Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ARB Compressor Mounting Schemes?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
ARB Compressor Mounting Schemes?

Working on mounting an ARB compressor in my engine bay today. I've got only one obvious spot where it'll fit but not optimal.

The ABS unit, air bag wire loom and the ignition control unit thingy make the fit a little tight and awkward.

Anyone got advice/pictures/a write-up of how they mounted on an ABS equipped 1st Gen?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
If you want it in the engine bay, I think you're pretty much stuck with that spot unless you do some modifications (I deleted the ABS system for example). If it fits there, why isn't it optimal? If it's just awkward to reach bolts and what not, I think your best bet is just build a mounting bracket that shares preexisting bolts from other equipment.

FWIW, if it was me, I'd stick it in one of the compartments under the jump seats. The compressor is something I'd want to keep the mud and crap off of.

Love your truck BTW.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
If you want it in the engine bay, I think you're pretty much stuck with that spot unless you do some modifications (I deleted the ABS system for example). If it fits there, why isn't it optimal? If it's just awkward to reach bolts and what not, I think your best bet is just build a mounting bracket that shares preexisting bolts from other equipment.
I've considered taking out the ABS. What all did you have to do?

Hmmm, I'll have to look at the mounting scheme for the ARB and see what I can do. Was originally thinking of mounting using the ARB template and just stacking a couple washers to clear things and level it out. Was hoping to see how others had done it before I go drilling holes.

Quote:

FWIW, if it was me, I'd stick it in one of the compartments under the jump seats. The compressor is something I'd want to keep the mud and crap off of.
I'd considered this but the storage space under the jump seats are already filled up with recovery gear and tools. At one point I was even thinking of getting the big ARB compressor and mounting it under the passenger seat. I tossed that idea out after weighing the noise, heat and greater risk of nicking or pinching the locker line going out the firewall

Quote:
Love your truck BTW.
Thanks man! You and BoxRocket, Silas and a few others are the ones I stayed up late reading through builds. Thanks again for the input on the BudBuilts. Should be getting a new front skid from them on Wed.

Guess I have to suck it up and figure out how to make this mounting location work.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you mount it in the cab, it's loud enough that you'll jump out of your skin and bang your head on the roof when it unexpectedly engages to keep the pressure in the line constant.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Working on mounting an ARB compressor in my engine bay today. I've got only one obvious spot where it'll fit but not optimal.
The ABS unit, air bag wire loom and the ignition control unit thingy make the fit a little tight and awkward.

That spot looks fine. If you really want to go slick you could fab up a bracket that

1. moves the ignition control a litlle rearward
2. mounts the compressor overlapping OVER the control and then
3. shift the little air tank all the way forward and maybe a little downward (once you loosen some bolts you can orient it relative to the compressor any way you want) so that the whole thing still clears the hood.

Just remember that when the compressor is operating it vibrates and moves about 1/4" inch in every direction as it does so. So don't butt it up right against anything else.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Mine's a second gen not first gen and it's on the driver not passenger side.

But by comparison - you've got LOTS of room.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Holy Sheet! That is tight.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Holy Sheet! That is tight.
Right. So, what *you* complainin' about?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
absolutely nothing.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
One more thing:

Like I said - don't mount it so any part of it's actually touching (or within half an inch) of anything else if you can help it. (I ended up within about 1/4" of some rubber flexible lines.)

In a "snowball's chance in hell" type of way, I tried to minimize noise and transmitted vibration by using rubber washers on both sides of all my mounting points.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Really appreciate of the advice. It's always the little things that bite back in the end.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've considered taking out the ABS. What all did you have to do?
All I did was literally pull the ABS system and put new lines in. New lines are cheap and I got an OEM union which was like 20 bucks I think. That simple really. And the truck handles much better without it.

I used this diagram to figure out how the lines needed to be routed.

http://www.utoyot8.com/Picture.aspx?...ppName=472252A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
If you mount it in the cab, it's loud enough that you'll jump out of your skin and bang your head on the roof when it unexpectedly engages to keep the pressure in the line constant.
That loud eh? Well shit. haha
I guess the other viable option would be to get a toolbox for the bed and mount it in there.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Spent an hour or so out in the garage brainstorming mounting schemes with a buddy. the spot I initially picked out is as good as it gets. The most empty space available just need to do something to create a shelf or some other mounting scheme. Two ideas popped out:

1. Build a small shelf on top of the wheel well between the ABS head and the air filter heatshield and bolt the compressor to that.

2. Bolt the compressor to the airfilter heat shield and build a cradle for the compressor to rest on against the top of the wheel well. (Probable use some silicon to mechanically isolate while not melting.)

heading to Lowe's in a bit to see what they got in stock for sheet metal for the shelf idea.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
There is a 3rd option which entails removing the ABS and purchasing and installing the ARB bigboy compressor in all that empty space. Option 3 will take some heavy deciding.

Thanks, 45acp, for filling me in on the ABS removal.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I have a preliminary design in my head. Going to build a shelf that bolts to some pre-existing holes on the hood rail and then I'll have to drill some holes down on the wheel well.

Now I have to go build some tooling to bend sheet metal and I have to test if 16ga is going to hold up or if I need to find some 10ga.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #16

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I did a little exploratory work tonight.

This is the hole I need to fill with a compressor:

There's 3 6mm holes with backing nuts already there. So my idea is to take some sheet metal and bend it into a shelf and use the 3 existing holes for mounts.

An attempt at bending some scrap 16ga sheet metal I practiced drilling on:

So here it is sitting in the hole:

Different angle:

So I'm unsure if the 16ga steel will be enough to support the compressor. Thinking a block of rubber shoved underneath my be enough once I get the actual shelf built. Going to be tricky working out the bends to line up with the holes but it is a start.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
I remember watching some awesome inspirational expedition overland vids and these folks mounted one on their beastly 1st gen taco in this location:

Source: Expedition Overland

Maybe this could be a good mounting location on your rig?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm. I looked at roughly that area and ruled it out for some reason I've forgotten. Going to go look at it again.

Thanks for posting! would make the install just a bolt on.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #20
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmm. I looked at roughly that area and ruled it out for some reason I've forgotten. Going to go look at it again.

Thanks for posting! would make the install just a bolt on.
I'd love to eventually get me one of these ARB compressors for my rig! Please keep us posted once you decide the optimal place to mount it!