Notices

Truxedo covers

Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
amp3d is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
amp3d's Tacoma Gallery
Truxedo covers

Hi guys,
I'm looking at picking up a Truxedo roll up cover. There are a couple models they make for our trucks, but I have a little question for anyone that has one.

Main question: when completely in the rolled up position, how much bed space does it use up? I'm hoping very little. I weekly load motocross bikes up there into my 5' bed, so it's already a very tight squeeze (with the tailgate open). If the rolled up tonneau sits up on the bulkhead or against the cab, it shouldn't interfere too much but if it sits on the "inside" of the bed then I might have an issue. Right now I have a cheap button up cover, when rolled up my bike tire squishes it a bit, but doesn't bother the tonneau.

Second question: Height...does anyone know how high above the sides of the bed this sits? I know Truxedo is pushing the low profile stuff now, but I'm curious. I actually use every inch that I can in height as well, so much so the low profile is actually the opposite of what would be ideal

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

Name: Matt
04trd's Tacoma Gallery
I've got one for sale
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
And for your questions it maybe rolls up to a 5 inch roll? Maybe a little bigger. You would have plenty of room to load a bike. And it sits flush with the bed rails
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
You loose 2 to 4 inches side to side. Nothing for height and not much up front. Maybe 5" as previously pointed out.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04trd View Post
And for your questions it maybe rolls up to a 5 inch roll? Maybe a little bigger. You would have plenty of room to load a bike. And it sits flush with the bed rails
X2 I have the low pro QT, when rolled up it doesn't take up much room. as far as height with it rolled out you won't fit anything taller than the bed rails.

This is the only pic I have of it rolled up.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
amp3d's Tacoma Gallery
wow thanks guys for the responses, you have been very helpful!
It's definitely going to be a tight fit though.

When you say the rolled tonneau sites flush with the bed rails, are you referring to the top of the box itself or the "inner rails of the truxedo"?

Basically, for my dirtbike to fit (5' box) I need the tailgate down and the front tire pushed up right AGAINST the front bulkhead. If the truxedo forces the front tire off the bulkhead, it may not work for me...

I'll try to get a picture of how my bike is set up and perhaps you guys will know better if you think it will work for me

If I go this route and get a truxedo and I do run into problems, is it easy enough to remove the entire tonneau quickly without tools? Quick release or anything?

Spruce...awesome truck!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
If I remember correctly the cover can be pulled out with a clip. So if it does push the tire away you can unclip it up front.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
amp3d's Tacoma Gallery
heres a photo of my setup so you guys can see the little issue I'm debating

I definately want one of these covers! If I have to remove it and its simple to do, then thats what I'll do!
Attached Thumbnails
Truxedo covers-img_2340-1-.jpg   Truxedo covers-img_2342-1-.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
It's super simple to remove, just undo the 4 aluminum hooks and the cover comes off
Old 06-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
amp3d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's super simple to remove, just undo the 4 aluminum hooks and the cover comes off
4 aluminum hooks? In the diagrams it looks like plastic sliding switches sorta? We are talking about removing the rolled cover right?
See step 3: http://truxedo.com/dealer/documents/...-QT-Manual.pdf

Is that pdf wrong?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
Spruce...awesome truck!
Thanks man. The top of the cover sits about 3/4" above the top of the bed rail. The cover brackets bolt into the track for the tie downs. With the cover rolled up I dont think it will be a problem for your bike, it shouldn't be much different than the one you have. The only thing I see that might be a problem is the cover frame rail that runs across the bulkhead, it sticks out a little maybe an 1" to 1 1/2".
Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #12

04trd's Tacoma Gallery
Ya 4 aluminum hooks to take the rails and everything off.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
amp3d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya 4 aluminum hooks to take the rails and everything off.
Thanks for all your help, photos, and dimensions. Thanks again!

I think I'll go with this cover