1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed a new clutch. Here's a little trick.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bobwilson1977, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I've been agonizing about replacing the clutch on my truck for weeks. Anyway, I took it to a friend's place who has a lift. He's a truck mechanic part time so he knows his stuff. He had a great little trick that saved a ton of time. In the manuals it says you have to disconnect the exhaust and remove the transmission from the truck. You can actually just loosen the transmission, turn it sideways towards the driver's side, then push it back. It'll fit on its side over the middle cross member. Then you can run a strap under the front of the transmission and that will hold the front of it up. That way you just put on your new clutch, throwout and pilot bearings and other stuff and put it back together.

You also don't have to disconnect the exhaust. Just wedge some chunks of wood under the oil pan on top of the second cross member and it'll just sit there. The exhaust will hold it steady.

It took us 2 hours to do the whole job. Not bad

2. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing your buddy's secret--it'll make my life easier when I get around to replacing my clutch.

+1

3. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    CraigTRD

CraigTRD It's been a while

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Will have: 6" FabTech Lift, Custom rear leaf packs. Hockey Stick Canadian Flag Mod.
    Sweet. I wonder if that applies to the newer Tacos too... 05 - 09....?

4. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Well, this was for a 2WD 4 banger first gen taco. I'm not sure if this would work for the V6 versions or the new taco. But all you do is see if the tranny will fit through the space between the middle cross member and bottom of the truck. You just need to shove it back far enough to get at the engine and transmission to replace the parts. It would probably also be a lot harder to do if you don't have a lift. I'd say had I not had him to help me, the job would've been 10 times harder because it took me and him both quiet a bit of effort to get the transmission back onto the engine all the way. Glad I've got it done. The first clutch lasted 215,000 miles, so I hopefully won't have to do it again anyway.

5. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    CraigTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Will have: 6" FabTech Lift, Custom rear leaf packs. Hockey Stick Canadian Flag Mod.
    Did you use OEM, or after market clutch?

6. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    I used an aftermarket kit. The thing is that clutches are like tires: There's only a few companies that make them. Mine is a SACHS brand clutch, the most common brand. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealer. Then again, my truck is old with lots of miles, so if I get another 50-60k out of it, I'll be happy.

7. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    CraigTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    10-4, just curious. I am sure it will last way more than 60,000 for you.

8. Feb 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    tmantstud

tmantstud High Mileage Work

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Bed liner, Polk db651s speakers, JVC head unit, Coverking custom saddle blanket seat cover
    I'm hoping I dont have to replace the clutch in my truck while I have it, it has 240,000 miles on the original clutch and has no slipping but if I need to thank you for the tip!:D

9. Feb 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Mine could have probably gone another 10-20k on the old clutch, but since my friend has the lift and offered to help, I went ahead and did it. Honestly, the flywheel and clutch still looked pretty decent, but the clutch was worn down almost to the bolts. The old clutch didn't seem too bad until I replaced it. I used to let off the clutch almost all the way before it would engage. The new one engages almost as soon as I start letting off. So the old one was definitely worn-out and I simply gotten used to it. I'm surprised you've gotten 240,000 on yours. I'm guessing you do all freeway driving. I did until moving to Cali. Now its mostly stop and go.

10. Feb 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    tmantstud

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Bed liner, Polk db651s speakers, JVC head unit, Coverking custom saddle blanket seat cover
    Ya it was mostly freeway driving done before I bought it and now I just do alot of rural 55mph driving with few stops. I do not think the clutch is worn out. there is not any slipping and it engages fairly early, the only problem is that when it is cold the shift in 1st, 2nd, and reverse are really stiff. I am very impressed with the durability of the engine and clutch on this truck.

11. Feb 25, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    If 1st and 2nd gears are stiff when it is cold, then you probably have a worn-out or dry rotted shift lever seat. Its just this rubber piece that fits under the shifter. It costs $15 and takes 30 minutes to replace. They are notorious for wearing out. You might also want to change the transmission oil to redline, or some other synthetic oil. Makes a big difference in how well if shifts.

12. Feb 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    tmantstud

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Thanks. I will check all that out

Products Discussed in

To Top