1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scangauge or Ultragauge incompatibilities?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by gshephard, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    gshephard

gshephard [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 2.7L 4WD
    K&N Intake
    I'm considering purchasing a scangauge or an ultragauge. The Ultragauge website said that some vehicles have incompatibilities with the UG. My vehicle, 2001 Taco 2.7L, 4WD is listed as one of them. The website says that by disconnecting a couple of pins in the ODBII cable, the problem is solved.

Has anyone encountered this, does Scangauge have the same problem or is it a turnkey solution?

The symptom listed on the UG website is that UG turns off the ABS system causing the error light to turn on unless a couple pins are disconnected.

I'd appreciate any help. The UG price is below the level of interest of my wife but the scangauge is above it.

2. Jun 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    bellassaiw10

bellassaiw10 Formally afroman5015

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    There multiple threads on this.... But I do know the UG does have to have the pins removed for the 01-04s But members on here have done it and been satisfied. I do not have ABS but love my UG

3. Jun 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    Taylor

Taylor Check out NASA Spec3!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vienna, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    NASA Spec3 RaceCar
    What doesn't work? I got my UG today and the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the fuel sender.

4. Jun 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    TacoSkeet

TacoSkeet 'MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 DC Tacoma
    If you have ABS and you dont modify the UG, then it will flash the "ABS" light.

All you do is pop a red wire out of the OBDI and you're set

5. Jun 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    Taylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vienna, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    NASA Spec3 RaceCar
    Hmm... interesting. I guess I haven't driven enough to get it. I drove to the gas station and back and didn't notice my ABS light.

Is it just the light that goes off? I think I could deal with that.

6. Jun 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    The light flashing indicates ABS is in a diagnostic mode that DISABLES it until you shut the truck off, disconnect the UG, start the truck, and re-connect the UG.

FWIW, I have NOT disconnected any pins and I rarely have this problem. It seems to occur only when the truck is slow to start (i.e., a few extra cranks with the starter). When it starts normally, I have NO problems with UG/ABS compatibility. (I realize this sounds strange, but it's been my experience since I installed the UG over a year ago.)

7. Jun 4, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I'm quite sure that it in no way effects the ABS system. It just puts it into a diagnostic mode and flashes the ABS light intermittently (although I have yet to figure out exactly what causes it to flash, it seems to be random as long as something is plugged into the OBD port). My ABS system still functions perfectly normally with the light flashing and the flashing doesn't really bother me so I've left it alone

8. Jun 4, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    Taylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vienna, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    NASA Spec3 RaceCar
    I think I'll leave it. Does anyone have a link to the port mod just in case?

9. Jun 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    I used to own both but sold the UltraGuage (UG) and kept the ScanGuage (SG) ONLY because the UG does not support the monitoring of transmission temperature, the SG WILL read trans temp using the X-gauge feature (your SG needs to have the latest firmware to program trans temp in) and must be a later model 1st gen when toyota began offering it via ODBII. If UG ever updates their firmware to monitor transmission temp I will switch over. I LOVE the alarm alerts on the UG and it has a very accurate DTE (distance till empty) feature that I miss using and that the SG lacks.

The ScanGauge (SG) DOES trigger the ABS indicator to blink as well, same symptom as the UltraGauge (UG). I spoke with the SG folks and they sent me a modified cable (they call it an ISO cable) that fixes the ABS blinking problem. With some social engineering skills (being nice and honest with them) they sent me a modified cable free of charge and it fixed the problem. They also let me keep my original SG cable which I have plugged in my other vehicle that doesn't have this problem. It's nice to be able to unplug the SG over to another vehicle (not fixed like the UG). The scangauge folks are top notch with their customer service! Can't tell you much about the UG folks as they make you jump hoops with rebates and a crazy web supported CS system. The modified cable is simply a scangauge ODBII cable with a couple of missing pins. From what I was told, and to somewhat reiterate Mowtaco's earlier post, the missing pins (modified cable) are what trigger the diagnostics testing in the system causing the ABS indicator issue with the later 1st gen tacos.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  10. Jun 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    I think TimmyB already posted the solution on this thread.

ProForce also has a good writeup from the group buy thread: HERE

11. Jun 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Taylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vienna, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    NASA Spec3 RaceCar
    Whoops, my bad, I didn't see that. Thanks!

12. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Definitely NOT my experience. In fact, I used the ABS-disabling behavior when teach my 15 year old son how ABS works a few months ago. When not flashing ABS engaged properly when triggered. When flashing, ABS did NOT engage. Also, there's nothing "random" about how mine flashes. When this happens, it flashes rapidly/steadily/constantly until reset as I described above.

13. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    lol wut ? I have distance to empty on all three SG I have...

you just send a tank gauge to x-gauge and bam, distance to empty
    ---------------------
    operate sg same as usual, just

a) fill to first click
    and
    b) enter amount pumped in fillup setting

14. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    Sorry about that, bad wording on my part, so let me clarify the part about DTE to avoid any confusion:

The SG can do DTE but it is not as accurate as the UG. The SG only allows you to program your tank size in whole #'s. For example, you can only enter 18 on the SG but with the UG you can be more precise and enter 18.5

15. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    well, with any gauge I would want to round down
    to the nearest whole number,

I'd rather have more gas in the tub than scangauge knows about honestly

16. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Odd. My flashing comes and goes. And if I remember correctly the instant ABS is needed the flashing will turn off while the system is active. BUT I don't have a scangauge/ultragauge I just have a bluetooth dongle plugged into it that broadcasts to my phone (the Torque app for $5 is way better than any OBD-II gauge I've ever seen)

17. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    see, this is where I will always disagree. but I am an old codger
    when it comes to personal tech devices....

I am a techie and do tech stuff as a job, way beyond most...bleeding
    edge cyberpolice stuff (LOL :D )...and I guess I could take my job home
    with me with an Android...but when I clock out at 5, I am done with
    tech, and I'd rather grab a wheelbarrow and prybar and move rocks
    or ride mountain bikes when not at work....

anywho...I will never suck the phone provider corporate teat for a smartphone
    until the bandwidth goes up and the costs down, as in EU

---
    so, for now, I have a old-school cell phone and it costs me 20 bucks a month.

hence, I have to use dedicated OBDII tools....

but I also have tons of money saved because I don't have a smartphone
    bill....I truly believe it is the biggest waste of money on the planet, fees for
    smartphones...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  18. Aug 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

How much did the modified cable run you? I plugged my scanguage II into my 2013 a few days ago and every since my VSC and traction control lights on the dash have been going crazy. I unplugged it and all was fine again.

19. Aug 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    The SG folks sent me a modified cable for free after explaining to them my problem. Follow the golden rule while dealing with them and they should treat you the same. Their customer service was superb.

20. Aug 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Awesome, I'll give them a call. Thanks a lot for the quick response and help :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top