1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truxedo covers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by amp3d, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    amp3d

amp3d [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    Hi guys,
    I'm looking at picking up a Truxedo roll up cover. There are a couple models they make for our trucks, but I have a little question for anyone that has one.

Main question: when completely in the rolled up position, how much bed space does it use up? I'm hoping very little. I weekly load motocross bikes up there into my 5' bed, so it's already a very tight squeeze (with the tailgate open). If the rolled up tonneau sits up on the bulkhead or against the cab, it shouldn't interfere too much but if it sits on the "inside" of the bed then I might have an issue. Right now I have a cheap button up cover, when rolled up my bike tire squishes it a bit, but doesn't bother the tonneau.

Second question: Height...does anyone know how high above the sides of the bed this sits? I know Truxedo is pushing the low profile stuff now, but I'm curious. I actually use every inch that I can in height as well, so much so the low profile is actually the opposite of what would be ideal :)

Thanks for your input!

2. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    weather techs, 20precent tint, leveling kit, back flip bed cover, rhino liner
    I've got one for sale :)

3. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    And for your questions it maybe rolls up to a 5 inch roll? Maybe a little bigger. You would have plenty of room to load a bike. And it sits flush with the bed rails

4. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    You loose 2 to 4 inches side to side. Nothing for height and not much up front. Maybe 5" as previously pointed out.

5. Jun 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    X2 I have the low pro QT, when rolled up it doesn't take up much room. as far as height with it rolled out you won't fit anything taller than the bed rails.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the only pic I have of it rolled up.
    [​IMG]

6. Jun 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    amp3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    wow thanks guys for the responses, you have been very helpful!
    It's definitely going to be a tight fit though.

When you say the rolled tonneau sites flush with the bed rails, are you referring to the top of the box itself or the "inner rails of the truxedo"?

Basically, for my dirtbike to fit (5' box) I need the tailgate down and the front tire pushed up right AGAINST the front bulkhead. If the truxedo forces the front tire off the bulkhead, it may not work for me...

I'll try to get a picture of how my bike is set up and perhaps you guys will know better if you think it will work for me :)

If I go this route and get a truxedo and I do run into problems, is it easy enough to remove the entire tonneau quickly without tools? Quick release or anything?

Spruce...awesome truck!

7. Jun 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    If I remember correctly the cover can be pulled out with a clip. So if it does push the tire away you can unclip it up front.

8. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    amp3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    heres a photo of my setup so you guys can see the little issue I'm debating :)

I definately want one of these covers! If I have to remove it and its simple to do, then thats what I'll do!

IMG_2340[1].jpg
    IMG_2342[1].jpg

9. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    It's super simple to remove, just undo the 4 aluminum hooks and the cover comes off

10. Jun 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    amp3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    4 aluminum hooks? In the diagrams it looks like plastic sliding switches sorta? We are talking about removing the rolled cover right?
    See step 3: http://truxedo.com/dealer/documents/1116967-Lo-Pro-QT-Manual.pdf

Is that pdf wrong?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  11. Jun 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    Thanks man. The top of the cover sits about 3/4" above the top of the bed rail. The cover brackets bolt into the track for the tie downs. With the cover rolled up I dont think it will be a problem for your bike, it shouldn't be much different than the one you have. The only thing I see that might be a problem is the cover frame rail that runs across the bulkhead, it sticks out a little maybe an 1" to 1 1/2".
    [​IMG]

12. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    Ya 4 aluminum hooks to take the rails and everything off.

13. Jun 7, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    amp3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    Thanks for all your help, photos, and dimensions. Thanks again!

I think I'll go with this cover :)

Products Discussed in

To Top