1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear differential lock...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sull625, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jun 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    ToyTacosRule

ToyTacosRule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    What is the max speed that can be hit before it cannot be engaged? also does the truck have to be stopped to engage it with this mod? I have rear dif lock on my truck but I have never had to use it in the sands at the beach nor any mud holes I have hit and never really bothered with it since it was a hassal to mess with 4 lo haha.

2. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    I think I read somewhere that it was 5mph. I personally experienced the locker indicator blinking differently if you are going too fast and read that eventually the system will engage once you slow down. Remember that blinking = unlocked , solid = locked.

I personally wouldn't recommend that you try engaging the locker past 1-2mph if you don't need to but that's just using my common sense rule.

3. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    ToyTacosRule

ToyTacosRule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Right, just was wondering incase I did do this mod, I highly doubt I would accidently hit that button but just curious as to was the highest it would engage at, just incase. Thanks for the info, this mod sounds like a good idea incase I ever need it.

4. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    The problem with your statement is driving the "S" pattern is to ENGAGE the locker, not to drive like that when it IS engaged, no one was suggesting otherwise & there has only been 1 or 2 times i can remember when engaging it from a dead stop, every other time it was engaged driving slowly,turning gently from left to right.. I don't know how turning front wheels from left to right from a stand still is helping the diff engage seeing how its not moving to allow lining up & locking , & I use mine often...

& no reason for name calling FWIW

I agree Grey wire MOD is the single best MOD you can do, & very easy

5. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    Yeah keep her under 5. But I've engaged at 10 and turning cuz these lockers are picky when they engage so I had to get the differential lined up. As long as your not on pavement your pretty set. Any grip the tires put down can slip on dirt so you're not tearing up the locked differential. But don't go fast. Go do it you wont like the feeling

6. Jun 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    use it or lose it is proven on the e-locker and e-brake

e-locker needs some use to engage quicker, man my 4runner was
    so hard to get e-locker to go it and out, and when it did, KLANGGGGgggGG

now after about 144 'I really need to use the locker' situations, it goes
    in ultra smooth and very fast...almost instantly all the time now

e-brake needs some use or the bellcranks seize from lack of use
    and any water that gets in

7. Jun 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Op obviously does not have much experience with the diff lock, nor 4lo even as he states which is ok. I was just making sure he doesn't drive a big s pattern because diff locked or not it's not a good idea when in 4lo. No reason for name calling is right.

8. Jun 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    I'm sorry, but I'm failing to see where it is a bad idea. It's understood that locked, you are obviously going to have some binding in the rear diff because the axles are locked together, though its still not enough to break an axle or blow the diff the first time you do it. But 4low isn't going to make something bind more than 4high, it's just different gearing. And for the rear 4high is no different than 2high. If you are saying that because of the higher torque from the lower gearing, that's understood also. But you shouldn't have anything binding at all, especially unlocked. You should be able to turn your wheel as far as it will go and move without breaking. Now if you bind a wheel up with the wheel turned all of the way then, yea, you have a higher chance of breaking because the cv is weakest when it is angled which is why it is not the greatest idea to lock the front of these trucks. But on flat ground and open diff their should be no problem at all. I'm not trying to start an argument, just wanting to see if you know something that I don't.

9. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    so you are saying that i can go to my truck, put it in 4wd low or high, crank the wheel all the way to the left and drive in circles as tight as possible in my driveway with nothing to worry about? my bad guess i was mis-informed.

10. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    Southern01Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Yep. That's exactly what I'm saying. As long as you don't mat it like you were trying to cut donuts or something. Why would toyota design the steering to go farther than the cv's will allow? Plus, unless the truck has manual hubs, the axles are always turning. So if the cv's are, in fact, binding while you are turning then they should break in 2wd. Now if you have a locker up front then that is a completely different story.

11. Jun 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    well then i retract everything i said in this thread. curious why there are a million threads on this site telling you not to do that.

