Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stock wheel refinishing??

Old 02-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
sbvaughn88 is on a distinguished road
sbvaughn88's Tacoma Gallery
Stock wheel refinishing??

Have a question and wondering if anybody knows... I have fixed my minor engine troubles and am moving on to refinishing my wheels because they look like crap. I restore antique furniture and refinish furniture for a living so I have access to top of the line spray equipment. My question is that the 02 silver paint on my wheels seems to be chipping off or has worn away in places and I bought some duplicolor silver wheel coating...upon spraying it on the pigment content was not nearly high enough to cover these blemishes. Should I try some custom paint out of the spray gun and then clearcoat over it and if so what kind and where do you get the right color? Stock color is okay for me I just am not familiar enough with the products and have never done it before. Any suggestions?? I have read on the other posts that people are having great results with rattle cans but mostly these guys are going black. Has anyone had really good results going stock- if so what products did you use?? Thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbvaughn88 View Post
Have a question and wondering if anybody knows... I have fixed my minor engine troubles and am moving on to refinishing my wheels because they look like crap. I restore antique furniture and refinish furniture for a living so I have access to top of the line spray equipment. My question is that the 02 silver paint on my wheels seems to be chipping off or has worn away in places and I bought some duplicolor silver wheel coating...upon spraying it on the pigment content was not nearly high enough to cover these blemishes. Should I try some custom paint out of the spray gun and then clearcoat over it and if so what kind and where do you get the right color? Stock color is okay for me I just am not familiar enough with the products and have never done it before. Any suggestions?? I have read on the other posts that people are having great results with rattle cans but mostly these guys are going black. Has anyone had really good results going stock- if so what products did you use?? Thanks
I repainted a set of stock steelies on a previous Tacoma, painted them a dark metallic gray. Did some pretty good sanding on them first, plus put on a primer coat, then the color, then a couple of clear coats. They turned out great. I think if you want them to look good and last it just takes some prep work. I did it using Duplicolor wheel paint from Peb Boys.