1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got a Line-X quote....

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Oscar08, May 29, 2013.

1. May 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    Oscar08

Oscar08 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 Xtra Cab 4x4
    So I've been planning on getting Line-X sprayed on my truck for awhile and HAD been planning on having them shoot the fender flares as well as the plastic on my front bumper..... here is what they quoted me

539 for the bed (over rail)
    75 per fender (and another $75 fee if I have them remove them)
    99 for UV protection.....

So I'm looking at $938 plus tax. Does this seem outrageous to anybody else? I would prefer to have it done professionally and I know the general consensus is that Line-X is the best. But that's some pretty serious dough to be forking over. Maybe have them do the bed and spray the flares myself?

2. May 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What's your primary purpose for getting it done? And I mean....are you doing it to protect the bed from rust? Keep things from sliding around in the bed? Or...?? For looks?

I've never had Line-X, but I know how nice it is and how its very durable. That's a large chunk of $$ to spend on a truck that's 10 years old. That bed (with Line-X in it) will outlast the truck frame!!!

It's either ALL or nothing. Have them do it all OR bail on the Line-X and do everything yourself via some other kit. Mix & matching DIY with professional - will look half done (so to speak) IMO.

It all depends on what you're looking to do and what's important to you.

3. May 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Wow for the price do it you're self. Its really easy, just have to do a good job preping.

Monster liner 1gal $100
    1 gal of rustolem prime $30
    Buy or borrow air compressor- $200
    Ceiling pop corn air gun $30

A long day drinking beer in the sun and getting high off of the fumes- price less

4. May 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    Oscar08

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 Xtra Cab 4x4
    I will be moving back to Washington/Oregon in the near future and with all of the rain I don't want to throw a drop in back there. Not to mention I've never really liked the look of drop ins.

I do agree, I don't want it looking half assed with mismatching liners that is why I'd prefer to get it all done with the same stuff in one go.

5. May 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    why not cover the bed and keep the rain out. Maybe a tonneau that you can remove when you need to use the bed? For those prices you could get a fiber glass tonneau if you wanted.

6. May 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've never done a bed, but I've spayed my flares, front bumper, and the plastic on my rear bumper with rustoleum spray-on bedliner. $75/ flare is completely ridiculous, its 4 or 5 screws to get them off and easy as hell to spray them. The front bumper is also easy, just tape it off. It'll cost less than $25 to do the flares and bumpers yourself.

7. May 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Way over priced. You can do a lot with a thousand bucks. Lining a bed wouldn't be my top choice for that much dough . . .

8. May 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    my rear bumper with a swing out tire gate was 300 bucks. So that sounds about right.

9. May 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Line-X won't prevent stuff from sliding around your bed... just want to make that clear.

My bed, with over the rails was $450 back in 2000 or so. FWIW

As for the UV protection, it wasn't even available when I got my bed sprayed... and I was bummed not too long ago because my Line-X faded horribly, even with a topper on all the time.

However I recently sprayed my entire bed, very liberally, with purple power degreaser then pressure washed it with the nozzle about 3" away from the surface. And repeated the process.

My Line-X looks brand new again.

So maybe the UV protection isn't worth the extra $100 after all.

10. May 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I had $1K to dump into a 10 year old truck I could definitely find something better to do with it. That's why my '98 goes without a lotta fancy stuff lol

11. May 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Those prices sound about right. Line-x is an awesome brand. We have it in one of our trucks that has had very heavy use and it is still holding up fine and the liner was sprayed in the truck back in 00 when the truck was bought brand new. But I think that when I finally decide to spray my truck, I'm going with raptor liner. It comes with everything you need including the gun and its only $100 bucks.

Raptor Liner

Edit: A little bit more advice, do not use the shake can bedliner in the bed of your truck. It won't hold up to any abuse. I have it on both my bumpers and my sliders. Everytime I bump a tree or use the sliders I have to touch it up. Which its good in that sense because I didn't want to use something that was hard to touch up but I would hate to have to touch up my bed everytime I threw a chain or some firewood back there.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  12. May 29, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've done the Herculiner DIY kit on my 96 tacoma (bed, rocksliders) and I've done 2 Jeep floors with it. I've had it on my 96 for many many years/over the rails. The Herculiner isn't all that thick - so, if you drag an engine/axle or heavy object across it, it will scrape off. No biggie - you can easily do touch-ups on itself with no prep work. After 4 years of having it on my rails and being exposed to the weather, it gets thin and has to be re-applied. Again - no biggie. You buy a quart and re-apply it without prep work.

