Notices

Stepside, any disadvantage?

Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Taco Newb
SkyePN is on a distinguished road

SkyePN's Tacoma Gallery
Stepside, any disadvantage?

Hey guys & gals

Still looking for my Tacoma, there are a copule of 03 and 04s for sale around here and they are both stepside.

Are there any disadvantages to the stepside option? Does it change the size of the bed? Rust magnets? Is it going to be a PITA to find a canopy for it?

Thanks again...
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
I had step side f150 a few years back, and it was certainly much more difficult to find a used tool box/ cap. If buying new you should have no issue. Always had a secret little thing for stepside tacomas.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I had a stepside, the bed is a little skinnier than the fleet side. Also looking for a used canopy would be more difficult but I think the stepside looks better. Hardly see any stepside around here. Reg cab stepside 4x4 would be awesome.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
No no no no no no. Do NOT get a stepside Tacoma. I'm surprised everyone hasn't flooded this with the same sentiment already. Bed has less space, impossible to find anything to fit it unless you buy new, which will be expensive. They don't look good either.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
The novelty wears off in about 5 seconds.

I know a few guys on base with stepsides, and they've regretted it.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Personally not a fan of step side Tacoma's, I've seen a couple people on here make it look good but not my cup of tea, I wouldn't get one just because lack of bed space and it's hard to find shit that fits
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Not for everyone I guess. I'm thinking of getting something similar to this in the future.

Though I wouldn't mind a Chinook either.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I especially don't like the single cab step sides, here is one that is for sale locally near me

Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Señor Member

gotta be a prerunner or 4x4 with the last body style. I don't like the silver one above either though when and if I do decide to get a regular cab it would not matter if it's stepside or fleetside.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
To me it looks really ugly. like others have said, it's hard fo find stuff that fits like a tool box or camper shell. It also reduces your bed space.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post

Wait, there is still a wheelwell protrusion in the bed with the stepside? Why bother then?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Wait, there is still a wheelwell protrusion in the bed with the stepside? Why bother then?
This truck in particular also has the rare column shifter too

Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
DoyleMcpoyle is on a distinguished road

Name: Carlos
DoyleMcpoyle's Tacoma Gallery
I have one on my extended cab. Not really a fan of it.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
TooDrunkToTasteThisChicke n
TotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TotesMagotes's Tacoma Gallery
Based on your location, i wonder if we have been looking at the same ones...Lol.

In my opinion i think the step-sides aren't very useful, i mean sure it makes it easier to access whatever you got in the back from the side. But you sacrifice bed space. For an already small pick-up, i don't think that's a very wise idea.

Still undecided about how they look though. Some people love the look and some think it's ugly as hell.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotesMagotes View Post
Based on your location, i wonder if we have been looking at the same ones...Lol.

In my opinion i think the step-sides aren't very useful, i mean sure it makes it easier to access whatever you got in the back from the side. But you sacrifice bed space. For an already small pick-up, i don't think that's a very wise idea.

Still undecided about how they look though. Some people love the look and some think it's ugly as hell.
I actually really like step sides, just not on tacomas they didn't do well with it IMO
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I liked the Tundra stepside, but never cared for the Tacoma style.

I did like the old California Stepside conversions from the 70s and 80s.
Buddy had one on his '76 LUV (picture is a Toyota)

Old 06-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
Taco Newb
SkyePN is on a distinguished road

SkyePN's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input, now I'm really glad I asked first. I definitely want a canopy, for truck camping, and living in the city I need to keep sticky fingers off my stuff, so if I can't find a step side with a canopy already fitted I'll pass.