Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do I remove these ghost images after de-badging?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
koerner6173 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Crew Chief, HMH-466
Name: Cameron
koerner6173's Tacoma Gallery
How do I remove these ghost images after de-badging?

I de-badged a couple weeks ago using the fishing line and Goo Gone technique, Everything turned out fine except the fact that now there the faded area underneath where the letters were. I cleaned it off real good with acetone and goo gone to make sure everything was gone, and then i waxed over it. But the image is still there. It's been a few weeks, I don't think its just gonna fade away with the sun anytime in the next year, at least. And it really bothers me to look at it. Has anybody dealt with this before, should i wetsand?
Attached Thumbnails
How do I remove these ghost images after de-badging?-debadge.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Try a light polish then wax . Looks like fade though
Old 05-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
jrdriver8 is on a distinguished road
jrdriver8's Tacoma Gallery
Use some light rubbing compound, then use polish. Rub it into the paint in one direction until it's dry and then keep applying. This should remove it. I doubt it is faded much at all. The paint underneath has been sealed from the weather and sun. Follow with some spray wax like Turtle Was Express Shine. You may always see some of it, but over time the repeated polishing will work.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2006Yota View Post
Surprised some teen hipster out there hasnt called this a debadged ghost mod and done it on purpose
Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah some rubbing compound will do the trick, it worked on mine
Old 05-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at a thread I made-- should answer your question.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...ur-badges.html

If you don't have the orbital sander, just use a little elbow grease
Old 05-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
The paint under the badge is original...

The surrounding paint of the tail gate is oxidized or faded.

buff out the whole tailgate surface to attempt a blend.
Bringing the luster back to the faded old paint...
will help in disguising the fresh paint under the badges.

I was able to buff mine to blend that more closely.
But darker paints will make that more difficult to net perfection.

so... park it in the sun... and let nature catch up
Old 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I have a very similar color and debadged after 12 years. Had ghost writing on the "SR5" badges.

After a wash, clay bar, polish and wax it was 99% gone. Only my OCD eye would see it from close up.

After a couple of years of Colorado's UV treatment, it's totally gone now