LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Alignment is good, but tires at still scalloping?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Texasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud of

Name: Chance
Texasdynaryder's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment is good, but tires at still scalloping?

I have aligned my front end twice and they say that everything is good to go! But my truck still wanders around and is chewing up the from tires! Would bad bushings cause this or would it still be in the caster? I'm running 285 75 16 Baja Claws on my toytech coilovers. I don't want to be buying a new set e wry few months or rotating tires every couple weeks. What are you guys thoughts ?
Attached Thumbnails
Alignment is good,  but tires at still scalloping?-image.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Texasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud of

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Alignment is good,  but tires at still scalloping?-image.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
40 year old teenager
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
What year is the truck & how many miles on the suspension?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #5

I put all new suspension last year! Toytech coilovers, OME Dakar leaks, LT uca, lowers bj's, rack bushings, and hats about it. I have 198k on the odometer and its 2004 double cab. The coils are about 3/4 way cranked up
Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
What are the alignment numbers?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Typically that is the sign of bad struts. But lifted and it looks like you have lr uca's not really positive. So miles on current struts and lift height is?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Once a mud tire starts cupping, there is no stopping it. The best thing that you can do is rotate the tires very often but that still won't stop it. You won't know if it is fixed completely till you put another set of tires on it.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
40 year old teenager
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have the same issue with my tires....and my wear is even more noticeable. Been doing alot of reading on this and I've gone thru my suspension top to bottom with no issues "visibly" found.

I believe that my issue is the springs. When I added the heavy bumper to the front, the wear issues began. I've seen on some tire wear charts that a saggy (overloaded?) spring can cause this. My tires are currently out of balance again which I'm sure dosen't help the situation. I've had 3 alignments in less than a year & each time it's dead on.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdj1 View Post
Typically that is the sign of bad struts. But lifted and it looks like you have lr uca's not really positive. So miles on current struts and lift height is?
I'm saying somewhere in the 12-15k mile range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
What are the alignment numbers?
I don't have them off hand but every thing looked in spec with numbers I got off here!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
40 year old teenager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
Once a mud tire starts cupping, there is no stopping it. The best thing that you can do is rotate the tires very often but that still won't stop it. You won't know if it is fixed completely till you put another set of tires on it.
^^Yes...I've been told this also by many guys in the tire/alignment business that I trust.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Were the numbers you got for a stock or lifted truck?

How are your wheel bearing? Tire balance?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
I have the same issue with my tires....and my wear is even more noticeable. Been doing alot of reading on this and I've gone thru my suspension top to bottom with no issues "visibly" found.

I believe that my issue is the springs. When I added the heavy bumper to the front, the wear issues began. I've seen on some tire wear charts that a saggy (overloaded?) spring can cause this. My tires are currently out of balance again which I'm sure dosen't help the situation. I've had 3 alignments in less than a year & each time it's dead on.
I have and alluminum front bumper from relentless fabrication so I don't have a lot of weight hanging up front .
Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Were the numbers you got for a stock or lifted truck?

How are your wheel bearing? Tire balance?
One brand new on the driver side and the passenger in stock but no issues! I guess I should try another balance job!
Sorry the numbers where on it ad it sits now- lifted
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
More info would be helpful...what have u checked??
Chalk tire pressure test.
Suspension parts.
All Bushings.
Wheel bearings.
Etc.
Keep checking, from easy & cheap on up.
Let us know what u do & how it works out.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #16
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
it's the tire itself

Michelin is the very top of the industry in building a balanced tire and carcass for consistent road use

Mickey Thompson Baja Claw is nowhere near that. That is an offroad tire, no
one really expects them to have perfect wear for pavement duty

what is chewing up the tires, is putting the truck on paved roads
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
it's the tire itself

Michelin is the very top of the industry in building a balanced tire and carcass for consistent road use

^^^^^^ and it could be under inflated. Do the chalk test until you get the tire running flat.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marty View Post
More info would be helpful...what have u checked??
Chalk tire pressure test.
Suspension parts.
All Bushings.
Wheel bearings.
Etc.
Keep checking, from easy & cheap on up.
Let us know what u do & how it works out.
Shoot man everything, I have replaced almost the whole front end that moves. So the whole front end is relatively new. I'm going to get them balanced again as soon as I can get to San Antonio. I was just trying to figure out what I was missing.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
What tire pressure are you running?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
it's the tire itself

So your saying I should sell my tires and run some Michelin road tire. Well evidently you have never been to South Texas. I run lease roads and dirt pipeline right of ways 85 percent of the time. So again tell me how I can possible run off road all day. And I was trying to figure out what is chewing them up so fast. Yes it's my first set of them and I usually run a Toyo with similar problems.