I think its worth it.....for the cost although its a PITA to install. If you go that route, make sure everything you use during the install is disposable (including your clothes & shoes). AVOID getting that shit on your skin.

Line-X is GREAT if you have a NEW NEW truck. But for something that's 10 years old.... save yourself some cash.

13. May 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    BZP56

BZP56 Take a shower, shine your shoes...

Member:
    First Name:
    B.Z.P.
    NM
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB
    Dude, do that yourself. It's a ten year old truck... It's not THAT hard to do plus you'll have some nice new tools. All for way less than $1000.

14. May 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had Line-X done over the rails for $450. So anything around $500 isn't too far off. The only reason it's anywhere near a $1000 is because of all the optional add ons you are putting on. Just get over the rails done and be done with.

If budget is your priority, go to Hme Depot and get a Herculiner Bed kit and do it yourself in a weekend. If you want the highest quality liner with a Lifetime Warranty and don't want to kill a weekend than just get the Line-X done over the rails and forget the add-ones.

15. May 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Quite honestly, I don't see yalls point in saying that it is too old being a ten year old truck. That isn't that old especially for a these little trucks. Mine is 12 years old with 222k on the clock and I've got more money wrapped up in accessories than I paid for the truck. A nice respectable brand name bedliner will actually help the truck sell if the OP decides to sell it down the road. I would much rather buy a truck that has a line-x or rhino liner rather than some of these roll in or aerosol liners.

joe25rs likes this.
  16. May 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    cdj1

cdj1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Vidalia, GA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    King Extended travel coilovers, 5100 Shocks, Daystar shackles,OME Leaf Springs,255/85/16, front diff drop, RAT skid plates, 4.56 gears, LSD in rear, Aussie locker in the front, Front Range Offroad twin sticks, trail gear/ Bash Fab rear bumper, elite off road front bumper and sliders, warn m8000 winch, in cab winch control
    Line-x is tough. I've had it on my 97 Tacoma since it came off the showroom floor new. Yeah, its faded, but has put up with 16 years of hell and is still tough as nails. You get what you pay for.

17. May 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    This.

I fail to see the connection between the truck's age and how that plays into getting the bed Line-X'd or not.

18. May 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
  19. May 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    Oscar08

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 Xtra Cab 4x4
    I agree. Especially seeing how I plan on driving it for at least a decade. I called them back and they offered to do it over the rails for $489 w/ tax.

20. May 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    C O R E

C O R E Christian Off Road Engineering

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4x4 5spd v6
    Line-X bedliner, bedlined toolbox, Satoshi Grille, bedlined stock old school wheels, Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS head unit, Deck plate mod, ISR mod, K&N Drop-in, Thrush muffler dumped @ rear axle, Grey wire mod, +5mph fender stripes
    Did mine for $500 on my 1st gen and haven't thought twice about it, There is a huge difference between professionally applied Line-X and the DIY roll-on/spray-on liners. I say this because my buddy rolled his on with herculiner and followed all the instructions and it turned out horrible. Cracking and peeling after 6 months. I only did over the rails though, and they came down another couple inches to cover up some dings for me. I rustoleum bedlined my fender flares rather than paying for them to do it, I was more confident in bedlining plastic fender flares than an entire metal bed surface and the rustoleum is still holding up great. It's worth the money, just depends on what's more important to you on your truck, I know the list can get long...

I took the opportunity to play with a piece of dried line-x and tried to break it that stuff is incredibly strong. Even if you didn't prepare the surface, it would still hold up great as a shell just by itself. they Line-x'ed a Styrofoam ice chest (the cheap kind you get at the gas station) and I could stand on it and jump up and down.

Products Discussed in

To Top