Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lockers

Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #41
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
This is simple.

Save your money..every penny..Get ARBs

Being in college is no excuse. Im in College. Look at my truck. The key to it is WORK YOUR ASS off in the summer. Work hard..Play hard. I also put a lot of money toward my truck. I don't go out and spend 30 bucks twice a week on beer/alchohol or any other drugs or whatever. Eat only what you need to get by, only splurg on a super nice meal once a week.

If you want ARBs. Only take a a while to save up for them. A year or so at the most. It'll be my next big mod..after the one im currently going to do.
hey i like this idea. skip aussie lockers all together
Old 09-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #43
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
With a lunchbox When the ADD disconnects on the front end your driver side CVshaft will still spin thus your front driveshaft as well. (Jeeps and other vehicles have a spinning front Driveshaft from the factory doesn't cause any major wear) This extra spinning could result in a bit more wear like Ujoints wearing faster and guts in your diff. Offroad with 4WD engaged it will put extra strain on the front end with twice the traction being applied. However so will an ARB when engaged. In my experience anytime the extra traction resulted in a CV going boom I would have had an ARB Locked anyway.

Now where the Lunchboxes are not so great is the rear. The front has the Disconnect so the locker isn't ratcheting or being worn during daily driving. When you have it always under load and being ratcheted the locker will wear. Generally speaking the locker itself is the piece that takes all the force of the "unloading" why you hear the clicking or ratcheting. After a few years of street use the Pins on the inside of a street driven locker will need to be replaced.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...pring-and-pins
Ok, this makes more sense... Like I was saying, I know a few peeps running them. One guy I know very well built an 84 Silverado from the ground up, invested big money but went with a Detroit in the rear. I know it was noisy, but he never had issues, put a good amount of miles on the truck. He ended up selling it, but maybe that happened before the locker was ready to give out from wear ?

I would think an installation in the front, and maybe manual hubs would allow it to last a pretty long time ?

Appreciate the explanations, like I said, just trying to understand better.