Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need new grille recommendations

Old 06-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Need new grille recommendations

OK, so as usual there has been a chain-reaction of thinking concerning the Tacoma from cheaper to expensive. I need new grille clips but instead of dropping $25 on those I figured well I might as well get a new grille for about $60 shipped since mine is old and peeling. And then I thought hell maybe I should get a cooler grille, mesh or billet style or something. Hmmmm...

I am looking for something on the cheaper and/or easier side. My truck is beat up and lacks polish, so I certainly don't need derpa bling. Ideally I'd like a raw grille that's different from stock that I can install with minimum fuss in the $100-$125 range. I'll probably end up spraying black Rustoleum Satin on whatever I end up getting since that's what most of the stuff on the truck is painted.

Does anyone have any ideas, tips, wise words, suggestions, etc on what to get? Any secret cool deals or experience with a certain make/vendor?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Come on TW, help a brutha out
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Satoshi a cheapo grill from rockauto/etc? IIRC there's a 5% off for rockauto floating around somewhere. I used the heavier wire mesh from home depot. Cost $8 for a giant sheet. I already had spray paint, so it was all pretty cheap. I think it turned out nice. Alternatively, buy fancy mesh from homertaco.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Not too familiar with Satoshi style... I know you have to cut stuff out, do you have to bondo/fiberglass holes? I don't suppose you know of any good 1st gen Satoshi links?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't bondo anything. You can either do a "thin-lip" version where you cut in so that the mesh isn't recessed as far or bend the mesh to fit in the grill instead of being flush at the edge of the grill. Or bondo/fiberglass the gaps and have the mesh further back. Kind of hard to explain.

Here's for 01-04 style:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...lots-pics.html

Not sure if there's a writeup for 99/00 styling.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #6

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good write-up but I don't see myself doing all that... my front bumper is pretty tweaked up so I'm not looking for a super clean look, just maybe something a little different from stock. I'll do some more google-fu and see if I can come up with a decent non-OEM looking grille that I can spray and slap in for less than $100.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoterdude View Post
If you need a cheap grille man this place has them. I got a black one from them and its very nice quality!

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html
Thanks for the link, might have to order one if I mess up my Satoshi
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoterdude View Post
No problem man. Yeah, those grilles are super cheap and they even have a stock grill for $20! I went black though...
Is it on the truck in your avatar?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
YotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
YotatechMatt's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure what brand it was but there's a Tacoma that came in to work with a black FJ Cruiser Toyota logo lookalike grill with 2 KC Driving lamps (wired in conjunction with the high beams) hidden behind the grill. It did look slick, and talk about a surprise when the high beams were turned on!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #15

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about one of those billet grille inserts for like $50-$60. I'm not sure how they plug in or how good they are.