Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 Cylinder vs 6 Cylinder

Old 06-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
tryin2buildit is on a distinguished road
tryin2buildit's Tacoma Gallery
4 Cylinder vs 6 Cylinder

I sold my 96 extra cab on 31's, auto, 4x4, fabtech coil overs, and addaleaf. with 287000 miles. It ran super strong...

now I am looking at an extra cab with 125000 miles 2003 extra cab 5 speed stock suspension but 2.7 4 cyl.

how do the 4 bangers do ? what are your opinions?

I put surfboards in the back, go camping, like to go to the sand and dirt, and plan to lift it a little and put 31 again. and the asking price is 10500, trucks immaculate. no power windows
Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin2buildit View Post
I sold my 96 extra cab on 31's, auto, 4x4, fabtech coil overs, and addaleaf. with 287000 miles. It ran super strong...

now I am looking at an extra cab with 125000 miles 2003 extra cab 5 speed stock suspension but 2.7 4 cyl.

how do the 4 bangers do ? what are your opinions?

I put surfboards in the back, go camping, like to go to the sand and dirt, and plan to lift it a little and put 31 again. and the asking price is 10500, trucks immaculate. no power windows
There's been at least a dozen threads on this subject. Short answer? It's gutless. If you're just trying to get there, it's more than enough. But if you tow, haul, or like to accelerate quickly then I'd pass and keep my eye out for a 6cyl
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
It's gutless. If you're just trying to get there, it's more than enough. But if you tow, haul, or like to accelerate quickly then I'd pass and keep my eye out for a 6cyl

thisss! I wish I would have got the 4.0. I mean my 2.7 gets me around fine but I always struggle on long hills. 4.88's should help with that though
Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
I have a d-cab 2.7 and it's gutless but I still tow my pop-up camper and supplies. I get where I need to go and the engine is almost maintenance free. I run 33" tires with steel wheels, tube bumpers front and rear. Obviously that doesn't help but I love it. Gas mileage still sucks because of the overall weight and the lack of power from the 2.7. You will pay close more if you find of 3.4.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Basically if you're gonna mod it or tow get a 6. If not the 4 cylinder is fine. I like mine b/c it gets good mileage and doesn't need timing belts. And it was cheap to buy b/c everybody wants 6's.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
4wd is awesome
4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future

Name: Collin
4x4yota's Tacoma Gallery
Get the v6 if u plan on doing any towing
Plus you dont get to good of gas mileage with the 4cyl cuz you will have to beat on it to get it to go anywhere thus giving you not so good gas milage
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is a 2.7L double cab. Driving around town and flat roads I think it is a great engine. On the highway is where it lacks power. Any hills or a strong headwind has the transmission kicking out of overdrive. Gas mileage wise I feel really good anytime I get 19 mpg. I have 165,000 trouble free miles on the truck and despite the fact I hate driving it on the interstate some times it's a great truck!!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
I have a d-cab 2.7 and it's gutless but I still tow my pop-up camper and supplies. I get where I need to go and the engine is almost maintenance free. I run 33" tires with steel wheels, tube bumpers front and rear. Obviously that doesn't help but I love it. Gas mileage still sucks because of the overall weight and the lack of power from the 2.7. You will pay close more if you find of 3.4.
What he said, the ease of working on a 4cyl is great. Tons of room and reliable. Working on a v6 is tough and cramped but for towing it's better than a 4cyl
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
Kauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Cav Troop XO, 1LT
Kauai Taco's Tacoma Gallery
my 2.7 02 prerunner DC does just fine. It's up and down hill everywhere here...i turn of the ac on bigger hills but 310 miles on 15 gals when i filled it today!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai Taco View Post
my 2.7 02 prerunner DC does just fine. It's up and down hill everywhere here...i turn of the ac on bigger hills but 310 miles on 15 gals when i filled it today!
310 miles! Damn, I've never seen that many miles. Most I ever got is 240.

