1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird front end shimmy at higher speeds

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Scubasteve1591, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jun 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    Scubasteve1591

Scubasteve1591 [OP] New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Leer fitted camper shell
    Hey there everyone! I'm a new member with a new (to me) Tacoma. I have noticed a front-end shimmy starting at about 68-70 mph and continuing at higher speeds. I just had the tires balanced. I notice a slight pull to the right, so I'm having an alignment done. Can an alignment issue cause the shimmy? Should I be concerned with any known front end bugs for this model year? The truck is stock-no mods. Thanks in advance for any answers!

2. Jun 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You're doing the right thing by getting an alignment.

It's the process of troubleshooting & process of elimination.

The only thing I can think of ...is to check your tire pressure. Make sure all tires have same pressures.

It could be other things... An allignment is the first and most obvious (at this point) on your TO DO list.

Good Luck and report back.....

3. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    Scubasteve1591

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Leer fitted camper shell
    Janster, thanks. I hope the alignment settles things. I will let you know...

4. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Tire pressure has a huge effect on pulling to the right/left especially when braking. An alignment may fix it but be sure your tires are at equal pressure like was already mentioned.

5. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM
    99nmtaco

99nmtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    NM / VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 4 Runner
    ADS racing shocks ext travel front, ADS FJC piggyback shocks rear, Addicted Offroad front plate bumper, 4xinnovations rock sliders and rear plate bumper, SCS Stealth 6s
    Maybe a bad wheel bearing? I know I had an issue with mine recently that caused my truck to wobble at hwy speeds but never noticed it just driving around in the city.

6. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Check your tie rod ends too. Mine wandered all over the place at higher speeds. When I had an alignment I had them replace the inner/outer tie rod ends on my driver side and it cured it almost completely. I also had my rack bushings changed at the same time so that may have had a little to do with it as well.

7. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    Scubasteve1591

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Leer fitted camper shell
    Hey there 99nmtaco-- The previous owner lived in the mountains and really rode the brakes. My first order of business was to change the front pads and rotors. The rotors were warped and heat-blued, and three out of four of the pads were cracked from heat. So the wheel bearings were just repacked--but a good thought.

FFirg--when I had the brakes done, they did a thorough inspection of the front end and said it was tight. What should I be looking for in case they missed something? What should I be asking them to check?

Thanks everyone for your replies...

8. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    What type of tires, what size, and how worn? Any uneven wear between tires, or especially across a tire's tread (uneven wear from previous misalignment)? This could cause shimmy or pull.

Even if a shop says they balanced wheels, they don't always get it right. Also, if you have the stock TRD aluminum wheels, they are sort of notorious for being difficult to balance, and there is a special tool out there to help, but a good tech at a good shop should be able to get a good dynamic balance without it.

Oh, and welcome!

9. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    SteveT

SteveT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Clarksville TN
    Vehicle:
    4x4/TRD
    had the same thing but up around 50-70 mph. initally thought alignment and rotors as well, checked everything and found my right front strut was blown/wasted (small fluid puddle under control arm and a lot on the strut itself). haven't gotten around to replacing it yet but since everything else checks out that has to be the culprit.

10. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Interesting. Yeah, if that wheel is jumping up and down, that would amount to a lot of time not having full pavement contact and keeping the truck going straight.

11. Jun 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    Scubasteve1591

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Leer fitted camper shell
    Thanks all. Problem solved. 4 new tires (had tread separation on the front right) and an alignment, and it has a super smooth ride. Thanks for all the feedback!

Products Discussed in

To Top