Notices

Rear differential lock...

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
sull625 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Dave
sull625's Tacoma Gallery
Rear differential lock...

I have an 04 Tacoma and when I try to lock the rear differential and the light just blinks. I'm not sure if its locking but I can hit the button and it will blink and hit it again and the light will go off. Is this a major issue? Any insight into this is greatly appreciated
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Probably just needs to be taken off and cleaned, when I lock mine you can here the gear engage and of course feel it when you turn on the road. Have you tried driving in an S pattern to engage it ?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Dear god don't drive in a s pattern.

If the light is blinking it means it is not engaged.

First of all, you are in 4low right?

Second, if it won't engage try turning the steering wheel to the left and right while not moving. You can also try driving forward and reverse in a straight line. Sometimes it needs a little help aligning
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post

This. The e-locker won't engage unless you're in 4-low or have done the gray wire mod.

If you aren't in 4-low or haven't done the gray wire mod, the light on the dash will blink at you like an angry Hulk.

As mentioned, if you are in 4-lo or have the gray wire mod, drive forward or backward in a straight line for 20-30 feet and see if it engages. If it doesn't something deeper is going wrong.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

Law Enforcement:
sull625's Tacoma Gallery
Wow so I feel like an idiot but putting it into 4lo and engaging diff lock worked just fine. Thanks for all the help fellas. I'm pretty happy that there are resources out there to help with this kind of thing. ( I almost had a melt down thinking something was wrong) once again thank you!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dear god don't drive in a s pattern.

If the light is blinking it means it is not engaged.

Second, if it won't engage try turning the steering wheel to the left and right while not moving. You can also try driving forward and reverse in a straight line. Sometimes it needs a little help aligning
that is completely retarded! how is turning the steering wheel to the left and right while NOT moving going to get it to lock? Are you afraid that turning to the left or right with it locked for a short time is going to explode it? Guess what, it isnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sull625 View Post
Wow so I feel like an idiot but putting it into 4lo and engaging diff lock worked just fine. Thanks for all the help fellas. I'm pretty happy that there are resources out there to help with this kind of thing. ( I almost had a melt down thinking something was wrong) once again thank you!
glad to hear it works fine! If it is having problems disengaging i found the best way was to disengage it was to be stopped, hit the button, turn the wheel sharply and reverse with a little tap on the pedal until you hear it click or the light turn off.

you can also complete the grey wire mod so you can turn it on and off whenever, not needing it to be in 4lo. this making it a true select-able locker
Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

Law Enforcement:
sull625's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to do the gray wire mod. Do you have the info on doing this?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
that is completely retarded! how is turning the steering wheel to the left and right while NOT moving going to get it to lock? Are you afraid that turning to the left or right with it locked for a short time is going to explode it? Guess what, it isnt.

glad to hear it works fine! If it is having problems disengaging i found the best way was to disengage it was to be stopped, hit the button, turn the wheel sharply and reverse with a little tap on the pedal until you hear it click or the light turn off.

you can also complete the grey wire mod so you can turn it on and off whenever, not needing it to be in 4lo. this making it a true select-able locker
You are a fool. Driving in an s pattern in 4lo with the diff locked, especially on hard terrain, is asking for damage. Go ahead and try it. In fact make a video and report back here.

As far as turning the wheels without moving, it shimmy the rear end and twists it just enough to engage the locker. Once again go try it.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree, but to an extent. I doubt it would hurt anything if you're just wiggling your steering wheel just a little while moving to get it to engage. It doesn't make sense that you can lock when you are not moving. I think what the guy was trying to state is you should not drive in S patterns ...you will most likely damage your diff in the long run.

OP: As you use the locker more often, you may notice that the system will engage quicker. That's been my experience. Reiterating what IDtruck has already stated, It helps to do the gray wire mod so you don't have to go to 4low in order to lock the rear diff, I highly recommend this mod as it still retains the safety of not allowing the locking at high speeds.

Overall, in regards to our 1st gen factory lockers, the rule everyone should follow is "use it or lose it".
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just don't accidentally hit that little button while driving on the highway...
Actually you can hit the button and nothing will happen, the safety feature is still there, that's one of the beauties of the mod, it's idiot proof.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #13

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are a fool. Driving in an s pattern in 4lo with the diff locked, especially on hard terrain, is asking for damage. Go ahead and try it. In fact make a video and report back here.

