Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What kind of pipes?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
IanMitchy is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
IanMitchy's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of pipes?

I'm thinking about getting either straight pipes or Flowmaster 40's. Most of my friends drive Z71s with straights so I know I'm not any competition to them since my truck is V6. But I'd still like to have a headturner. What do ya'll think?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Insert nonsense here
rmerchant3 has a spectacular aura aboutrmerchant3 has a spectacular aura aboutrmerchant3 has a spectacular aura about

rmerchant3's Tacoma Gallery
No flowmasters.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
Straights. Flowmasters sound like shit.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
IanMitchy is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
IanMitchy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm leanin towards straights, but it also depends on price too. I wants to do so much but have so little money
Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Do not do a straight pipe on a V6 truck trust me they sound like total rice burners. TRUST ME.

Just get an exhaust that has a deep note like Aero Turbine and don't try and hope that it will sound anything like a Z71. You'll be much happier if you take my advice.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
sell your truck and get a Z71 if you want to sound like your friends. Otherwise, keep your exhaust stock or quiet, your neighbors will appreciate it.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
This is my set up and I really dont like it, im trying to find a stock exhaust to swap back on, but to give you a feeling of how un-V8 our trucks sound:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Aero turbine exhaust on, ricer mode engaged
http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=2948a50b.mp4
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
blknblubkrdude is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
blknblubkrdude's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my X-Runner, I also thought the V6's sounded strange. It's too bad they don't have a VQ35 sound to them!

I vote for neither. They will both sound like poop. If anything, I would put a Magnaflow exhaust on. It will have a more mellow tone, and not so "tinny".
Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
white truck = 5vz/factory muffler
silver truck = 5vz/FM 40

http://youtu.be/zhrdSFKCOzE

straight pipe is bad for the motor/valves
not to mention: you'll lose torque as well.

The original muffler was designed to be the most efficient
and perform best per Toyota's engineering.

Any muffler you install is likely going to change that.
A free flowing exhaust does not mean more power.

pic of my FM40...

Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Loppy is on a distinguished road

Loppy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
not to mention: you'll lose torque as well.

The original muffler was designed to be the most efficient
and perform best per Toyota's engineering.

This is dead nuts on on target. Unless you have a ton of money for injectors, forced induction, re-mapping etc etc any aftermarket exhaust is going to net you a LOSS in performance. If you wanna be a flatbiller ricer douchebag, get a CIVIC, toss on a fart can and have at it.

Quiet = good
Loud = bad
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
if the exhaust is designed properly for your truck you will see an increase in power. i think the magnaflow gives you 8hp.

but as others have said, dont do straight pipes
Old 05-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Agree with all you said, but this isn't true. Very SHORT straight pipes are bad for the valves because they let oxygen back up stream and into the heads oxidizing the hot valves.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
My friend has a 4.0 with true dual straights and no cats I think. Sounds like complete shit. Magnaflow is the way to go with these trucks.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Texasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud of

Name: Chance
Texasdynaryder's Tacoma Gallery
When I added my Magnaflow cat back, I lost a little low end. But it seems to me it gained it back on the top side.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
straight pipes holmes..
Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
My friend has a 4.0 with true dual straights and no cats I think. Sounds like complete shit. Magnaflow is the way to go with these trucks.
dont mean to get off subject but your truck looks sweet! what size tires you got? how big is your rear leaf, and how bad does it set down now that your overload is out?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco Man View Post
dont mean to get off subject but your truck looks sweet! what size tires you got? how big is your rear leaf, and how bad does it set down now that your overload is out?
Thank ma! I have 33 12.50r18s. I can't remember if I have a 1.5 or 2 inch add a leaf. Taking the overloads out just leveled it out, which is what I wanted.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The original muffler was designed to be the most efficient and perform best per Toyota's engineering.

Spot on.

I can also confirm that by personal experience when I opened up the exhaust on my 2.7, lost some bottom end torque, and put the stock muffler back on.