LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird noise coming from engine bay??

Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Weird noise coming from engine bay??

I have heard a noise lately and it sounds like 2 metal pieces either rubbing together or maybe something loose below the cab. I have a 2001 6 speed manual. Any thought on what it might be? It usually occurs around 35-40 MPH and it continues to occur even at speeds of 65 and 70. It gets louder as I release the clutch and only stops when I come to a stop. It is not in the engine itself because I have shut it off to try and isolate the problem area and it still is audible even when the engine is completely off. Any mechanics out there who know what this might be or anyone have any other instances of this?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
More info needed..
Clutch coupled or de-coupled?? Change pitch with engine speed and/or road speed?? What gear??
Warm or cold drivetrain??
Perhaps pilot or throwout bearing based on what you've stated so far. But possibly driveshaft carrier bearing.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Same pitch throughout. Starting in 4th gear and continues in 5th. Warm drivetrain.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
6-speed?????
i thought they only came in 5-speed
Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #5

5 speed with reverse so "technically" 6 speed.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
ohi guess that would make sence then
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
If it is isolated to 4th and 5th gear, I would suggest something is a miss in the tranny. Drain the fluid to see if there any shavings. I would suggest straining the fluid through a coffee filter to catch any thing.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
cadman is just really nicecadman is just really nicecadman is just really nicecadman is just really nice

cadman's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to cadman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Denney View Post
5 speed with reverse so "technically" 6 speed.
tecnically you count forward gears. 5 speed, reverse is a given.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #9

I know, I know. I'm just saying.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
High Mileage Work
tmantstud is on a distinguished road

tmantstud's Tacoma Gallery
I had something like that where it rattled around 2000 rpm. Try looking at the exhaust pipe where it bends up towards the engine bay, for mine there was a loose clamp that i removed and replaced.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Heat shield? Been offroad lately? Ck brakes for obstructions, pebbles, debris in drums? Ck the cat too.. I have heard/seen a few where the ceramic honeycomb breaks loose and rattles around in the housing..
Definitely ck the gearbox fluid and front diff fluid too..
Old 02-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Heat shield? Been offroad lately? Ck brakes for obstructions, pebbles, debris in drums? Ck the cat too.. I have heard/seen a few where the ceramic honeycomb breaks loose and rattles around in the housing..
Definitely ck the gearbox fluid and front diff fluid too..
Went mudding a couple times in the last couple weeks. I will definitely check those spots though. I took off the rims recently but didn't notice anything unusual but I will for sure double check. So your saying, gearbox most likely?