Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Radiator

Old 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 12 n msarng
Name: Matt
06texasedition's Tacoma Gallery
Radiator

Can anybody tell me if I need the 20 and 3/4 or 22 5/8 without me having to pull the radiator for a 97 v6 4wd
Old 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4x4 View Post
Can anybody tell me if I need the 20 and 3/4 or 22 5/8 without me having to pull the radiator for a 97 v6 4wd
When i replaced mine it was a 22 5/8 unit.. im a 95.5 so we could be the same..

The rad is for auto or manual transmissions..
Old 06-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa3303 View Post
When i replaced mine it was a 22 5/8 unit.. im a 95.5 so we could be the same..

The rad is for auto or manual transmissions..
I took it out n brought it to auto zone mine was 20 3/4 for manual
Old 06-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I took it out n brought it to auto zone mine was 20 3/4 for manual
Mine is a manual too why are there changes like that... humm..

Not unless a cold weather package is different... Mine has it on there...
Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa3303 View Post
Mine is a manual too why are there changes like that... humm..

Not unless a cold weather package is different... Mine has it on there...
Radiator for auto trans has extra space for internal trans cooler (in the bottom tank), manual trans does not and is shorter.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pool View Post
Radiator for auto trans has extra space for internal trans cooler (in the bottom tank), manual trans does not and is shorter.
When i think about that rad it did have ports on it but they where NEVER used blocked off... Maybe they ran out of rads for manuals when making mine and put a auto one in..
Old 06-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Mine had the tubes for auto they told me at autozone that they only make 1 for both auto and manual. We measured it at autozone and its working fine
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine had the tubes for auto they told me at autozone that they only make 1 for both auto and manual. We measured it at autozone and its working fine
It's Autozone that sells just one. There are 3 different size radiators for Tacomas depending if 2wd, auto or manual. All 3 can be had aftermarket. In the aftermarket world sometimes the 4wd units will interchange as a "bolt in" sometimes they will not. In some cases the fan shroud will not fit correctly but can be modified.

If one has a manual, the man trans radiator is desirable due to the significant approach angle possible. A front skid can then slant back directly from the front mount back instead of having the huge rock magnet of the OEM/Bud Built type front profile.
Some folks with autos have been known to swap in the shorter radiator and use a stand alone trans cooler just to get this benefit. Then there is the issue of the auto cooler tubes inside the radiator failing and potentially destroying the trans in the process.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
It's Autozone that sells just one. There are 3 different size radiators for Tacomas depending if 2wd, auto or manual. All 3 can be had aftermarket. In the aftermarket world sometimes the 4wd units will interchange as a "bolt in" sometimes they will not. In some cases the fan shroud will not fit correctly but can be modified.

If one has a manual, the man trans radiator is desirable due to the significant approach angle possible. A front skid can then slant back directly from the front mount back instead of having the huge rock magnet of the OEM/Bud Built type front profile.
Some folks with autos have been known to swap in the shorter radiator and use a stand alone trans cooler just to get this benefit. Then there is the issue of the auto cooler tubes inside the radiator failing and potentially destroying the trans in the process.
Yea I had to get a radiator ASAP and autozone had it so I got it. It's running fine drove 60 miles to work this morning wit no problem. As for skid plate I don't have one I lost em mud riding lol thanks for the info
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #10

I would have ordered from rock auto if I cld have waited