12. Jun 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Southern01Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Well because the majority of the people on this website go off of what the book says or what other people say rather than finding out through experience. And I understand, because a lot of people play it safe because they can't afford to fix it or dont know how to fix it when it breaks. I'm just simply stating that this forum, in particular, is more of the middle man between customtacos, (which is more hardcore 2wd trucks) and ttora (which has more hardcore wheelers). I look at this site as a good place to go if you are new to tacoma's and 4wd's and need fairly general questions answered. When you start getting more technical a lot of people just go off of what the manual says, which is definitely the safest route.

13. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    LOLOLOCaust

failpost ^^^^

the cv's won't bind

but the transfer case will receive an unholy load
    and if you continue this it will bust open someday. FAIL

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  14. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    Southern01Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Why is it any different than running it offroad? That doesn't make any sense. That is like saying that you are going to blow the transmission on a 2wd by turning on asphalt. You should not have any type of feedback into the t-case from the ground. If that was the case, you would blow the diff or u-joint or break the output shaft on the t-case way before you blow up the inside of the t-case. But that's just not possible, an open diff is exactly that, it allows the outside wheel to turn faster than the inside, taking all of the stress off of the driveline.

15. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    LOL there is so much fail in this thread!

First off, if you like you truck switch the locker on and off when the truck is stopped, then move to engage it. You can run it as fast as you want with it locked, just dont expect the collar to match up smoothly going over 5mph. there will be some scary noises coming from back there.

Second, the binding in your truck is between the front and rear drive shafts because when you are in 4hi or lo your t case is essentially "locked" to spin them at the same speed. The pressure from binding is released with tire slip in low traction situations. So if you must drive in a figure 8 or s turns do it in a dirt lot. Even in very low traction situations like snow the front will still bind when you turn (pretty sure this is due to hard cv steering angles), so when you are doing this when you feel the front bind back off a bit and vwala, no more bind. However if it takes you more than one figure 8 motion to get it to engage or disengage there is probably a problem with the locker.

when you are using the cv axles to propel the vehicle in 4wd there is power going through those axles. when the steering angle is tight enough that power will bind that joint. The cv axles can only turn so far before they start to protest under load

16. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    This.

Putting it in 4WD and putting it into a tight turn on pavement won't affect the CVs if you have an open diff. It'll put a lot of torque on moving parts in the transfer case since the front wheels are taking a path that is different length than the rear wheels are taking.

The transfer case does not work like an open differential. It drives front and rear the same with the expectation that the tires are on a slippery enough surface to need 4WD.

17. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    this is where the grey area starts...from experience it seems that the truck binds in two places, the front and rear drive shafts and the cv axles. in multiple trucks maneuvering around a snow covered ski hill parking lot if you turn sharp enough you can feel the bind in the steering wheel, so you back off. This does not happen the same in 2wd, so i can only assume when the cv axles are trying to pull the truck they reach a point where the joints bind under load, as i said more generally just now.

18. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    I haven't experienced the steering feel you speak of. I have only felt the truck lurching as if one end is attempting to travel farther than the other, kind of like plate tectonics and land buckling.

Backing off of the steering would also have the affect of the front end traveling a path length closer to that of the rear, releasing the binding in the transfer case.

Either way, I think we're all in agreement that running tight turns in 4WD on dry pavement is bad.

19. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    Southern01Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5

First of all, thank you guys for giving logical answers that actually makes sense.

I guess you're right. I didn't think of the front wheels turning at different speeds than the rear. Now that I think about it, that's why there are clutches in the center diffs of AWD cars. I still don't see where there is enough binding to hurt anything. I mean, I'm not saying, you can go out and drive it on the highway but simply making a s or 2 in order to lock the diff shouldn't hurt anything. Also, now that I think about that, who the hell is locking it in 4wd and locking the diff on dry pavement in the first place.

20. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    I'm seriously considering dropping my rear driveshaft, throw it in 4WD and a tight turn and see what happens.

Products Discussed in

To Top