Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A couple of pics: Bushwacker cut outs w/pinch weld vs. stock

Old 06-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
A couple of pics: Bushwacker cut outs w/pinch weld vs. stock

I'm in the middle of installing the BWs and have one side done. It's a pretty long install, but so far I haven't run into any problems other than a couple of the chrome torx screws being a hair too short.

These are the cut-outs, and I did the pinch weld mod too since it's part of the install anyway. My tires are 33x10.5x16 on the stock rims, with a 3" lift. Quite a big difference in tire clearance, and it finally doesn't rub at full lock. A good bit of work but IMO worth it.

Stock:

Bushwackers:

Stock:

Bushwackers:

Stock:

Bushwackers:
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you gained some good clearance towards the back of the truck. Besides the pinch weld mod, is there anything that these flares do differently than stock?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Looks like you gained some good clearance towards the back of the truck. Besides the pinch weld mod, is there anything that these flares do differently than stock?
Yeah, these are the cut-outs, so you have to hack your panels up to get them on. I chopped about an inch off of the front one (towards the door) and about 1.5" on both sides of the back.

Here's the cut line for the front:

Plus copious amounts of priming and grinding (all of the primed area is under the flare)

And here's the cut line for the back. You cut about this much on both sides in the rear, I just didn't get a pic of it.

Post cut:

And after priming and grinding it all down. (The blue tape in this pic is just so that I don't get overspray on the paint. I just masked it and stuck a piece of cardboard down at the edge.)

I used a cut wheel off of my compressor to do the actual cutting - a sawsall would bounce too much and risk bending the hell out of the panel. It took a bit longer but the lines were nice and straight. Then I went OCD on the thing and laid about 10 coats of primer, two coats of rust sealer, black enamel on top of that and then some rust proofing clear. My truck's no beauty queen but there's no way in hell these edges will ever rust out.

It's a lot of work, and a lot of this:

But so far so good and the fact that it doesn't rub at all, even in reverse at full lock (which was always the worst for me) is just awesome. I did it mostly by myself and without taking the wheels off. It'd be a lot faster with a lift, but it wasn't too bad this way either. The only real pain in the ass was hammering out the pinch weld, haha.