Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AWESOME news from the mechanic

Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
MrDunev is on a distinguished road
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
AWESOME news from the mechanic

So just had my new truck inspected for the first time.

Went to Lextech in Silverlake, Ca. For a full inspection they charged only $45. A competitor I called cost $150, so I was pretty happy about that.

I was slightly worried at what they might find. Even though I hadn't noticed any problems with the car, I still knew that it was old. I spent pretty much all of my savings so I wouldn't be able to afford extreme repairs. But fortunately I lucked out.

They told me that it was EXTREMELY clean, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

They also said that the Catalytic Converter had been replaced (with OEM), as well as the timing belt, front shocks, and that the Tires

That sort of had me worried that maybe the car had taken a beating during it's short lifetime, but they assured me that it had been well taken care of, and that I scored a sweet deal with it's immaculate condition. They were all quite shocked

I took a risk buying this truck, and spent almost all of my savings.I had more than a few friends tell me I was an idiot for buying a truck without getting it inspected first. I do agree with them, and would probably say the same thing had the roles been reversed. I had a gut feeling and went with it, and I am just happy it paid off Now all they can say is "you got lucky" hahaha.

Just thought I would share the news with the guys who can appreciate how I feel right now

Old 06-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Congratulations! Glad everything on it was good since you spent your savings on it.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
Post some pics of your truck?
I posted some a little while ago, but here are some newer ones.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
The pics didn't show up before, I see them now great looking truck! I wish my bumper was still that black haha, im thinking about painting it soon though
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Glad that worked out for you. That's a nice looking truck.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Talk slow, shoot fast.
DirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
DirtyDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
Glad that worked out for you. That's a nice looking truck.
x2.. Great looking truck just know that you have tons of TW members jealous of how clean your truck is haha
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing they could tell me was to probably have my front lower ball joints replaced next, which I'll probably do in a couple thousand miles, when I switch the oil over to synthetic and rotate my tires.

Any clue what it costs to have them replaced?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a dealer replace your LBJ's you're going to pay a few hundred. If you do it yourself you'll spend less than $100, unless you buy OEM LBJ's which I suggest.

Personally, I would not switch to synthetic oil. If that truck has been running fine all these years with conventional oil, no need to switch. I've read hundreds of reviews on switching and some guys have good luck while others don't. Personally, I don't feel like dealing with motor problems so I still use conventional oil.

How many miles do you have?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
If you have a dealer replace your LBJ's you're going to pay a few hundred. If you do it yourself you'll spend less than $100, unless you buy OEM LBJ's which I suggest.

Personally, I would not switch to synthetic oil. If that truck has been running fine all these years with conventional oil, no need to switch. I've read hundreds of reviews on switching and some guys have good luck while others don't. Personally, I don't feel like dealing with motor problems so I still use conventional oil.

How many miles do you have?
I would have to check and see how much difficult it would be to switch them myself. My truck has 49,xxx miles
Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
It's not hard at all. Just rent the pitman arm puller from Autozone. If you know how to turn nuts and bolts you can do it yourself.

If you want to check to see if they need replacement, lift up each tire, place your hands at 12&9. If there is any play in the tire then you need to replace them. If there is no play, you do not need to replace them.

While your tires are off the ground put your hands at 3 & 6 to check for play. If there is any play you need to replace your tie rods-inner or outer depending on which one it is.

If your truck only has 49k miles I highly doubt the LBJ's or tie rods need to be replaced.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that is an example of a great looking late model Tacoma. Very nice
Old 06-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's not hard at all. Just rent the pitman arm puller from Autozone. If you know how to turn nuts and bolts you can do it yourself.

If you want to check to see if they need replacement, lift up each tire, place your hands at 12&9. If there is any play in the tire then you need to replace them. If there is no play, you do not need to replace them.

While your tires are off the ground put your hands at 3 & 6 to check for play. If there is any play you need to replace your tie rods-inner or outer depending on which one it is.

If your truck only has 49k miles I highly doubt the LBJ's or tie rods need to be replaced.
Wheels don't have any play. So I guess I'll hold off

Thanks
Old 06-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #14

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. Your tires will start vibrating if you ever need to replace them.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds good. Your tires will start vibrating if you ever need to replace them.
There is a slight wobble around 65, and I think it's tire ballence though. Will they vibrate at all speeds?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to behold

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDunev View Post
So just had my new truck inspected for the first time.

Went to Lextech in Silverlake, Ca. For a full inspection they charged only $45. A competitor I called cost $150, so I was pretty happy about that.

I was slightly worried at what they might find. Even though I hadn't noticed any problems with the car, I still knew that it was old. I spent pretty much all of my savings so I wouldn't be able to afford extreme repairs. But fortunately I lucked out.

They told me that it was EXTREMELY clean, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

They also said that the Catalytic Converter had been replaced (with OEM), as well as the timing belt, front shocks, and that the Tires

That sort of had me worried that maybe the car had taken a beating during it's short lifetime, but they assured me that it had been well taken care of, and that I scored a sweet deal with it's immaculate condition. They were all quite shocked

I took a risk buying this truck, and spent almost all of my savings.I had more than a few friends tell me I was an idiot for buying a truck without getting it inspected first. I do agree with them, and would probably say the same thing had the roles been reversed. I had a gut feeling and went with it, and I am just happy it paid off Now all they can say is "you got lucky" hahaha.

Just thought I would share the news with the guys who can appreciate how I feel right now

That's great but why spend just about all your savings on a vehicle?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #17

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a number of things from unbalanced tires, loose spindle bolts-which you should check immediately, carrier bearing, etc. Double check to make sure there is no play in your tires up/down & side to side. You can also rotate your tires to see if the problem still occurs. If so, you have a problem on the front end.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #18

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB1977 View Post
That's great but why spend just about all your savings on a vehicle?
Cause he wanted to. Better than financing.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
MrDunev's Tacoma Gallery
ARB 1977, I used my savings because I was saving for a car

I haven't had a car in over 4 years, and have been using my CBR929RR as my daily commute, or the bus.

I did finance at a pretty low APR though for part of the truck.

Johnnie,

I told the mechanics about it and after looking the mechanic said he thinks it is most likely something to do with the tire balance, since it only does it at a certain MPH. I'll try and take it in again soon and see if they can fix it. I'm moving this month so things are a little crazy