Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lockers

Old 05-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Lockers

I have an 03 SR5 I'm building as a DD and weekend wheeler. Looking for a good locker that is RELIABLE and easy going on the street. Looking for both front and rear.
Set up
235/85 Kevlars
Allpro non expo 3'' leafs
Eibach coils
5100's front set at zero
Rear 5100 series
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I'm in college lol. ARB is what I am looking at for the rear
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
xcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
xcmtb83's Tacoma Gallery
With anything else you get what you pay for. My advice is waiting until you can afford something quality that you won't want to immediately replace post graduation with your fatter wallet. Just to clarify by no means am I saying that ARB is not a quality product. My advice has to do with cheaper options for the front. I think this applies to a lot of purchases in life. Until then stick with lockers that you put your textbooks in. haha
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do you smell that? It's the sound of ARB lockers in the morning...

The sound they make when they disengage is enough to make everyone green with envy!

I had a pair of ARB's in my Jeep. Best damn thing since sliced pizza & beer!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmtb83 View Post
With anything else you get what you pay for. My advice is waiting until you can afford something quality that you won't want to immediately replace post graduation with your fatter wallet. Just to clarify by no means am I saying that ARB is not a quality product. My advice has to do with cheaper options for the front. I think this applies to a lot of purchases in life. Until then stick with lockers that you put your textbooks in. haha
Well to make it more clear. I know ARB will be in the rear. What about the front? I can tackle the rear myself at work but don't dare touch the front. Im looking for longevity and reliable as the manufacture of the truck.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Well to make it more clear. I know ARB will be in the rear. What about the front? I can tackle the rear myself at work but don't dare touch the front. Im looking for longevity and reliable as the manufacture of the truck.
do you have manual hubs? if so you can go with a lunchbox locker up front.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Arb's are gonna be the most reliable. If I were you id spend the money and get an Arb for the front, its certainly not your only option for the front but certainly the most widely used. Then source a stock e locker for the rear, would be more than adequate for weekend wheeling. And let's not forget the cool factor of having on board air.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ARB for the front also....

Are you familiar with setting up ring & pinion gear setups? If you are not fully and professionally familiar with setting up ring/pinion gears in an axle, then you should take your truck to the professionals to have the ARB installed.

I'm not arguing the fact that you (or anyone else) can't install an ARB. If its not done properly, you could experience a lot of different issues which ultimately could destroy your ARB investment. And....in today's market, it looks like you can pay upwards of $900 for an ARB. Yikes!!

Just sayin....
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would put a lunchbox in the rear to save money and put the arb up front.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
ARB for the front also....

Are you familiar with setting up ring & pinion gear setups? If you are not fully and professionally familiar with setting up ring/pinion gears in an axle, then you should take your truck to the professionals to have the ARB installed.

I'm not arguing the fact that you (or anyone else) can't install an ARB. If its not done properly, you could experience a lot of different issues which ultimately could destroy your ARB investment. And....in today's market, it looks like you can pay upwards of $900 for an ARB. Yikes!!

Just sayin....
ASE Tech. I am doing a lot of research on what I want and need.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
I would put a lunchbox in the rear to save money and put the arb up front.
Pinching coins now will turn into spending coin later.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pinching coins now will turn into spending coin later.
I agree, but there is nothing wrong with a lunchbox locker. If my truck didn't have the e-locker and had manual hubs in the front, I would run lunchbox's front and rear.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I agree, but there is nothing wrong with a lunchbox locker. If my truck didn't have the e-locker and had manual hubs in the front, I would run lunchbox's front and rear.
I'm not sure why people are so against lunchboxes, I would have no issue using them. And tons of jeep guys run Aussies and lock rights with zero issue. It's just a cheaper option.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
I had one in my ford and the clicking and noise that thing made when I was turning to allow one wheel to spun freely was annoying.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Auto lockers are fine in the rear, once you learn how to drive on road with them. It's a bad idea in the front of a taco, even with manual hubs. You'll be snapping CV's like twigs. IFS isn't made for the kind of stress that a auto locker would put on it.
That is very true. Would make for constant costly repairs. I didn't even think about it. I know a few guys running lockrights out back and they say once you "learn" how to theres no issue.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
What about eaton lockers?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Get the ARB's front and rear, or don't do it. Don't make the same mistake I did. I ended up buying ARB's for the front and rear after buying auto lockers. You'll end up kicking yourself if you don't do it right the first time.
This right here ^^^ There is no substitute for doing things right. OP, as you are an ASE certified tech you should understand that for sure. ANYTHING other than a selectable locker in the front is asking for potential trouble. When you are wheeling and the front steering is turned, even a small amount, the front wheels will want to move at slightly different speeds. The tighter you have the steering turned, the more the difference. Having a selectable locker allows you to disengage the locker, releasing that "bind" and then reengaging the locker to regain the traction. It does take a bit of driver skill to work an ARB, as my friend Dave can attest to. You can EASILY break a CV axle or worse. Now granted, a lot of people are running standard lockers in the front and not breaking things. But others ARE breaking things, and when something breaks, it costs money. If you want a low cost alternative to the ARB then you can look at Yukon's Zip Locker that is pretty much the same thing as an ARB, and they are made here in the US. You came asking for thoughts, and these are them: ARB or other selectable in the front, Yukon Gear Grizzly locker in the rear. Those are my suggestions.

Quote:
I had one in my ford and the clicking and noise that thing made when I was turning to allow one wheel to spun freely was annoying.
A properly installed and lubricated locker should not ratchet that loud. I have ran rear lockers in many different trucks and when they started to click I would change the fluid and noise would be gone. Lockers require more maintenance than open or LSD differentials.