcan 5 packs only give about 1.5"
Old 05-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Think they start at like 2.5 settle down a bit to I guess 1.75-2..but the rear is 1"ish. But since you have to lift the front more then the rear to make it sit level that's what I was referring to to keep it simple...haha

881s and 5packs are damn near perfect for each other.

Dakars are supposed to give 2-2.5" rear lift. The Alcan 5 packs only give about 1.5"
Why would OME design a lift that would give that much rake? and not sit level.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
What size tires?
255/85/16 and I put the AAL in the rear. Gonna wait to see how much it settles after o get my elite bumper and sliders on to see if I need blocks in the rear
Old 05-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Factory has rake man
That much?

I thought it was like 1/2" or so
Old 05-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #17

Quote:
OP white truck is on 881s and 5 pack alcans from wheelers. 31x10.5r15s

That looks pretty good. Really like those fenders too. Might have to look into a set b/c my truck has none, and the GY Authorities tend to grab rocks