Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS Sensor Light

Old 06-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
bryan459 is on a distinguished road
bryan459's Tacoma Gallery
ABS Sensor Light

I'm almost ready to buy a 2004 prerunner sr5 6cyl.
Only thing I'm really aware of is the ABS light goes on and off.
Owner's mechanic and 2nd opinion tire shop say brakes are fine, can't explain light on/off behavior.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan459 View Post
I'm almost ready to buy a 2004 prerunner sr5 6cyl.
Only thing I'm really aware of is the ABS light goes on and off.
Owner's mechanic and 2nd opinion tire shop say brakes are fine, can't explain light on/off behavior.
Could be a sensor failure in one of your wheels...
Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa3303 View Post
Could be a sensor failure in one of your wheels...
is this a trial and error discovery process or is there an electronic means of diagnosis?

is this a red flag do not buy issue or a minor issue?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is this a trial and error discovery process or is there an electronic means of diagnosis?

is this a red flag do not buy issue or a minor issue?
The light indicates any kind of issue with the ABS. It could be a sensor, wiring problem, module problem, abs motor, or brake switch to name a few. You need to have the system scanned for codes to find out exactly what the issue is.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Brad H is on a distinguished road
Air Force: TSgt
Brad H's Tacoma Gallery
Check the simple things first. It could just buy low on brake fluid for various reasons.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here's a way to check it yourself. I've posted this in a couple of threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
You can check the codes your self. Run a jumper wire to these terminals. Count the blinks. Then you have your code(s). i.e. 5 blinks followed by 6 blinks would be code 56.

Here's the list of codes.

Good luck!!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post
Check the simple things first. It could just buy low on brake fluid for various reasons.
This is a good thing to check. But that would only turn on the red brake light. Not the ABS light.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Brad H is on a distinguished road
Air Force: TSgt
Brad H's Tacoma Gallery
Oh my mistake. Should've thought more before I posted haha
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
By on and off, do you mean it just kinda comes and goes? Or does it blink?

Having something plugged into the OBD-II port (like a scangauge) will put the ABS computer into some kind of test mode and cause the light to flash. Mine flashes and everything is in working order.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post

Having something plugged into the OBD-II port (like a scangauge) will put the ABS computer into some kind of test mode and cause the light to flash. Mine flashes and everything is in working order.
Yup. UltraGuages do that as well. Mine does it randomly.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a scangauge, just a bluetooth dongle to link up with my phone. But yeah anything that is plugged into the port will cause it.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it pretty much everytime I hit about 60mph...Never seems to come on at low speeds, but as soon as I hit the highway on it goes. Turn the truck off and on and it's off again. Mine seems like it just needs some electrical cleaner, but I'm not really sweating it..
Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post

More like sometimes it's on, sometimes it's not. Not blinking.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Quote:
More like sometimes it's on, sometimes it's not. Not blinking.
Sounds like an intermittent fault, every time you cycle the key the system checks itself. If no faults present the light stays off, if something wrongit turns light on. The fact this is happening while driving leads me to believe there could be a short in the many looms of wiring or maybe even a bad abs computer. Definitely should have it looked at and diagnosed before purchasing the truck.