Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

nedd a little lift

Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
jaymotacoma is on a distinguished road
jaymotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
nedd a little lift

My 04 4x4 tacoma is stock. I need to put new shocks on it and wanted some advise on which ones to use. I commute more than offroad but want to have a good suspension for when I do. Any advise on which shocks to use? Also I wanted a little more lift in the front end. Can I just buy bigger coils? If so which ones? Glad to own a Tacoma!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Yotajoe01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Yotajoe01's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at these. You can adjust the front 2.5 inches so it levels your truck. http://www.bilstein.com/offroad.php#5100pre
This suspention company has some great stuff for tacos as well. These upper control arms are bad ass.
http://www.chaosfab.com/96500.html

This stuff is practicly bolt on and sould really improve preformance on and off road.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
^ The noob is right!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotajoe01 View Post
Take a look at these. You can adjust the front 2.5 inches so it levels your truck. http://www.bilstein.com/offroad.php#5100pre
This suspention company has some great stuff for tacos as well. These upper control arms are bad ass.
http://www.bilstein.com/offroad.php#5100pre

This stuff is practicly bolt on and sould really improve preformance on and off road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
^ The noob is right!
^^^^ yep!!! good call.

on my 04..................my complete suspension was worn out when i got it...........so i replaced everything. bilstein 5100's all the way around(fronts are adjustable.....i kept mine at the stock setting)...........ome 881 coils for the front and wheelers/alcan 5 leaf rear packs.................provided me a way,way better ride, and gave me a little lift also. round 2 inches for the front...........and 1.5 inches in the rear.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Can't go wrong with 2.5 Swayaway's......
Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
^^^^ yep!!! good call.

on my 04..................my complete suspension was worn out when i got it...........so i replaced everything. bilstein 5100's all the way around(fronts are adjustable.....i kept mine at the stock setting)...........ome 881 coils for the front and wheelers/alcan 5 leaf rear packs.................provided me a way,way better ride, and gave me a little lift also. round 2 inches for the front...........and 1.5 inches in the rear.
I also want to get a better ride on my '02...you're saying that the 5100s give you 1.5" lift in the front on the stock setting? Are the OME springs necessary to improve the ride in the front?

Also, I put the Alcan stock height springs on the back; if I get 5100s for the rear, am I going to need to put an add-a-leaf in the rear?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6 View Post
I also want to get a better ride on my '02...you're saying that the 5100s give you 1.5" lift in the front on the stock setting? Are the OME springs necessary to improve the ride in the front?

Also, I put the Alcan stock height springs on the back; if I get 5100s for the rear, am I going to need to put an add-a-leaf in the rear?
well,actually................i left the 5100's at the stock setting in the front, and the ome 881 coils gave me the 2 inches in the front. i got the bilsteins because my stock shocks(blue tokico's) were shot and leaking, and i love bilsteins, so i got them for the comfort factor.

for the rears, if you get ome 881 coils, you will need an aal to give the rear some lift to make up the difference for the front, and the 5100's should be fine on the rear.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well,actually................i left the 5100's at the stock setting in the front, and the ome 881 coils gave me the 2 inches in the front. i got the bilsteins because my stock shocks(blue tokico's) were shot and leaking, and i love bilsteins, so i got them for the comfort factor.

for the rears, if you get ome 881 coils, you will need an aal to give the rear some lift to make up the difference for the front, and the 5100's should be fine on the rear.
Is it worth it to just put the 5100s in all around without replacing any springs? I'd like to improve the ride, not necessarily looking to go up...
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Is it worth it to just put the 5100s in all around without replacing any springs? I'd like to improve the ride, not necessarily looking to go up...
yeah.....the 5100's are the first thing i replaced..............before i upgraded everything else. the 5100's are great by themselves.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #10

glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah.....the 5100's are the first thing i replaced..............before i upgraded everything else. the 5100's are great by themselves.
Why is it most of the online vendors I have tried don't list 01-04 Tacomas in their 5100 application vehicle list? Who do you suggest for the 5100s?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Why is it most of the online vendors I have tried don't list 01-04 Tacomas in their 5100 application vehicle list? Who do you suggest for the 5100s?
definitely get the 5100's from downsouth motorsports.........................sonny is an awesome dude with great customer service, and they are a vendor here at tacomaworld too...................plus, they have the best prices that i have seen out of anyone!!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #12

glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
definitely get the 5100's from downsouth motorsports.........................sonny is an awesome dude with great customer service, and they are a vendor here at tacomaworld too...................plus, they have the best prices that i have seen out of anyone!!
Just got off the phone with Sonny, ordered a complete set of 5100s front and rear. You're right, great guy, great price, and $00.00 shipping cost! Hard to beat. Now for the waiting game...

Is there a write-up on the front installation? I've searched some, not found it yet...
Old 02-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Sonny, ordered a complete set of 5100s front and rear. You're right, great guy, great price, and $00.00 shipping cost! Hard to beat. Now for the waiting game...

Is there a write-up on the front installation? I've searched some, not found it yet...
for the front....................if you have never used a spring compressor before......its best to just take the whole shock assembly off and take it to a shop and let someone swap the shocks out for you. spring compressors can be dangerous if you arent familiar with them.