As far as turning the wheels without moving, it shimmy the rear end and twists it just enough to engage the locker. Once again go try it.
Wow, calm down folks... lol, I believe you are both correct...I just think there was just a little bit of misunderstanding between the both of you.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

LOL! If the front tires turn while standing still it will shimmy the rear enough to some how engage and disengage? Still a stupid idea. I will say it again, you have to be moving for it to disengage and engage. Simple as that. If you have not done the grey wire mod and you have to be in 4lo to do this you are probably right, driving in tight s turns is going to bind like a bitch. Hence why the grey wire mod is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post
I agree, but to an extent. I doubt it would hurt anything if you're just wiggling your steering wheel just a little while moving to get it to engage. It doesn't make sense that you can lock when you are not moving. I think what the guy was trying to state is you should not drive in S patterns ...you will most likely damage your diff in the long run.

OP: As you use the locker more often, you may notice that the system will engage quicker. That's been my experience. Reiterating what IDtruck has already stated, It helps to do the gray wire mod so you don't have to go to 4low in order to lock the rear diff, I highly recommend this mod as it still retains the safety of not allowing the locking at high speeds.

Overall, in regards to our 1st gen factory lockers, the rule everyone should follow is "use it or lose it".
true. like i said earlier, best way to get to lock or unlock is to turn the wheels sharply, while stopped hit the button, and give it a quick little step on the gas. click.

Quote:
Actually you can hit the button and nothing will happen, the safety feature is still there, that's one of the beauties of the mod, it's idiot proof.
oh haha, my bad. mine is on a standalone circuit, so no ecu for me. If i hit that button the bitch locks. I have to make sure to tell anyone who drives my truck not to touch that button ever, but then they will want to, so i seriously consider pulling the power to the switch to keep idiots from hitting it, never know.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
I can lock mine in in 4H so sorry about the S turn comment haha
Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Sheesh. Dudes need to chill. If it won't engage and you are in 4 low, it means the pin isn't lined up with the diff, and the rear wheels need to move at very slightly different rates to get it to line up and lock in. This is normal. And by S turns, no one is suggesting huge sweeping S turns. Just a tiny bit of steering wheel input at a crawl is enough to move the diff so that the locker can engage. This is normal.

This is not like have 4WD on and turning that binds up the front diff on pavement.

OP, just go find a flat dirt patch or parking lot and do it several times to get the feel of it. You'll feel/hear the clunk.

You also need to use it or lose it with these things. They are sort of notorious for corroding or seizing if not operated.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
The "use it or lose it" comments made me go out and engage and disengage the diff lock. The fist time it was deffinately harder to get engaged but i the more i locked and unlocked the easier it went in. This is gonna be part of my weekly routine now (the only time i used it was to check after i did the grey wire mod)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #18

gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL! If the front tires turn while standing still it will shimmy the rear enough to some how engage and disengage? Still a stupid idea. I will say it again, you have to be moving for it to disengage and engage. Simple as that. If you have not done the grey wire mod and you have to be in 4lo to do this you are probably right, driving in tight s turns is going to bind like a bitch. Hence why the grey wire mod is a good idea.

true. like i said earlier, best way to get to lock or unlock is to turn the wheels sharply, while stopped hit the button, and give it a quick little step on the gas. click.

oh haha, my bad. mine is on a standalone circuit, so no ecu for me. If i hit that button the bitch locks. I have to make sure to tell anyone who drives my truck not to touch that button ever, but then they will want to, so i seriously consider pulling the power to the switch to keep idiots from hitting it, never know.
All you have to do is try it friend, I just did it at lunch and it worked perfectly, once again
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OP: As you use the locker more often, you may notice that the system will engage quicker. That's been my experience.
Yup. Mine was a bitch when i brought the truck last year. Few trips to BLM and Hollister Hills and it works great now.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The grey wire mod is one of the greatest things I've done to my truck and it makes it even better that it doesn't cost anything.

I always lock and sometimes unlock my by driving in an s pattern. It won't hurt anything. Hell I drive on the highway with mine locked sometimes just because I was using it and forgot to turn it off. Of course, I turn it off as soon as I come to a stop just because it will make the rear tires wear more. I know countless people who either run spool lockers or welded diffs on their daily and never have a problem. They just don't act stupid, like mashing the gas while turning.