Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I ReGear???

Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Should I ReGear???

I'm a '01, 3.4, TRD, SR5, PreRunner.

I'm about to jump up in tire size from the 265/70/16 AT to 255/85/16 MT.

My question is, should I regear the rear diff?

Gears have never been switched so I'm running on stock 4.10 gears
I have the 3" lift and it drives just like it did before the lift. My concern is going to bigger, beefier tires that weight a lot more.

I know it's not a race truck but to me Ive always felt a little struggle when taking off from a complete stop. I'm concerned about adding to the struggle with the heavier tires.

I was thinking 4.88's, possibly Nitro's. But I'm not set on those. OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS

Also, I'm not gonna do this job, so should any good mechanic know how to properly install. Or should I take it to someone who knows tacomas?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt bother.

4.88s for 35s. but honestly with the v6 you are fine.

many shops send entire thirds away and buy new ones when they do a regear, it is more cost effective for the shop to do it that way. Might end up being 600 for a regear. or you can find a shop that will do it in house. Any capable mechanic that actually knows how to do a regear can do it. not that hard if you have the tools and have done em before. the gears themselves are probably about 200 then a rebuild kit of 50+, then add labor unless you can find a friend.

so no, dont bother regearing
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
spend that money on a locker
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post

he has one
i dont see where it says he has one.. haha, i know it does say its a sr5 though..

edit: not a smart ass comment btw
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
i dont see where it says he has one.. haha, i know it does say its a sr5 though..

edit: not a smart ass comment btw
didn't realize i would get a chance to use this TW meme so quickly but...

EDIT: RIGHT NEXT TO SR5!!!!!!
Quote:
I'm a '01, 3.4, TRD, SR5, PreRunner.
picture one of his build

Attached Thumbnails
Should I ReGear???-1tr20.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Quote:
didn't realize i would get a chance to use this TW meme so....
real cute mark. i bet youre fapping cause its sooooooo funny...

i never look at fisrt gen stuff, when i see something is TRD.. its either off road or sport (im a 2nd gen guy). hence the reason i said spend it on a locker.

anothther comment that i could care less about or not that anyone read, ******s like mark are the reason why im so fucking sick of TW. its all about fucking memes and e-fabbers.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #9

Quote:

i never look at fisrt gen stuff, when i see something is TRD.. its either off road or sport (im a 2nd gen guy). hence the reason i said spend it on a locker.

anothther comment that i could care less about or not that anyone read, ******s like mark are the reason why im so fucking sick of TW. its all about fucking memes and e-fabbers.

thanks for a good laugh. I think you are a little bit butt mad sir.

how are you able to give useful credible advice to someone if you can't even take the time to read the first line of his post?

if this is your excuse " i never look at fisrt gen stuff, when i see something is TRD.. its either off road or sport (im a 2nd gen guy)" why are you trying to give advice in the first gen section? It's just plain freaking stupid. If you are going to try to give useful advice, take the time to know the slightest bit about what you are giving advice on.

Also no need for name calling.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #10
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You both herped when you should've derped. Go to bed, it's late. The adults will be here in the morning to handle this
Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Aww man, I was excited about reading people's opinions on wether or not I should re-gear. But this was funny too thanks for the morning laugh

Can anyone else give me their opinion on if I should gear it up or leave the stock 4.10?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Professional Web Wheeler

Personal preference really. Some won't do and and be happy. Some will reheat and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Do you know what my approach is to giving 2nd gens guys advice? I pay attention first. There are so many different 2nd gen configurations and trim line and traction control BS that I don't know shit about, that I hold my tongue. Just a thought.

But then regear question answered with "get a locker"? That's just derp. How does a locker help with power?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Is that Batman?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Is that Batman?
Nananananananana BATMAN!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
Aww man, I was excited about reading people's opinions on wether or not I should re-gear. But this was funny too thanks for the morning laugh

Can anyone else give me their opinion on if I should gear it up or leave the stock 4.10?

Thanks!!!
Hey now, I think I covered it pretty well in my first post. It will probably feel a tad more sluggish at first but after a little while you won't notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Is that Batman?
ya hahaha. You should see all the memes we have turned him into, I think he replaced me from last year. Not nearly as derp face, but he has some pics that are well deserving of a caption.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
didn't realize i would get a chance to use this TW meme so quickly but...

EDIT: RIGHT NEXT TO SR5!!!!!!

picture one of his build

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
You both herped when you should've derped. Go to bed, it's late. The adults will be here in the morning to handle this

I vote re-gear, OP!!!! Not only will it help your gas milage and restore power, it will reduce a lot of strain placed on your engine, transmission, and entire drive line afore the diff. If you have the cash, it's a VERY good idea. You could probably get away without regearing, but it's not ideal.

Nitro is great, that's what I've got and I have zero complaints... Got a very nice pattern setting them up (indicates a well designed gear), and they've held up to my 37" tires since I've installed them. (ie: very strong)

As for install, e-mail ZUK and see what he'd charge you http://gearinstalls.com/. He's one of the best in the buisness.

Maybe I missed it, but what transmission do you have?

EDIT: I see you have an auto... unless more than 80% of your driving is on the freeway, or if you don't mind the slightly higher RPM at high speeds, go 4.88s!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say go with 4.56 or 4.88 gears if your sticking with 33's.
I'm probably re-gearing to 4.56 with 33's
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I went to skinny 33's on my 2nd gen and it dogged out my 4.0L on the freeway so I went to 4.88's and I love it!