Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

first gen frame rust

Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
letgo is on a distinguished road
letgo's Tacoma Gallery
first gen frame rust

hello devoted tacoma fans,,have a problem that maybe one of you diehard tacoma fans can help me with,, does anybody know of any class action law suits that are going on now against toyoya for the frame rust on their tacomas ..got off the phone w/ them yesterday and basically they said tough tits that I have a developing hole above my rear pass leaf spring,,they further explained that the cut off date for the free undercoating spray (which I never got notified for} was 12/31/12 and that there are no further programs for this ongoing rust issue ,,I have been a devoted toyota fan for abt 15yrs now owning everything from 3 corollas a rav 4 and wifey w a 2011 seinna and its hard to believe that toyota corp brushed me off like that ,,can anybody help w/some input,,thx alot still a toyota fan
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Letgo,

Do a search on here, tonnes of info on frame rust and a fair amount of people in your shoes. I haven't heard about Toyota helping anyone out though if you truck didn't come in for an inspection prior to the 2012 date (it was oct 2011 for Canada). I think the campaign ran from 2008 to try and notify taco owners if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
DW85 is on a distinguished road
Marines: CPL
Name: Daniel
DW85's Tacoma Gallery
Did you call toyota corporate?
I'm not sure if mine had been taken in for inspection prior to 2012 since that is when I bought it. So when I found rust on my frame I called toyota corporate they asked for my VIN # then put me in touch with a dealer to have it inspected. One month later I now have a new frame.
Good luck!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Highboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud of

Highboy90's Tacoma Gallery
After a long winter, I finally contacted Toyota Corporate regarding my '99 (purchased 12/98) to verify expressing the desire to have my truck inspected as it may or may not be a concern. Was told that the truck still qualifies for the 15 year 90D campaign and to set up an appointment for a free inspection. If I have problems, to call my Toyota "case manager" and we'll go from there.

Stay tuned...
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
HerkyBird is on a distinguished road
HerkyBird's Tacoma Gallery
You should not have any problems. You are within the 15 yr period, and prior inspection was not required for your 1999.

And if rust perforation is found - Toyota is paying better money currently for buybacks than even a year ago, based on current KBB prices x 150%.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Op, there was a very extensive recall for a number of years. If your truck was not under coated before the deadline a couple years ago you are out of luck. If you were undercoated and inspected then there's a 16 year warranty from the date of manufacture.. This apparently varies from region to region? It's all not very clear. Sorry to hear you missed the deadline
Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
MEDICDUDE423 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
MEDICDUDE423's Tacoma Gallery
I took my 2003 xtra cab in today for a frame inspection and it failed. New frame ordered! Call toyo corporate i did!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDICDUDE423 View Post
I took my 2003 xtra cab in today for a frame inspection and it failed. New frame ordered! Call toyo corporate i did!
Your truck had to have been undercoated by Toyota prior to that then right?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
MEDICDUDE423 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
MEDICDUDE423's Tacoma Gallery
actually no, I bought my truck new in 2003 and had a few routine trips to the dealership then after 60k been doing all the maintenance myself. I never had any service to my frame, no offers by the dealership to undercoat or anything
Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDICDUDE423 View Post
actually no, I bought my truck new in 2003 and had a few routine trips to the dealership then after 60k been doing all the maintenance myself. I never had any service to my frame, no offers by the dealership to undercoat or anything
I give up anything I know about Toyotas logic behind this..
Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Highboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkyBird View Post
You should not have any problems. You are within the 15 yr period, and prior inspection was not required for your 1999.

And if rust perforation is found - Toyota is paying better money currently for buybacks than even a year ago, based on current KBB prices x 150%.
So who should I speak with at the Yota dealership? Service manager I would assume and setup a appointment for a free frame inspection.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
HerkyBird is on a distinguished road
HerkyBird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highboy90 View Post
So who should I speak with at the Yota dealership? Service manager I would assume and setup a appointment for a free frame inspection.
The service writer at your Toyota dealer should be up to speed and know how to write it up. If not, ask to speak with the SM. I see you are in NY, so every dealer should be quite familiar with the process.

Again, your 1999 Tacoma does not fall under the same guidelines re: prior inspection/corrosion treatment as the 2001 - 2004 model year trucks.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #14

Thanks HerkyBird. Going to make the appointment and see how it goes. Like to keep the truck but we'll see what Toyota says.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
tcrhino is on a distinguished road

tcrhino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by letgo View Post
hello devoted tacoma fans,,have a problem that maybe one of you diehard tacoma fans can help me with,, does anybody know of any class action law suits that are going on now against toyoya for the frame rust on their tacomas ..got off the phone w/ them yesterday and basically they said tough tits that I have a developing hole above my rear pass leaf spring,,they further explained that the cut off date for the free undercoating spray (which I never got notified for} was 12/31/12 and that there are no further programs for this ongoing rust issue ,,I have been a devoted toyota fan for abt 15yrs now owning everything from 3 corollas a rav 4 and wifey w a 2011 seinna and its hard to believe that toyota corp brushed me off like that ,,can anybody help w/some input,,thx alot still a toyota fan
sigh... im stuck with a cracked frame because the original owner neglected the notice that was send out years ago. called toyota cooperate and they told me i have to drive it until it breaks apart if i dont have 9 grand f'ing pissed but oh well; gonna have to wield it together.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #16

Appointment scheduled for Monday. Keeping fingers crossed.