Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission Flush or Drain & Fill?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Flush or Drain & Fill?

1998 4x4, 5-speed manual, 167,000 miles

After reading many posts/threads about this on TW I came to the conclusion that a flush on my transmission with this many miles would not be a good thing.... I should just simply do a drain and fill on it.

However I came across this article/blog/post and am now asking for more opinions:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/TransFlush.htm

Quote:
If you decide to change the fluid like you should, you cannot get all the fluid out by draining the pan. When you drain the pan through the drain plug you will only drain about 3 of the 15 total quarts. That is not much of a fluid change at all. Most of the fluid is inside the torque converter, transmission cooler and the cooler lines. Some vehicles like Mercedes have a drain plug on the torque converter so it can be drained, but not on our Toyotas. There is only one way to get all the fluid out of the transmission so you can replace it with new fluid. That is to flush it.

There seems to be as much bad info out there about transmission flushes as there is about synthetic motor oil. The number of professional mechanics that claim that a flush will blow out the seals and cause damage to the transmission dumbfounds me. Those poor people are suffering from invincible ignorance and refuse to understand the benefit of a proper transmission flush.

Here is the BIG secret about transmission flush machines. They do not use pressure at all. They use the transmissions own pump to move in the new fluid that displaces the old fluid and the old fluid is collected and thrown away. There are two basic types of flush machines and here is how they work and the differences in the two.
(S)he then goes on to talk about cooler line flushes vs pump inlet flushes, if you click on the link you'll see the post.

(S)he then also talks about when not to flush, eg when your tranny fluid is rancid, burnt and shot...

Since I don't believe everything I read on the internet I want to ask this question on the internet so I can read the answers:

Should I just drain and fill or get the transmission flushed? As far as I know my transmission fluid looks fine. It's just been a while since anything has been done to the fluid.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Flush it + new filter( mostly to see condition), then just drain and fill after that.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
What you read is pretty spot-on. When done properly, a flush is the correct way to service your transmission. Of course like the article states, if the fluid is already burnt, then you are not going to do any good, because burnt fluid is a sign of a transmission that is already on the way out due to slipping clutches.

I agree mostly with SDSam in that at your mileage you should flush it, then replace the filter, and do regular service intervals after that.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay, I must be "special"

I'm assuming that guy's article is about automatic transmissions, no?

Does my manual transmission have any of that stuff or is it just a gear box full of 3 quarts of fluid?

I don't know wtf is going on here because the FSM only speaks to auto trannies.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
OP if you have a 5 speed manual this does not apply to you. You do not have a torque converter or cooler lines or a transmission fluid pump. On a manual you have 2 plugs like on the rear diff. One for filling one for draining. Instead of a torque converter you have a clutch in its place. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, his article would be about automatic transmissions. If you have a manual then they are usually not serviced as long as there is no leak for around 100k miles. While Toyota and other manufacturers talk about not having to service a manual at all, I find that over time wear occurs significantly enough after 100k miles that it would not hurt to drain the gear oil and refill with fresh oil.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
OP if you have a 5 speed manual this does not apply to you. You do not have a torque converter or cooler lines or a transmission fluid pump. On a manual you have 2 plugs like on the rear diff. One for filling one for draining. Instead of a torque converter you have a clutch in its place. Hope this helps a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Yes, his article would be about automatic transmissions. If you have a manual then they are usually not serviced as long as there is no leak for around 100k miles. While Toyota and other manufacturers talk about not having to service a manual at all, I find that over time wear occurs significantly enough after 100k miles that it would not hurt to drain the gear oil and refill with fresh oil.
Thanks guys.

I'm going to switch to full synthetics and do a transmission drain and fill and both differentials.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
your 4x4 transfer case houses its own fluid so you can change it as well.
quit confusing us
Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
your 4x4 transfer case houses its own fluid so you can change it as well.
quit confusing us
I gave the specs of my truck in the first sentence

Will do the transfer case as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Mr.Jack is on a distinguished road
Mr.Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Thanks guys.

I'm going to switch to full synthetics and do a transmission drain and fill and both differentials.
Let us know what oil you use, price and place of purchase. I did mine using Valvoline 75w90 because I couldn't justify 20$ a quart of RP. Also Mobil1 was 12$ a quart at advanceauto and technically isn't a true synthetic since it's base stock isn't synthetic.