Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spartan Locker

Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Dman is on a distinguished road
Name: Darin
Dman's Tacoma Gallery
Spartan Locker

I'm getting ready to turbocharge my '98 5 lugger and the open diff just ain't gonna cut it. I found these Spartan Lockers and "searched" this site but mostly 4x4 guys talking about them. Any street trucks sporting one of these things?
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm getting ready to turbocharge my '98 5 lugger and the open diff just ain't gonna cut it. I found these Spartan Lockers and "searched" this site but mostly 4x4 guys talking about them. Any street trucks sporting one of these things?
Get a LSD for a daily driver. The spartan locker sucks for dd cuz it is always engaged when your on the gas
Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Look into the Supra LSD. From my understanding, the oem LSD from the supra/celica of certain years will drop into the rear diff of smaller toyota trucks. You can find them at junk yards or craigslist part out.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Get a LSD for a daily driver. The spartan locker sucks for dd cuz it is always engaged when your on the gas
Not "always" engaged. I have lockrites (similar design) and they don't always lock. Only time it matters is when you're turning anyway. And it was only sometimes locked when turning, every now and again, say when you floor it it will lock around corners.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Dman's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has the 7.5, is the Supra the same?

I like the idea of the drop in locker over having to have a pro set up a diff swap
Old 06-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
I have a Spartan in my '87 4Runner that I drive on the street and crawl with. While it is not "always" engaged; it is engaged as much as you are engaged with the gas pedal. I had to really think about not powering through turns because it would engage the locker. I would not put a lunch box type locker into a DD simply because of the traction/engagement issues for wet/icy conditions. I drove it around on some ice and had a lot of fun because it broke loose pretty easy when turning.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Dman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the insight. Might try to find a posi, otherwise maybe the explorer 8.8 is an option
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
LOW.LIGHT.WIDE
mrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
mrbeggins's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Richmond locker in the rear of my daily driver as well. I can personally say its not nearly as bad as everyone is saying they are. Yea there engaged when driving down the highway but who cares. When you need it its there. No air lines to worry about like the arb. No failing compressors. No electronic gremlins to worry about like with the e locker. When you turn corners with it, it ratchets. Once you get back on the gas hard it will engage. I've driven it most of the winter with it in the truck and no issues at all. If your looking for good positive traction without any headaches get the Richmond or the spartan. You won't be disappointed.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Not "always" engaged. I have lockrites (similar design) and they don't always lock. Only time it matters is when you're turning anyway. And it was only sometimes locked when turning, every now and again, say when you floor it it will lock around corners.
I have the lock right on my truck and yeah your right about it not engaged when turn I guess I just got lead foot when I turn
Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
I have a Spartan in my '87 4Runner that I drive on the street and crawl with. While it is not "always" engaged; it is engaged as much as you are engaged with the gas pedal. I had to really think about not powering through turns because it would engage the locker. I would not put a lunch box type locker into a DD simply because of the traction/engagement issues for wet/icy conditions. I drove it around on some ice and had a lot of fun because it broke loose pretty easy when turning.
I've had few little scary moments in the rain. You defenitly have to change your driving habits when you put the lunch box locker on a dd.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Aussie locker too... I had a guy join the site just to PM me and tell me to go with the Aussie. He had a pretty sweet 5 lugger... I believe it was Turboed. He used it for desert racing.

I haven't put it in yet, but want to eventually. Keep us posted on the turbo build, it's something I'm toying around with right now too
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Dman's Tacoma Gallery
I may go for it. The Spartan isn't expensive and I can sacrifice some comfort for positive traction, and since it very seldom gets snow or ice on the roads down here I'm not concerned about that. Besides who doesn't like going sideways around a corner?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
LOW.LIGHT.WIDE
mrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
mrbeggins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I may go for it. The Spartan isn't expensive and I can sacrifice some comfort for positive traction, and since it very seldom gets snow or ice on the roads down here I'm not concerned about that. Besides who doesn't like going sideways around a corner?
Good choice dude. You won't be disappointed. There strong, reliable, all minimal maintenance required.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Dman's Tacoma Gallery
never was a fan of auburn stuff. Atleast in the mustang world their posi unit was not rebuildable. So once it's done it's done...