Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Change

Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
NOLA ItsNotOva is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Change

Hi! I'm new here and this is my first car. I have a 2001 Tacoma PreRunner 2wd with the 3.4L V6. I dont know when the previous owner changed the engine oil, so I was planning to do it myself. How many quarts of oil does it take? I bought a 5qt container of Mobil 1 High Mileage and I was wondering if that is all that I need or do I need more?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
the 3.4L take 5.5 quarts.

a write up if you need it
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nge-guide.html
Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
NOLA ItsNotOva is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Question. Do I lubricate the oil filter with the same oil I'm putting into the engine?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
Thanks! Question. Do I lubricate the oil filter with the same oil I'm putting into the engine?
yessir
Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
IFS is the new solid axle
mrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
mrbeggins's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how hard the previous owner or lube centre put the filter on, you will probably need a filter wrench to get it off. There in a real pickle of a spot. Most accessible through the drivers side wheel well.

Just a heads up!!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's krazie...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 has a spectacular aura aboutARB1977 has a spectacular aura about

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
Unless you want an oily mess while installing the new filter. Lubricate the gasket and call it good. 10 years of oil changes and no issues.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeggins View Post
Depending on how hard the previous owner or lube centre put the filter on, you will probably need a filter wrench to get it off. There in a real pickle of a spot. Most accessible through the drivers side wheel well.

Just a heads up!!
oh god. that's the truth. the dealer where i bought mine cranked that fucker down.