Everything I've read says all Tacomas have 18 gallons but I know my truck only holds 15 gallons. I mentioned this on TTOR but didn't get a confirmation.

www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187924
Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Kauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Cav Troop XO, 1LT
Kauai Taco's Tacoma Gallery
well this is only the 3rd tank I've run thru the truck...I got it a month ago. I have run the tank down to empty just shy of the light coming on(too chicken, lol) 3x's so far and each time I topped off at 15 gals....had to click the trigger a few times too!

310 miles with the A/C on 70% of the time but I do switch it off on bigger hills! I use my odometer "A" for fill-ups and reset it at the gas station each time.

I've heard the 18gal rating too... so guys, is there a 3 gal reserve?

Sorry for the hijack!!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai Taco View Post
well this is only the 3rd tank I've run thru the truck...I got it a month ago. I have run the tank down to empty just shy of the light coming on(too chicken, lol) 3x's so far and each time I topped off at 15 gals....had to click the trigger a few times too!

310 miles with the A/C on 70% of the time but I do switch it off on bigger hills! I use my odometer "A" for fill-ups and reset it at the gas station each time.

I've heard the 18gal rating too... so guys, is there a 3 gal reserve?

Sorry for the hijack!!
I'd say this is probably just about right. I come in around 290-300 a tank, I don't push it any farther than that b/c I don't think I have a light. If I do I've never seen it. I usually end up putting about 14-15 gallons in it.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 2.7 access cab, 5 spd, 4:30's, 4x4. Is it the fastest thing out there, no. Does it hey along just fine, yes. If the one you're looking at has 4:56's then it won't feel much less powerful than a v6 auto.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
blknblubkrdude is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
blknblubkrdude's Tacoma Gallery
If I hadn't found my 2.7 for so cheap, I definitely would have chose the V6. It's smoother, more powerful, more torque.
Although I did manage over 22MPG's on my last tank which included going over a mountain pass :-)
Base trim/2.7/5-spd./4wd only weighs in at 3580 with 1/4 tank :-)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
My 2.7 works well. But its super super slow and underpowered. The 4.56 gears don't help, maybe 4.99 would be better but I cant say for sure. Hard on gas too with the 285/75s and lift kit.

When I change my oil after 4-5k miles it still has a golden hue to it. Doesn't burn a drop, smoke, sputter or anything. Just slow.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
I definitely don't think my truck is underpowered. I'm also running 4.56 gears but with a 32x11.50x15 tire. Last year I ran 33" tire for a while and I thought my truck was a complete dog.
My previous truck was a ford ranger with a 4.0L engine and I think the 2.7L with 4.56 gears is quicker than my old ranger. It's really a tough little engine.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: miguel
aidenhardcore's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2004 2.7 and I love it to death. I think it has great power. I have the 4:56 gears and I do fine. Yes going up a hill you need to push down on the gas alittle more but I dont mind. I love the thing. I wouldnt tow a huge boat with it but I towed a trailer with my atv on it and it did just fine!!!. The only thing is the tires. Right now I have 31s load c bfg ats and they suck my mpg. I get sometimes 250 to 280 on a tank. There too heavy. I need to switch the tires to a p rated tire and my mpg will be back. But besides that i love it. I heard the v6 are noisy and need work. I have 77k on mine and no problems.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
... I meant 4.88 gears. iPhone typing is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco02 View Post
My previous truck was a ford ranger with a 4.0L engine and I think the 2.7L with 4.56 gears is quicker than my old ranger. It's really a tough little engine.
I had a 93 ranger 5-speed with the 4l v6 and I agree. That thing was slower, useless and harder on gas
Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 18 gallon tank. I have seen 19.5 mpg at 75 mph which puts me into the 350 range on the tank.

OP 4cyl sucks but unless you have a 2wd and want better mpg.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
2.7, 5spd, 4wd, access cab. I've seen 300 miles between fill-ups quite often. Filled up last night at 285 miles, needle wasn't bottomed out, but wasn't far off.

The 4cyl works fine for me. I got the taco bc I needed a truck for dirtbikes, hauling shiz, etc.... But wanted something that got good gas mileage. It's not the fastest accelerating truck, but can go 80mph on the interstate, slower up big hills of course. Gets around town fine too.
All three vehicles before this were V8s, so it's not an impossible change, just might take some getting used too.